U18: WJC U18 - Grand Forks, North Dakota (14th - 24rd April)

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
Don't think that was a penalty I think the refs are just trying slow down the game. Either way 9-1

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Keep hitting the Yanks. Despite the beating the guys are battling hard out there. Getting chippy right now for both sides.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Brown was terrible at the Hlinka camp and did not deserve to be on the team. If they just hand out spots it sends the wrong message.

That is not what i remember reading from writers that were covering the camp. They felt that Brown deserved to be on the team, and at minimum the 13th forward. They chose a lot of Westerners on the team, and Brown was left out. Brown was not happy and did not speak to the media when he was cut. Do not blame him for picking USA.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Yeah, it really is refreshing to see Canada get totally pummeled in junior hockey.

You should enjoy it while you can. It doesn't happen too often but if it is going to it's this tournament.
Playing a stacked team that plays together all year is a pretty tough task for a team picked before and after the tournament games have already started. Missing at least 14 of what would be our best U18 team.

The difference is that we can do that others can't. Builds character lol.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
That is not what i remember reading from writers that were covering the camp. They felt that Brown deserved to be on the team, and at minimum the 13th forward. They chose a lot of Westerners on the team, and Brown was left out. Brown was not happy and did not speak to the media when he was cut. Do not blame him for picking USA.

Everyone sees things differently. I watched every scrimmage and he was not one of the top 13 forwards, I posted about it on here somewhere.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm not really bothered by this game. Let's remember this US team is an actual team. A very good team, yes, but I wonder if other countries had a similar program how good would the US team look then? Not as good I would bet.

Let's not throw our guys under the bus because of this game.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
By the way. To other Canadians following along here, if we have to put duals on our roster just to ensure that they remain Canadian and want to continue to play as Canadians then I think there is something wrong with that.

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not really bothered by this game. Let's remember this US team is an actual team. A very good team, yes, but I wonder if other countries had a similar program how good would the US team look then? Not as good I would bet.

Let's not throw our guys under the bus because of this game.

I seen this outcome happening today, with the emotionally charged game yesterday and the change at the Gold Medal lost. With a bit of luck, Canada (which on the whole was the better team last night), should have been in the GMG today. However, that is hockey. No need to throw any of these guys under the bus. They had a decent tournament on the whole, and with a few lucky bounces Canada would have been in the Final today. It is what it is.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If we had a team of our very best U18s playing together for a year you would see results like you see at the Ivan Hlinka.

We're missing well over 2/3rds of our best players due to the WHL, OHL, and Q playoffs.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Congrats to the USA. They played a very good game, definitely deserved the win.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

Who cares what parts of the country the players come from. Canada won the tournament so clearly the roster was fine.

If getting cut from a team meant he decided to go play for the USA, I don't really care. HC should not be making roster decisions just to avoid upsetting someone.

satbank

Jan 11, 2014
Dominating performance from team USA. :)
I was hoping for more competitive game though.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Graham McPhee's (plays for the US under 18 team) dad is co GM of Team Canada at the upcoming World Championships. Now that's ****ed:laugh:

Only in Canada :laugh:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Dominating performance from team USA. :)
I was hoping for more competitive game though.

Outside of that first period collapse, it was relatively close . You can't give up 6 in a period, plain and simple.

Congrats again to the USA, they were the better team today and certainly deserved to win the Bronze.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
This is tied for Canada U18's worst defeat in history (the other seven goal defeat being the 10:3 match against the US on April 18, 2002).

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
against weak opponent apparently, yesterday they didn't look so fantastic

Ok a tired and disheartened TC didn't show up for the bronze game...But they beat Suomi in the round robin and dominated Tre Kronor, for the most part , yesterday...everywhere but on the score sheet which was even steven right up until the skills competition...

With a bit more puck luck they'd still be unbeaten and playing for Gold

No need to disparage our B Team....they had a damn fine tourney overall!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ok a tired and disheartened TC didn't show up for the bronze game...But they beat Suomi in the round robin and dominated Tre Kronor, for the most part , yesterday...everywhere but on the score sheet which was even steven right up until the skills competition...

With a bit more puck luck they'd still be unbeaten and playing for Gold

No need to disparage our B Team....they had a damn fine tourney overall!

Agreed.

If not for the skills competition at the end they probably would be playing the Finns for gold right now. Not bad considering 14 of our best U-18 players weren't there.

As frustrating as the last game was, the boys battled hard all tournament and didn't quit. They deserved much better than the way it ended, but way it goes sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad