U18: WJC semis GDT

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Congrats Russia.

Hockey is a game of inches. Huges hits the crossbar, the US had multiple power plays but the Russians held them to the outside and the Russian goalie was superb. Not to take anything away from the US goalie, he played well.

The Russians IMO played an almost perfect tactical game.
The US played without adjusting, trying to be fancy with all their passing.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
But they really made it easy on him too, there was no real movement from them and they were half fumbling the puck and................

Not to take anything away from the guy though, he was brilliant all game long basically.

Ice was really chopped up. They didn’t adjust their attempts to account for it.

Reactions: jj cale

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
This wasn't the best ever Russian team but certainly not mediocre. They could've ended the game during the OT period as well.
Meh, they created chances but didn’t have enough skill to finish them.

I’m mostly unimpressed by this year at all. Hughes is gonna be good, and I guess Kakko too, but besides it I just don’t like it. Some of USNTDP guys should work out just from the sheer volume of point producing forwards but I don’t see get a future star feeling from any of them. Outside of the USA the field is really uninspiring compared to other years and overall this draft feels worse than 2018 but better than 2017.

Russian players this year are also decidedly boring. Yet another year without defenders since Knyazev stopped progressing, no exciting goalies, forwards feel like future grinders. Podkolzin as your yearly Russian star winger is surely different but I’d prefer a more straight forward type. Sure, you can get a Hossa or a Radulov type player if he makes it but if he doesn’t he’ll become just another grinder.

I’m all aboard the Askarov hype train though.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
We don't want to have #5 and #9 on the ice this much. Both are really struggling. And where is Raymond and Holtz?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad