U18: WJC semis GDT

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
The officiating wasn't that bad. Only call they got wrong was when they called Schneider for the cross-check on Henriksson. Canadian brain can't handle a loss.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Well Canada was gifted a spot in the GMG at the Hlinka-Gretzky tournament. Sometimes things won't go your way you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: STHLM

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
The officiating could have been better but the best team won imo

Mauler

Dec 19, 2015
It's not whining. I don't support bad officiating no matter who it goes against.
Ofcourse but you cant say that Canada lost just because of the referees because that is not true but sure they made alot of mistakes today i dont deny that

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
They absolutely did. How many penalties called against Canada that were bogus? How many missed calls that should have gone against Sweden? The GWG came off of a missed call. Yeah, the refs won this for Sweden. It's possible Sweden would have won otherwise, but that's not how it went down today.
I rarely pin wins or losses on refs, that is so easy to do and is a disease around here. That goal by Grewes, the goalie gave him far too much net and made it easy to snipe, is that on the refs?

All the time around here in international game losses the fans of the losing teams say it was the refs, this is simply impossible.

I simply will not engage in it, sorry.

TommySalo

Dec 27, 2009
Two best teams will meet at the final.
Referees are the ideal excuse for the losing team. Truth is Canada were not that good and USA choked badly /after all they had the best players, but obviously not the best team this year/.
Holtz is a f***in beast.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The officiating wasn't that bad. Only call they got wrong was when they called Zary for the cross-check on Henriksson. Canadian brain can't handle a loss.
How about the phantom hooking call, the interference on Zary down in the corner when he clearly didn't have the puck, and the crosscheck to the neck of Krebs right in front of the net. All these were in the last 5 minutes of the game, let alone the rest of the game. If you are going to call the one, then you have to call the other two.

Just a bad look for the tournament.

Reactions: cg98 and 780il

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
At the end of the day, Sweden played good enough to win. Obviously it was close all game long and could’ve gone either way. As a Canadian, I don’t care about the final outcomes of this particular tournament, just want to see the boys plays as much as possible. I think the matchups tomorrow are the best they could be in terms of entertainment value. I just really hope both Canada and the US bring their A-games, as I could easily see one or both playing poorly having lost out on the gold.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Chippy game yet 5 straight penalties against Canada while a lot of missed calls against Sweden. You’d be pretty biased not to think reffing played a big part in the win.

Was reffing brutal, yes.

It's funny though, when us swedish posters complain about reffing we're told to that we're sore losers, especially by Canadiens.

Reactions: Vesperia

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Regardless of a won or a loss this was a good stepping stone for some Canadian kids. A couple of under agers played well through the series, some others got to play in some exhibition games. Some 01 players got to play that otherwise wouldn't have and all seemed to play well enough. Remember we don't have our full U18 squad here. Things are in good hands.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Canada didn’t have luck in that game that is for sure.

But my take-away is still that it’s not the best team either. Krebs is all over the place with his passes and he just isnt that talented either. Harley doesn’t do much good at this level. Suzuki isn’t anything special. Pelletier doesn’t have an elite engine. It’s been like this for a while, kids are world-beaters in the CHL but then fall off a notch when they go and play against the best of their peers.

Newhook played really well and should maybe have been given a bigger role, Krebs can’t really think the game at his level. Cozens is a force. I think Kardan Karsczak will become one of the best defenders from this age group in the NHL. Rees is exactly what works in the game today and should go around top 15 in the draft.

But Sweden’s depth is just poor, especially at center. Still the only line that took advantage of them and dominated was the 1st, and mostly Cozens and Newhook contributed to that. Sweden’s 3rd and 4th line should really be dominated 3/4 shifts all game. They are just weak.

Reactions: thrillhous

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You can say a lot about the reffing, but the big issue from my POV was Henriksson’s dive. I’ve accused Canadian kids for diving and claimed that the Swedes haven’t done that. But that was an emballishment.

Genu

Mar 19, 2011
Finland
I rarely pin wins or losses on refs, that is so easy to do and is a disease around here. That goal by Grewes, the goalie gave him far too much net and made it easy to snipe, is that on the refs?

All the time around here in international game losses the fans of the losing teams say it was the refs, this is simply impossible.

I simply will not engage in it, sorry.
This is honestly the way to go, every game has bad calls and bad no-calls. Just something you have to accept. This time it seems like Sweden benefited more (didn't see the game), some day Canada will benefit more. It's just the way it goes.

Glad Sweden got through, hoping Raymond and Holtz can bring the gold to them!

Reactions: jj cale

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Swedes whooping it up in front of the Canadian bench is ****ing hilarious. What is wrong with that country? Unbelievable antics in victory and defeat.

Dominated 5 on 5 but that somehow correlated with a 6-2 advantage in power plays. These boys look like they want a cookie.

Inferiority complex, they've been beaten by Canada so many times, they finally win a game gifted by the garbage Euro officiating and act like a bunch of clowns when they win.

Reactions: cg98

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I didn’t even see the game and I could tell you IIHF referees are garbage. This is the first time these Canadian players have played on big ice and the inexperience always shows even at u20s. I don’t doubt their talent, Sweden has a lot of talent as well.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How about the phantom hooking call, the interference on Zary down in the corner when he clearly didn't have the puck, and the crosscheck to the neck of Krebs right in front of the net. All these were in the last 5 minutes of the game, let alone the rest of the game. If you are going to call the one, then you have to call the other two.

Just a bad look for the tournament.

Don’t for a second think the ref saw the cross-check on Krebs in the neck/face, so much happening in that sequence.

But you can also say that the Grewe slash was a really weak call, and the last PP Canada got was also a really weak call.

The call that wasn’t good, besides from just being bad reffing, was the hook in the corner by the Canadian D. He tried to hook but didn’t get the gloves, when Sweden have had three PPs the ref should be sure of that call.

I would be annoyed to if it happend against Sweden.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This is honestly the way to go, every game has bad calls and bad no-calls. Just something you have to accept. This time it seems like Sweden benefited more (didn't see the game), some day Canada will benefit more. It's just the way it goes.

Glad Sweden got through, hoping Raymond and Holtz can bring the gold to them!
Pretty much!!

It just goes WAAAAAAAY over the top around here and starts to get into historical conspiracies and all that shit.

It's sports, some days it goes your way and others it doesn't, Canada didn't lose this game today because of the refs and sweden hasn't lost them because of them either.

It's madness.

Reactions: thrillhous

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Swedes whooping it up in front of the Canadian bench is ****ing hilarious. What is wrong with that country? Unbelievable antics in victory and defeat.

Dominated 5 on 5 but that somehow correlated with a 6-2 advantage in power plays. These boys look like they want a cookie.

They didn’t do that, they celebrated with the goalie and only the players on the ice in the corner in the Canadian zone skates past the Canadian bench. But if it makes you feel better... ;)

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Bye bye canada. It was payback for all canada cup tournaments you always got favored by the refs.

It is called karma.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
A loss is fine but no one likes to see horrible reffing. They let a lot go for Sweden at the end and called some pretty ticky tack penalties against Canada. Even Craig Button called out the refs.
Was craig button calling out the refs when sweden got 1 pp to canadas 6 at wjc 2018 final?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad