WJC Semifinal: Jan 3 GDT - Russia vs. Sweden

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
I guess a win is a win, but I was disappointed by Russia today. They started out nervous and ran around too much instead of forcing their game on the Sweden. Even once they took control partway through the first and continued to dominate in the second, their combinational play was rather poor. The defense looked shaky today as well and the transition to offense was rather as well despite this team being put together to mainly be a counterattack team. On the whole this was probably Russia's worst game of the tournament.

Man you are really humble. :sarcasm:

VladNYC*

I am Happy we won but that was a poor game by Russia. The Swedes beat them selves here. If we don't step it up, Canada will have an easy win.

phoow

Dec 6, 2006
Congratulations Russia for a well deserved win! :handclap:
The only thing that kept this game alive after the 2nd period was the crowd...

Here is my opinion on our teams players.

Junland looks promising.
Enroth was too shaky when it mattered the most. Bust?
Bergfors adds zero to the offence.
Bäckström looked uninterested.

Again congratulations :clap:

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
Man you are really humble. :sarcasm:

:D ... Then again... this may have been the first "team" they really played, and Sweden was horrible by all means (played complicated and lacked legs) according to the radio feed, so maybe it was two teams making one another struggle a bit.

I see Canada being a very tough nut to crack for this Russian team, but then again, the Bear goalie is stellar, and if he gets going early, Canada will have to watch out for the quick counter strikes of Russia.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
www.tsn.ca was only showing the live gamre in Canada I foiund out, but anyone anywhere who wants to catch the replay can apparently do so on the site

Kaktus*

No doubt 1st 10 minutes did not look too good for us.. but then we turned it on. Swedes played 20 minutes of hockey total. Russians did not even play 3rd period after that hit on Cherepanov. They were rolling 4 lines steady.

We need a better start against Canadians for sure. We are still a very high scoring fast team. I agree that RUS SWE game was not the best game and Russians got lucky in 1st 10 min.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
I guess a win is a win, but I was disappointed by Russia today. They started out nervous and ran around too much instead of forcing their game on the Sweden. Even once they took control partway through the first and continued to dominate in the second, their combinational play was rather poor. The defense looked shaky today as well and the transition to offense was rather as well despite this team being put together to mainly be a counterattack team. On the whole this was probably Russia's worst game of the tournament.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Didn't think Russia played particularly well, but got the win with a great offensive effort in the second period.

On another topic, I think that even though the PP has been very effective so far in the tournament, Russia could score even more if they didn't try the fanciest play all the time... but it's always been like that.

Varlamov looked stressed and shaky IMO.

Anyways, now we simply have to prepare for the Canucks and be ready for the big hits, because a very physical game start must be the gameplan, as it always is...

Berkut

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Didn't think Russia played particularly well, but got the win with a great offensive effort in the second period.

On another topic, I think that even though the PP has been very effective so far in the tournament, Russia could score even more if they didn't try the fanciest play all the time... but it's always been like that.

Varlamov looked stressed and shaky IMO.

Anyways, now we simply have to prepare for the Canucks and be ready for the big hits, because a very physical game start must be the gameplan, as it always is...
I don't know about that...I though they had too many blocked shots from the point. Especially on that 5on3...That's just stupid.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Well, the least crappy team of the day won. All things considered, it was a deserved victory for the Russians. Congratulations!

Sweden finishes 4th, no way they beat the US now, the speed and energy just isn't there, and there is no real steady team game to fall back on.

However, 4th is still an improvement after last year. It seems like Sweden improves one position every year now, so I expect Pääjärvi, Wallén and Lander to bring home to gold. ;)

phoow

Dec 6, 2006
I think we can put aside the Bäckström - Forsberg comparison for now.
Bäckström does not possess any of Forsbergs trademarks which is Grit, Vision and Heart. The expectations he has on him is too high.
Take a peek at Cherepanov for example, he was twice the player Bäckström is today and not many expected this kind of accomplishment from him.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Bäckström does not possess any of Forsbergs trademarks which is Grit, Vision and Heart. The expectations he has on him is too high.
Take a peek at Cherepanov for example, he was twice the player Bäckström is today and not many expected this kind of accomplishment from him.

True but you can't judge who's the better player based on one game.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden

No serious expert has compared Bäckströms grit and heart to Forsbergs. Only a handful of players in modern hockey can be compared to Forsberg in that area. But if you if you think Bäckström lacks vision, well then you and I have completely different ways of reading the game of hockey...
Bäckström posseses awesome vision and has proven it in EVERY game this tournament.

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar

:shakehead

No vision? Come on, he's the best playmaker in the SEL and he's just 19 years old. I don't think that you've watched many games with him at all.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
I think he is talented and has better understanding of the game than most players in his age. But Forsberg-like vision? no way
http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/sightsound/highlights/media/061231/2294.wmv

Bäckström had a bad game, and therefor don´t start guessing what kind of player Bäckström is.. based on one game.. we´ve seen him lots, lots and lots of games.

He won´t be as good as Forsberg.. but he has the same vision.. he is somewhere in between Zetterberg and Forsberg.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg

To bad that he didn't play Japan, im starting to think that he would have played better then, like Forsberg. :sarcasm:

You can't be judging a player, based on ONE game. Cherepanov played on a much better team, no question, so it's pretty ludacris to compare them.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA

Comparing Backstrom to Forsberg is only an exercise of possible future stardom for the guy, which is dumb as well. Playwise, Backstrom should be compared to Zetterberg, not Peter.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Congrats Russia!

Too bad Sweden didn't play the way they did against Canada and the USA when they were surprisingly physical throughout the whole game. And too bad the goal posts were on steroids today and stole three goals in the first period. ;)

But Russia deserved the win because Sweden didn't play a very good game, and made simple mistakes. So congrats Russia! :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad