GDT: WJC Preliminary Round: Game 19 | 12/31 | 5:00PM PST | Russia Vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
Can somebody DM me or just explain on here how the playoff seeding works? Thanks a ton

It's reverse cross seeding, with the top team in each group playing the bottom qualifying team from the other group. For example...

A1 vs B4
A2 vs B3
A3 vs B2
A4 vs B1

So this means the winner of this game will clinch the first place seed in Group A and will play Slovakia in the quarter finals, while the loser will finish 2nd and play the third seed from Group B, which will be the loser of Finland vs the U.S.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I fully expect a Canadian victory here. Key against Russia is to stay off of special teams it seems.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011
It is likely that Russia will lose this game, but a second place finish will put them in much better position than last year, when they finished third in their Group, and ended up losing in the QF's. Let's be honest, it is almost impossible for a visiting team to beat Canada in Canada, given the hockey environment in Canada. Canada is good enough not to need it, but now that the WJC is being held in Canada permanently, how is it even possible for Europeans or Americans to compete against them when the ice is tilted 40 degrees in their favor. It would take almost a superhuman effort to overcome those odds. It will be interesting to watch how well (or poorly) this group of Russians performs tonight, especially because the Kostin line seems to be waking from their deep sleep. I hope it is not 14-0.

Silly comments,
I like the 5 players on Russia’s first power play and Slepets or whatever his name is on the Pk.
After that not overly impressed with Russia so far,
Canada should win by 2 goals
But ... New Year’s Eve for us old timers is Canada / Russia
Brings back some great hockey memories

Reactions: jj cale

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Ah geez..............................will you stop it please?

I mean the Americans beat us on home ice just two freaking years ago!!

This same stuff every year isn't legitimate hockey discussion in good faith it's just hate driven propaganda.

Stop pretending that what I'm saying is not 100% correct! In the 10 year decade between 2011-2020, the tournament will have been held in Canada or Buffalo, which is a suburb of Toronto on the Canadian border and where Canadian fans overwhelm even the local American fans (who are largely apathetic to its existence), 7 of 10 times, or 70% of the time. The Americans are a little better equipped to cope with the competitive imbalance, because they don't have to cross the ocean to compete. I look at last year, when Sweden seemed to clearly be the better team, and yet somehow lost because of what unbiasd eyes viewed as "environmental factors." Blame the irrelevance of this tournament outside of Canada on the destruction of competitive balance by corporate greed on the part of the Canadian television network TSN, Hockey Canada and the IIHF. It has been reduced to positioning for the NHL draft.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So is this 4 games in 5 nights for Russia? I don't even think that's a possibility in the NHL. That's crazy.
Every team plays 4 games in 6 nights at most. Slovakia has already played 4 in 5 nights, and Kazakhstan will play their 4th in 5 nights as well. Just how this tournament is.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Stop pretending that what I'm saying is not 100% correct! In the 10 year decade between 2011-2020, the tournament will have been held in Canada or Buffalo, which is a suburb of Toronto on the Canadian border and where Canadian fans overwhelm even the local American fans (who are largely apathetic to its existence), 7 of 10 times, or 70% of the time. The Americans are a little better equipped to cope with the competitive imbalance, because they don't have to cross the ocean to compete. I look at last year, when Sweden seemed to clearly be the better team, and yet somehow lost because of what unbiasd eyes viewed as "environmental factors." Blame the irrelevance of this tournament outside of Canada on the destruction of competitive balance by corporate greed on the part of the Canadian television network TSN, Hockey Canada and the IIHF. It has been reduced to positioning for the NHL draft.
Wow you are really diving head first into this one huh? Sweden lost because of "Environmental factors"? That is a big ole yikes right there. Drink responsibly tonight people. Yakushev is on the sauce.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Got any swig left for us to sip on?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

Not even worth replying to but I will. I wish you would just stop this stuff, it adds nothing to serious hockey discussion.

Just earlier this week you were going on about Canada and it's fans as villains because of what happened in the Denmark game. Then another poster asked when was the last time a blowout like that happened and someone pointed out it was a Russian trashing of some team years ago and then they showed a post of you in that game defending the Russians laying it on hard and thick, saying they couldn't afford to let up. You got totally exposed for what you do around here.

You must think people are really stupid if they can't see through your bias.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017

I can confirm, it's an anti-american, anti-european, anti-kremlin conspiracy by Canada focused on bringing down those pesky nations. Because no nhl teams hve draft picks from those nations.

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Buffalo , Canada ...got a nice ring to it .I guess Detroit is a suburb of Windsor, just over the Ambassador bridge ...haha

Last edited:

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Don't be blind. If Russia loses it means nothing because the ice will be tilted exactly 40 degrees in Canada's favour. If Russia wins it will be a superhuman victory worthy of the finest of Tchaikovsky. This is especially true when we consider how the refs will inevitably give Canada ten unjust penalties just to appease the rabid Canadian legions in attendance and to earn the ample loonies that the Canadian government has surely paid them. So thoroughly has Canada stacked the deck against these humble Russian comrades that even keeping it close will be miraculous victory for Mother Russia!

Collusion

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
It is likely that Russia will lose this game, but a second place finish will put them in much better position than last year, when they finished third in their Group, and ended up losing in the QF's. Let's be honest, it is almost impossible for a visiting team to beat Canada in Canada, given the hockey environment in Canada. Canada is good enough not to need it, but now that the WJC is being held in Canada permanently, how is it even possible for Europeans or Americans to compete against them when the ice is tilted 40 degrees in their favor. It would take almost a superhuman effort to overcome those odds. It will be interesting to watch how well (or poorly) this group of Russians performs tonight, especially because the Kostin line seems to be waking from their deep sleep. I hope it is not 14-0.

Let odd acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind...Happy New Year

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
Buffalo , Canada ...got a nice ring to it .I guess Detroit is a suburb of Windsor, just over the Ambassador bridge ...haha

Windsor, my hometown or as the song goes...born and raised in South Detroit. There is no south Detroit...unless you're in Windsor. That must have been the reason they played Don't Stop Believin' at the old Joe Louis.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If Russia had lost last night, I'd like their chances more than I do. But, given the fact that they had to come back and win against the Swiss - which will take a lot out of any team, and now they are playing the most talented team on home ice, I can't see Russia winning.

As others have said, Canada by a minimum of 2.

Last edited:

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Holy shit you’re in deep!
Canada hasn’t been as impressive as I’d thought they’d be this year. I can see the Kostin line and Romanov keeping it close and uncomfortable for them.

Old Watcher

Dec 30, 2018
I'm wondering why nobody is talking about Russian discipline and dirty work?

As a Canadian, I do hope they continue to rely on their prowess at 4 on 5 hockey. Good luck with that.

No discipline whatsoever.

They have talent, showed desire when on the ropes, and continued to be stupid about their anger issues.

Butt end? Hilarious that he thought it would fly.

If Russia can't tone down the stupid they're toast. Otherwise....if they can find discipline, it should be a great match-up.

I'm old enough to remember them kicking people with their skates quite clearly. I remember BC's ankle biter. I also remember Mark Messier laying a forehead wide open for emphasis. It was a little late (a few years) but very effective. The dirt is old with the Russians.

A Russian victory over Team Canada is still better than a Swedish one. The Russians fight for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad