GDT: WJC Preliminary Round: Game 19 | 12/31 | 5:00PM PST | Russia Vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
WJC-19.jpg

Full Tournament Schedule: IIHF - Schedule and Results 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship
Game Info: Game Summary

full

Russia
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Goaltenders:
Pyotr Kochetkov (G)
Amir Miftakhov (G)
Daniil Tarasov (G)

Defensemen:
Alexander Alexeyev (D)
Ilya Morozov (D)
Saveli Olshansky (D/F)
Alexander Romanov (D)
Mark Rubinchik (D)
Dmitri Samorukov (D)
Danila Zhuravlyov (D)

Forwards:
Grigori Denisenko (LW)
Artyom Galimov (F)
Klim Kostin (C/W)
Nikolai Kovalenko (RW)
Vitali Kravtsov (RW)
Kirill Marchenko (RW/LW)
Ivan D. Morozov (C)
Ivan Muranov (W)
Vasili Podkolzin (W)
Pavel Shen (C)
Kirill Slepets (RW)
Stepan Starkov (F)

1 Roster Spots Available - Still in Camp
Yevgeni Kalabushkin (D/F)
Alexander Khovanov (C)
Nikita Shashkov (F)

full

Canada
Confirmed Tournament Roster

Goaltenders:
1 Michael DiPietro
# Ian Scott

Defensemen:
2 Evan Bouchard
3 Josh Brook
4 Jared McIsaac
5 Ian Mitchell
6 Noah Dobson
18 Marcus Phillips
24 Ty Smith

Forwards:
11 Jaret Anderson-Dolan (C)
15 Shane Bowers (C)
14 Maxime Comtois (LW)
16 MacKenzie Entwistle (RW)
26 Morgan Frost (C)
8 Cody Glass (C)
27 Barrett Hayton (C)
22 Alexis Lafrenière (LW)
# Brett Leason (C)
23 Jack Studnicka (C)
17 Nick Suzuki (C)
21 Owen Tippett (RW/LW)
9 Joseph Veleno (C)

Scratched:

Do not ask for or provide links to illegal streams.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
Canada will take this, I think.

Although Russia has more upside IMO, their game is too raw still and will peak in playoffs.

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
I'd like to see Russia win just to mess with the quarter finals match ups, it would also make the U.S. vs Finland game a little more interesting with the higher stakes, but I think Canada will win.

I can't remember the last time Russia beat Canada in the preliminary round, and for that matter I can't remember the last time Russia even won all of their preliminary games.

Passionis

Dec 10, 2015
I'd like to see Russia win just to mess with the quarter finals match ups, it would also make the U.S. vs Finland game a little more interesting with the higher stakes, but I think Canada will win.

I can't remember the last time Russia beat Canada in the preliminary round, and for that matter I can't remember the last time Russia even won all of their preliminary games.

2007 is last time they've won the group.

The reason they do so well in playoffs vs round robin is their micro cycle conditioning designed to peak 1-2 weeks after unloading, it's straight out of Soviet atheltics and no one else is doing such an intense pre-tournament as far as I could find. Heavy workload right up to the tournament, recovery during round robin and peak in playoffs. Works well most of the time.

This is another small reason Bragin prefers players from Russia

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
After last night's come from behind win, the Russians will have a let down.

I expect Canada to win.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Should be a good one. I'll go 4-3 Canada bu I could see a big margin for either team.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I know it's not going to make sense but to play better going forward Russians have to lose...
Create adversity early..

I love Canada vs Russia games. It does not get any better for me..

Reactions: Cotton

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Russia improved yesterday, should be a better game, unless they are tired, Canada have easily been the best so far.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Hmm, hard to pick this one. I'll go 5-4 Russia winning in a shootout or in O.T time. Wake up call game for TC heading into the play downs.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It is likely that Russia will lose this game, but a second place finish will put them in much better position than last year, when they finished third in their Group, and ended up losing in the QF's. Let's be honest, it is almost impossible for a visiting team to beat Canada in Canada, given the hockey environment in Canada. Canada is good enough not to need it, but now that the WJC is being held in Canada permanently, how is it even possible for Europeans or Americans to compete against them when the ice is tilted 40 degrees in their favor. It would take almost a superhuman effort to overcome those odds. It will be interesting to watch how well (or poorly) this group of Russians performs tonight, especially because the Kostin line seems to be waking from their deep sleep. I hope it is not 14-0.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
It is likely that Russia will lose this game, but a second place finish will put them in much better position than last year, when they finished third in their Group, and ended up losing in the QF's. Let's be honest, it is almost impossible for a visiting team to beat Canada in Canada, given the hockey environment in Canada. Canada is good enough not to need it, but now that the WJC is being held in Canada permanently, how is it even possible for Europeans or Americans to compete against them when the ice is tilted 40 degrees in their favor. It would take almost a superhuman effort to overcome those odds. It will be interesting to watch how well (or poorly) this group of Russians performs tonight, especially because the Kostin line seems to be waking from their deep sleep. I hope it is not 14-0.

Ah geez..............................will you stop it please?

I mean the Americans beat us on home ice just two freaking years ago!!

This same stuff every year isn't legitimate hockey discussion in good faith it's just hate driven propaganda.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Ah geez..............................will you stop it please?

I mean the Americans beat us on home ice just two freaking years ago!!

Don't be blind. If Russia loses it means nothing because the ice will be tilted exactly 40 degrees in Canada's favour. If Russia wins it will be a superhuman victory worthy of the finest of Tchaikovsky. This is especially true when we consider how the refs will inevitably give Canada ten unjust powerplays just to appease the rabid Canadian legions in attendance and to earn the ample loonies that the Canadian government has surely paid them. So thoroughly has Canada stacked the deck against these humble Russian comrades that even keeping it close will be miraculous victory for Mother Russia!

Last edited:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007

The WJC is not always being held in Canada now, next year it's in Czechia.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Don't be blind. If Russia loses it means nothing because the ice will be tilted exactly 40 degrees in Canada's favour. If Russia wins it will be a superhuman victory worthy of the finest of Tchaikovsky. This is especially true when we consider how the refs will inevitably give Canada ten unjust penalties just to appease the rabid Canadian legions in attendance and to earn the ample loonies that the Canadian government has surely paid them. So thoroughly has Canada stacked the deck against these humble Russian comrades that even keeping it close will be miraculous victory for Mother Russia!
Haha!!............................couldn't have said it better.:thumbu:

It's so frustrating though, it takes away from the real fans who want to discuss the game objectively.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

This is really sad. I actually feel bad for you.

Reactions: Juppy61 and jj cale

Fried Tree Sap

May 12, 2016
2007 is last time they've won the group.

The reason they do so well in playoffs vs round robin is their micro cycle conditioning designed to peak 1-2 weeks after unloading, it's straight out of Soviet atheltics and no one else is doing such an intense pre-tournament as far as I could find. Heavy workload right up to the tournament, recovery during round robin and peak in playoffs. Works well most of the time.

This is another small reason Bragin prefers players from Russia

There is also something to be said for the age old adage that it's hard to beat the same team twice in a single tournament. I don't know if there is any statistical precedence for it, but Sweden and Finland are certainly perfect contrasting examples for how success in the prelims means nothing in the medal round. Russia also embodies this to an extent, although their lack of recent gold medals puts a slight damper on that theory.

*Also, I completely forgot but Russia actually won their group in 2016.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Always look forward to a game against Russia. Can’t wait.

Go Canada Go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad