Status
Not open for further replies.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
The Old Master said:
i saw the 2 game malkin clearly was the better player! unles ao is scoreing his play suffers some. little backchecking few hits ect. i don't remember ao cleaning anybodys clock like em did

Well...we all have our opinions. No sense in arguing about it...I still say its pretty silly to have an opinion on who "played" better in the games you didnt actually see....fact is....Ovechkin was named best forward and on the all-tourny team...and Malkin was not. The people that came up with that actually saw the games

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Boucicaut said:
Congrats to Team Canada. They were clearly the best team this year and deserved to win. To me, this team looks like the strongest that Canada has ever fielded. However, it is not taking away from the team when people state simple facts like many other teams fielding one of their weakest teams in recent years. That was the truth. I don't understand what's your problem with that.

About the final game: if the russian goalies would have played a decent game, it would have been a much tighter, enjoyable game instead of a blowout. They sucked in a few easy goals, and the team couldn't recover. Very few teams can, when they suddenly realize they can't trust their goalies. Remember, first period was pretty even still, with Canada dominating slightly but not rolling over the Russians.

And to Firebear: I really didn't see very many people predicting that Canada woudn't win. About 90 % of people from all nations had Canada winning, including myself.
I am simply saying that using that weak team scenario is a bit of a cop out. Was Russia a strong team? Yes!

As far as the goalie situation goes, you never know what will happen in a short tourney. You can blame the goalies all you want, but if you watched that game, you would have to concede that the Russians were completely frustrated, and that is how Canada played them.

The way the Canadians were playing on both sides of the puck, it wouldn't have mattered if you had Khabibulin instead of Khudobin!

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Macman said:
My problem with it is simple. Most non-Canadians on these boards weren't saying that. We were told that once Canada got into the crossovers, they would finally meet their match. We were told that the Russians play against men and were thus superior to the Canadians who play against boys. When Canada wins there is always some excuse to denigrate the performance, be it goonism, cheating, home ice, whatever. Now it's weak opponents. Russia had two of the most highly touted prospects to come along in years and we were told how they would manhandle the Canadians and how they were physical specimens who would pound Canada at every turn. Turns out the opposite was true.

The fact is Sweden has sucked at this thing for years, so I don't know how much worse they were this year than when Canada drubbed them 8-2 two years ago with a team nowhere near as good as this years, or a few years ago when Canada practically ran them out of the building even though the Sedins were touted as god-like prodigies. The U.S. has only ever won this thing once, so how much better should they have been this year? They won it last year but have never really been a factor before. Likewise, the Czechs had a good run four or five years ago, but they've pretty much shat the bed since and before that.

Teams as good as Canada was this year -- and it might be the best junior team ever -- make other teams look bad. Hell, they never even trailed for a single minute of this tournament. That's going to make any opponent look worse than they really are.
Macman, you have said it perfectly. I have never been in more agreement with anyone on these boards more than I am with you at this very moment. That was a very well written post and it hit hard and it completely encompassed all of my thoughts and frustrations about the way Canada gets no respect. What that team was able to do over the last 11 days was the stuff of legends, and it will be a benchmark for excellence at this tourney for all countries for many years to come.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Puckhead said:
I am simply saying that using that weak team scenario is a bit of a cop out. Was Russia a strong team? Yes!

As far as the goalie situation goes, you never know what will happen in a short tourney. You can blame the goalies all you want, but if you watched that game, you would have to concede that the Russians were completely frustrated, and that is how Canada played them.

The way the Canadians were playing on both sides of the puck, it wouldn't have mattered if you had Khabibulin instead of Khudobin!

You have a point, but I still think that the goalies made a difference. Seems like the only thing we really disagree about is the goalie thing. Not bad. We have different views and let's leave it at that.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Puckhead said:

Khabibulin could have the Mighty Ducks in front of him (the movie team) and still probably shut out a squad from the WJCs. Some people here really love to inflate their junior heroes at the expense of true NHL stars.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Epsilon said:
Khabibulin could have the Mighty Ducks in front of him (the movie team) and still probably shut out a squad from the WJCs. Some people here really love to inflate their junior heroes at the expense of true NHL stars.
If you watched the way Canada dominated this entire tournament and specifically the Russians in the final, then you would realize that I am not inflating anything. My point in mentioning Khabibulan was meant to be taken toungue in cheek, but I guess that was lost on you huh?

Besides where do you get off dissing the Mighty Ducks (the movie team)? Now who's inflating things?

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Boucicaut said:
You have a point, but I still think that the goalies made a difference. Seems like the only thing we really disagree about is the goalie thing. Not bad. We have different views and let's leave it at that.
I don't mind leaving it at that, we are free to disagree. However, if there was a team that had question marks leading up to this tourney, it would have to be Canada.

Glass had no prior international experience, and was not tested much shot-wise during the tourney. Even knowing how physical Canada had to be to try and shut down AO and Malkin, I never expected that Glass would make the saves early on when Canada was in serious penalty trouble. The game changed right there. I agree that Khudobin did not play very well, but Kuznetsov was really no better, and the fact that Russia couldn't get anything going offensively is what really made the difference.

Did you honestly think that Khudobin would play as good as Schwarz did for the Czechs in the semis? Even Ovechkin prior to the final was quoted as saying that Canada had a great team but their goaltending was suspect...Point is nobody expected Glass to steal a game, he did what he had to do, and was there when they needed him to be.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Puckhead said:
Besides where do you get off dissing the Mighty Ducks (the movie team)? Now who's inflating things?

I'm talking about the actual team from the Mighty Ducks movie, not the NHL team. Goldberg and company.

ArtVandelei

Nov 2, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
chicpea said:
Going back, I think that had to be my favourite play of the entire game. What a backcheck. Totally effective, and got the offside to boot. It may have even been the hit that finished Captain AO.

Are you sure about that? Because according to Pierre Mccheerleader, it was Ovechkin who was setting the pick, and was lucky not to get an interference penalty.

Sammy*

ArtVandelei said:
:shakehead

Oh yeah, pitfull indeed.

Jeff O'Neils comments today in The Star: "We (95 team) faced stiff competition...they faced stiffs".

But pshh, what would Jeff O'neil know, right.
Yeah, exactly what would he know about the quality of this years competition?
You are a sad ,pitiful fellow.

chicpea*

MontrealCruiser_83 said:

Sorry, I thought the numbers were opposite. I was dumb enough to use the US official site and they had their numbers incorrect on another matter earlier, so I should've doublechecked.
http://www.usahockey.com/2005wjc/tournament_player/main/05wjc/canada/37/can///
http://www.usahockey.com/2005wjc/tournament_player/main/05wjc/russia/8/rus//

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
ArtVandelei said:

Oh yeah, pitfull indeed.

Jeff O'Neils comments today in The Star: "We (95 team) faced stiff competition...they faced stiffs".

Whenever Jeff opens his mouth something idiotic is soon to follow. Time for Jeff to use his time off to finish highschool.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
cds said:
Totally agreed. If you don't think AO taunted the US team, imagine if you were one of the players sitting on the American bench. I for one would take EXTREME offense to any of the crap Ovechkin and Malkin pulled after their amazing empty-netters. If you don't see this, obviously there's no point in trying to convince you.
i played all my life and im american - im not offended. it was typical stuff for a tourney these days, and im sure we deserved it.

chicpea*

ArtVandelei said:
Are you sure about that? Because according to Pierre Mccheerleader, it was Ovechkin who was setting the pick, and was lucky not to get an interference penalty.
No, that was a different play. On the one I'm talking about Ovechkin is the puck carrier. It's at the 11 minute mark of the first.

Ovechkin sets that pick on Bergeron at the 19 minute mark of the first while the Russians were on the pp, right after Bergeron and he had collided in the Russian end.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
ArtVandelei said:

Oh yeah, pitfull indeed.

TSN would disagree with O'Neill's comments.

"With so much talent on hand, Canada cruised to a perfect 7-0-0 record, blitzing opponents by scoring at least four goals in every game. It helped that the rest of the field was fairly weak in 1995, as none of the European teams would come close to matching Canada's offensive prowess."

http://www.tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature.asp?fid=1045

Macman

May 15, 2004
ArtVandelei said:

Oh yeah, pitfull indeed.

Funny how you ignored this from the same article:

"There are a lot of similarities, but the bottom line is that they put it together a lot better than we did," said Jason Botterill, also a member of the '95 team. "I've been listening on the radio and watching TV about how there's a debate about whether this is the greatest team ever and I don't think there's much debate with the way they performed over the last week and a half. I think they definitely took that mantle from us."

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Epsilon said:
I'm talking about the actual team from the Mighty Ducks movie, not the NHL team. Goldberg and company.
YEAH, I get it Einstein! Did you happen to miss my "the movie team" in brackets?
Your comment makes no sense. How am I wrong to use Khabibulin in the context of Canada would have tore a new one to any goalie they faced, and yet you are right in thinking Khabibulin or any NHL goalie, could have beat any WJC team with a group of kids infront of them? This has to be the most idiotic post I have ever responded to.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Epsilon said:

:shakehead :shakehead

Give your head a shake. I don't care if you had the best goalie EVER, in his PRIME. If Khabby played against Canada with the Mighty Duck movie team in front of him :lol they would get killed! What goalie do you know of that can stand a barrage of shots the whole game? While some people may be overrating the team by saying they could take on many NHL teams, you definitly underrate the team with this load of :eek:

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
FLAMESFAN said:
:shakehead :shakehead

Give your head a shake. I don't care if you had the best goalie EVER, in his PRIME. If Khabby played against Canada with the Mighty Duck movie team in front of him :lol they would get killed! What goalie do you know of that can stand a barrage of shots the whole game? While some people may be overrating the team by saying they could take on many NHL teams, you definitly underrate the team with this load of :eek:
I think EPSILON has been shaking his head too much, and possibly banging it against walls, that might begin to explain his stance on this issue, in which he is...

(1) Completely out to lunch.
and (2) All alone in this debate.

This Canadian team was phenominal, and anyone who chooses to downplay what they did, by way of comparing the poor opposition, or the poor goaltending by its opponents, or whatever, is either insanely jealous, or completely blind!

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Puckhead said:
This Canadian team was phenominal, and anyone who chooses to downplay what they did, by way of comparing the poor opposition, or the poor goaltending by its opponents, or whatever, is either insanely jealous, or completely blind!

Thanks a lot. I didn't mean to downplay anything, but judging by the above response I should have just kept my mouth shut I suppose. Mmm, yummy...now I know how it feels to be an insanely jealous, blind person who likes to downplay stuff. How about adding 'ignorant fool' to the chain of compliments? I kinda like it.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Boucicaut said:
Thanks a lot. I didn't mean to downplay anything, but judging by the above response I should have just kept my mouth shut I suppose. Mmm, yummy...now I know how it feels to be an insanely jealous, blind person who likes to downplay stuff. How about adding 'ignorant fool' to the chain of compliments? I kinda like it.
I was directing my tirade at EPSILON, sorry if you feel you got caught in the cross fire. We settled out disagreement...we agree to disagree, right? Besides the "ignorant fool" comment would have been over the top.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Puckhead said:
I was directing my tirade at EPSILON, sorry if you feel you got caught in the cross fire. We settled out disagreement...we agree to disagree, right? Besides the "ignorant fool" comment would have been over the top.

Ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad