WJC Gold Medal GDT: Canada vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Puckhead said:
These same people that claimed Canada was all hype because every team they played were lesser lights, instead of giving Canada the respect they deserve, some are choosing to say that it is so unfortunate that in a year when Canada had their best team, every other team had nothing worth sending.

Amazing how in less then 24 hours, Russia went from the greatest team in the world, to a team that really didn't have all that much...was it the 6-1 drubbing, or the physical ass kicking they took.

My point is simple, the way to beat the Russians was in theory very easy, and every team in this tournament knew it. The problem was that only Canada could carry out that tall order, of shutting down AO and Malkin, taking the body at every opportunity, and taking away time and space on the ice, so that the Russians had no time to work their magic.

Cudos to Team Canada, and the coaching staff, who put together one hell of a team, that will be remembered for its dominance for many years to come.

Congrats to Team Canada. They were clearly the best team this year and deserved to win. To me, this team looks like the strongest that Canada has ever fielded. However, it is not taking away from the team when people state simple facts like many other teams fielding one of their weakest teams in recent years. That was the truth. I don't understand what's your problem with that.

About the final game: if the russian goalies would have played a decent game, it would have been a much tighter, enjoyable game instead of a blowout. They sucked in a few easy goals, and the team couldn't recover. Very few teams can, when they suddenly realize they can't trust their goalies. Remember, first period was pretty even still, with Canada dominating slightly but not rolling over the Russians.

And to Firebear: I really didn't see very many people predicting that Canada woudn't win. About 90 % of people from all nations had Canada winning, including myself.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
SENATOR said:
Canada has the biggest showboating players ever who like to taunt big time. The biggest trash-talkers as well. Starting with Claude Lemeux and finishing with Theo Fluery, who would slide head first all over the ice and then crying after trading from Calgary with cocaine tears. Phill Esposito was such a class, given the cut throat signs to the Russian players, middle fingers to the crowd, swining sticks at the referees. Canadian players behaved so bad, the impression of them lived for years in Russia and is still there. Russians still think, Canadians are just clasless people. Showing middle fingers to the crowd??!! How low can you go!!!

Taunting is highly respected in NHL, GM are always trying to get the biggest Canadian arsehole for playoffs. So give Russians a break. You live by sword and you die by the sword. Canadian players are the most classless players ever. That's the fact.
Do you speak for all the Russian federation SENATOR? Your comments are indeed yours, but if that's what you really think, then I am sure I speak for most of the posters here, when I say keep your comments to yourself. How old are you? Do you even remember the '72 Summit series? It was a very different time then for hockey. That should in no way be compared to todays taunting and showboating. The Canadian players and staff were fearing for their lives. There were Soviet militia with machine guns at all the exits, can you even fathom that? Please don't answer that, you will only prove me right about you. How can you sit there and preach about something you cannot even comprehend? That was not about a game, that was about two countries who knew precious little about eachother going at it for 8 grueling games and we, the fans got to tag along for the ride. Canada has long since been revered as a classy nation.

When it comes to Class, you won't have to look any further than Canada, especially on the ice. What you claim as a fact, is nothing more than your pathetic attempt to disrespect a game and a people you obviously don't know much about. You choose to mention two examples, well those examples exist for every country. No one plays this game sqeaky cleam all the time, because it a game where emotions run high and things happen at top speed.

As I reach the end of my rant, I wonder what did I write all of this for? Anyone clueless enough to write what you said and claim it a fact, is far beyond the help of a rational hockey fan, such as me.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Boucicaut said:
To me, this team looks like the strongest that Canada has ever fielded. However, it is not taking away from the team when people state simple facts like many other teams fielding one of their weakest teams in recent years.

My problem with it is simple. Most non-Canadians on these boards weren't saying that. We were told that once Canada got into the crossovers, they would finally meet their match. We were told that the Russians play against men and were thus superior to the Canadians who play against boys. When Canada wins there is always some excuse to denigrate the performance, be it goonism, cheating, home ice, whatever. Now it's weak opponents. Russia had two of the most highly touted prospects to come along in years and we were told how they would manhandle the Canadians and how they were physical specimens who would pound Canada at every turn. Turns out the opposite was true.

The fact is Sweden has sucked at this thing for years, so I don't know how much worse they were this year than when Canada drubbed them 8-2 two years ago with a team nowhere near as good as this years, or a few years ago when Canada practically ran them out of the building even though the Sedins were touted as god-like prodigies. The U.S. has only ever won this thing once, so how much better should they have been this year? They won it last year but have never really been a factor before. Likewise, the Czechs had a good run four or five years ago, but they've pretty much shat the bed since and before that.

Teams as good as Canada was this year -- and it might be the best junior team ever -- make other teams look bad. Hell, they never even trailed for a single minute of this tournament. That's going to make any opponent look worse than they really are.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Macman said:
My problem with it is simple. Most non-Canadians on these boards weren't saying that. We were told that once Canada got into the crossovers, they would finally meet their match. We were told that the Russians play against men and were thus superior to the Canadians who play against boys. When Canada wins there is always some excuse to denigrate the performance, be it goonism, cheating, home ice, whatever. Now it's weak opponents. Russia had two of the most highly touted prospects to come along in years and we were told how they would manhandle the Canadians and how they were physical specimens who would pound Canada at every turn. Turns out the opposite was true.

The fact is Sweden has sucked at this thing for years, so I don't know how much worse they were this year than when Canada drubbed them 8-2 two years ago with a team nowhere near as good as this years, or a few years ago when Canada practically ran them out of the building even though the Sedins were touted as god-like prodigies. The U.S. has only ever won this thing once, so how much better should they have been this year? They won it last year but have never really been a factor before. Likewise, the Czechs had a good run four or five years ago, but they've pretty much shat the bed since and before that.

Teams as good as Canada was this year -- and it might be the best junior team ever -- make other teams look bad. Hell, they never even trailed for a single minute of this tournament. That's going to make any opponent look worse than they really are.

I hear you. Some of the non-Canadians did post pretty strange things here, IMHO. And it's also true what you say about Canada making teams look worse than they are. However, the Finnish team for example was known to be subpar even before the tourney and judging by their performance against other teams than Canada (with the exception of Sweden, which always fires them up) they really were subpar. They had great difficulties scoring on anybody, when not on PP.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Congrats to Team Canada. They were clearly the best team this year and deserved to win. To me, this team looks like the strongest that Canada has ever fielded. However, it is not taking away from the team when people state simple facts like many other teams fielding one of their weakest teams in recent years. That was the truth. I don't understand what's your problem with that.
Thats the kind of comment i have problem with. Canada won because of...All excuses. Its like saying that the U.S won last year because Canada was inexperienced, younger and Fleury. All excuses!! They won and they kicked the crap out of everybody just accept it. One thing ive noticed is when Canada looses Canadians blame their own team instead of findind pathetic excuses and others just come and hate. Thats not our problem if countries cant send out good teams everyear like Canada can. Whats going to be the excuse next year if we win?

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
The Old Master said:
game 1 us vs rus ao 2 pts em 1 pts ao played better ao1
game 2 cze vs rus ao1 pts em 3pts em played better em1
game 3 blr vs rus em & ao both get 2 pts em had more hits, made more plays em2
game 4sui vs rus ao 3pts em ipt ao played better ao2
game 5us vs rus ao 3pts em 3pts em again more hits, more nice passes, better back checking em3
game 6 us vsrus ao 0, em o em played the whole game and from al acconts played well em4
i also did not see all the games so i could easley be wrong but the above is my best understanding of what happend if anyone else saw i def. pleas say so. i am not saying malkin should be named the top forward i just cant see why ao was.

I just dont see how you can say either guy played better than the next if you didnt see the game.....and all you are doing is looking at stats really....dont you think its pretty impressive that Ovechkin was only on the ice for 1 even strength goal against the entire tourny ?

and IMO Ovechkin was the best Russian in both games against the US.....by far the first game and by a slimmer margin the 2nd

Macman

May 15, 2004
Boucicaut said:
I hear you. Some of the non-Canadians did post pretty strange things here, IMHO. And it's also true what you say about Canada making teams look worse than they are. However, the Finnish team for example was known to be subpar even before the tourney and judging by their performance against other teams than Canada (with the exception of Sweden, which always fires them up) they really were subpar. They had great difficulties scoring on anybody, when not on PP.

I agree about the Finns but they were very young and it showed. They should be much better next year.

Also, the lockout was a tremendous factor in how good Canada was. Without it we could easily have lost. During the last lockout in '95, Canada averaged six goals a game and went undefeated too. I don't think that's a coincidence. Canada always loses more U20 players to the NHL each year than any other country and would have a lot more than 11 golds if that wasn't the case.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
jcpenny said:
Thats the kind of comment i have problem with. Canada won because of...All excuses. Its like saying that the U.S won last year because Canada was inexperienced, younger and Fleury. All excuses!! They won and they kicked the crap out of everybody just accept it. One thing ive noticed is when Canada looses Canadians blame their own team instead of findind pathetic excuses and others just come and hate. Thats not our problem if countries cant send out good teams everyear like Canada can. Whats going to be the excuse next year if we win?

Where have I said that Finland lost because of any other reason than their own lack of talent? I don't think I have.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Where have I said that Finland lost because of any other reason than their own lack of talent? I didn't think so either.
I know but i just wanted to comment about the "Canada won against some of the weakest year of some countries" rant and it hapened that you talked about it. Nothing against your comment.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Macman said:
I agree about the Finns but they were very young and it showed. They should be much better next year.

Also, the lockout was a tremendous factor in how good Canada was. Without it we could easily have lost. During the last lockout in '95, Canada averaged six goals a game and went undefeated too. I don't think that's a coincidence. Canada always loses more U20 players to the NHL each year than any other country and would have a lot more than 11 golds if that wasn't the case.

Probably true.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
jcpenny said:
I know but i just wanted to comment about the "Canada won against some of the weakest year of some countries" rant and it hapened that you talked about it. Nothing against your comment.

Ok. No hard feelings :)

espo*

ArtVandelei said:
It's nice that after 7 years of being beaten up on by everyone from Russia to Khazakstan to USA, Canada finally gets one, but what a horrible tournament this was. Not a single great game involving Canada. How dissapointing is it that in the year that Canada has put out its best squad in 10 years, every other world power put out either one of, or their worst.

Frankly, I don't see much to celebrate here.
Of course you don't.Read it and weep my friend.Best team ever at this tournament no question. Time for you to take the silly comments and go away.No need for you here...just an irritation like summer mosquitoes

MontrealCruiser_83*

deandebean said:
He has talent, for sure. Will he have a very, very good career? We'll see. I remember Alexandrov, who played with the Red Army in the 70's. Was supposed to surpass the great Kharlamov. Eventually, he couldn't carry his jockstrap.

Talent is one thing; getting hammered regularly in the NHL, during a 82 game schedule, THEN playing in the playoffs for 2 months. That takes more than talent. It takes commitment and intestinal fortitude. That is where we separate the good from the legend. We'll see if this wonder will do the job.

Ovechkin is an incredible individual talent. No question. He needs to pick up the rest, now. He's young. He can learn. Tonight, he learned a valuable lesson: never, ever brag and boast with Canadians. They will make you pay. A humbling lesson.

Man, this kid would have trouble playing in Montreal :lol
All I'm saying is that this is a 19 year old kid who was drafted less than 6 months ago and whose been hyped for about 3 years. He finished 3rd in the tournament in points and had a better +/- then Bergeron who was playing on arguably the most dominant line in the tourney. He has shown little to cause any concern that he's gonna be anything but a good to great player in the NHL. I remember a certain Mr. Kovalchuck who was a little excessive in celebrations himself. Kovalchuck was not only considered arrogant but he was also labelled as a one-dimensional player... which is something that no sane person can consider Ovechkin.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Mothra said:
Isnt that where Ribeiro and Kovalev play....yea....those guys sure showed class and sportsmanship this past post season

Ribeiro was diving around, but what did Kovalev do? Either I missed it, or my memory doesn't serve me. And yes, I am a Canadiens fan, but it doesn't stop me from seeing their negative deeds as well :)

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Ribeiro was diving around, but what did Kovalev do? Either I missed it, or my memory doesn't serve me. And yes, I am a Canadiens fan, but it doesn't stop me from seeing their negative deeds as well :)

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure he did something similar.......

let me add I really dont care too much about what either of them did....but this guy said AO would have problems playing for the Habs....thats all

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Mothra said:
I could be wrong but I am pretty sure he did something similar.......

Can't remember that, which of course doesn't mean it didn't happen. I do remember that horrible slash he got and stopped playing (which I hold against him), letting the other team promptly gain the zone and score. That was bad.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Can't remember that, which of course doesn't mean it didn't happen. I do remember that horrible slash he got and stopped playing (which I hold against him), letting the other team promptly gain the zone and score. That was bad.

Thats what it was......and again, im not really making a statement about either guy. Just the fact they play for the Habs...and I'm willing to bet AO would be welcomed with open arms in Montreal......If I remember Kovalchuk's charcter was questioned, and the Habs offered the farm for the guy on draft day

chicpea*

littleD said:
I believe this was Anthony Stewart celebrating his goal. He was tugging on his jersey, but I'm pretty sure he was doing it in front of the Canadian bench, and not towards the Russian bench.

I could be wrong though. :D

No, you're right. I have it on tape. He was in front of his own bench and facing his mates, I believe, not the Russians.

chicpea*

s7ark said:
3. Crosby. Did you see the look in his eyes when Crosby knocked Ovechkin offside ?

Going back, I think that had to be my favourite play of the entire game. What a backcheck. Totally effective, and got the offside to boot. It may have even been the hit that finished Captain AO.

The only other play that compares with that for me is Colin Fraser's PK in the second - the one that led to Phaneuf's goal. He wins the footrace handily, ties it up with his skates and then - THEN! - when Yemelin lines him up from the blueline (and from behind) and he gets simply nailed into the glass headfirst he's still trying to gather the puck in his hands! Just excellent really. Colin Fraser, Unsung hero. :bow:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Mothra said:
I just dont see how you can say either guy played better than the next if you didnt see the game.....and all you are doing is looking at stats really....dont you think its pretty impressive that Ovechkin was only on the ice for 1 even strength goal against the entire tourny ?

and IMO Ovechkin was the best Russian in both games against the US.....by far the first game and by a slimmer margin the 2nd
i saw the 2 game malkin clearly was the better player! unles ao is scoreing his play suffers some. little backchecking few hits ect. i don't remember ao cleaning anybodys clock like em did

chicpea*

MontrealCruiser_83 said:
All I'm saying is that this is a 19 year old kid who was drafted less than 6 months ago and whose been hyped for about 3 years. He finished 3rd in the tournament in points and had a better +/- then Bergeron who was playing on arguably the most dominant line in the tourney.

I'm pretty sure +6 is better than +5 :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad