WJC Gold Medal GDT: Canada vs. Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Puckhead said:
I was directing my tirade at EPSILON, sorry if you feel you got caught in the cross fire. We settled out disagreement...we agree to disagree, right? Besides the "ignorant fool" comment would have been over the top.

The Mighty Ducks thing was a joke exagerration, but the main point still stands. You seem to think this team descended from Mount Olympus and were dipped in the River Styx for good measure. An elite NHL goaltender (Khabibulin, Brodeur, Theodore, etc.) in front of a decent team like Russia's would have little problem beating a team of star junior scorers. You probably think these kids could have beat the 1998 Czechs the way you are carrying on.

Also, you might want try making your point without name-calling and shouting.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Psycho Joe said:
Never mind a pro goalie, you put Schwarz in net for the Russians and they likely end the first period up 1-0 and perhaps it's a completely different game.

I think Canada would still win with Schwarz in goal for the Russians because the defense did such a good job shutting down Russia's attack, but the final score would have been a lot closer.

Reilly311

Psycho Joe said:
Never mind a pro goalie, you put Schwarz in net for the Russians and they likely end the first period up 1-0 and perhaps it's a completely different game.

oh, this is fun. And if the russian goalie didn't stop the americans at the end of the second period it would have been a completely different game if it was 3-3 going into the 3rd.

Vic Rattlehead*

Psycho Joe said:
We beat the Czechs who had Schwarz.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
oh, this is fun. And if the russian goalie didn't stop the americans at the end of the second period it would have been a completely different game if it was 3-3 going into the 3rd.
WTF are you talking about:dunno:

19bruins19 said:
We beat the Czechs who had Schwarz.
The Russians had a better team than the Czechs. The only area where the Czechs were better was goaltending.

I think Canada would still have won, but it more than likely would have been a much more competitive game and I have no doubt the Russians would have been up 1-0 after the first with a guy of Schwarz's calibre.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Epsilon said:
The Mighty Ducks thing was a joke exagerration, but the main point still stands. You seem to think this team descended from Mount Olympus and were dipped in the River Styx for good measure. An elite NHL goaltender (Khabibulin, Brodeur, Theodore, etc.) in front of a decent team like Russia's would have little problem beating a team of star junior scorers. You probably think these kids could have beat the 1998 Czechs the way you are carrying on.

Also, you might want try making your point without name-calling and shouting.
Shouting? I didn't realize HF boards had audio capabilities. But seriously, I never mentioned Mt. Olympus, I simply said this team was incredible, and they cut through this tournament like a hot knife through butter. I have not been the only one on these boards or in the media, that has compared Team Canada to an NHL team. They had the size the speed and the system in place to bring it all together. They never trailed the entire tournament. Even with their so called weak link goaltending. All of these other people are talking about how if this goalie or that goalie would have made that save, the whole game would have been different. Well Glass never looked stellar, but he never had to, and he did make the big save when his team needed it.

I joked about Khabibulin instead of Khudobin would have made little difference, and you went off on a Mighty Ducks movie tangent. So you can see why I became a little irritable. I made a joke that was in some ways atleast conceivable, but when you mentioned any NHL goalie behind a group of 12 year olds made little to no sense to the conversation.

There will be a majority of those on Team Canada, who go on to have great NHL careers, because their games are in many ways NHL ready. Yes, some need experience, but I feel most of the players on that team will be playing in the bigs when hockey decides to start up again.

As far as the '98 Czech team, they were awesome, but you also have the advantage of looking back and seeing how many of them have gone to play in the NHL.

Also, you would have to concede, seeing as it is a fact, that Canada loses more of its U20 junior eligable prospects to the NHL every year. That being said, it stands to reason 2 of the best teams ever assembled at the WJC were the Canadian teams of '95, and '05. Whyyou ask? Because the NHL was then, and is now, in the midst of a labour strike, and that means that players who would otherwise have been playing in the NHL, could now have the honour of representing their country at the WJC.

Phaneuf, Carter, Richards, Bergeron, Getzlaf, Ladd, Coburn, Weber, and Stewart could all have been conceivably playing in some capacity for their NHL teams. At which point, their team would have to release them to join Team Canada. That would have been a completely different tournament, don't you think? Sure it would, but it doesn't seem fair if you're a fan of Canadian hockey and the World Juniors. If you add to that, the fact that Brent Burns and Nathan Horton were also eligible for this team, that is just scary!

These are the type of things that I wish the rest of Canada would look at when things maybe don't go as planned in these international tournaments. Canada comes in 2nd, and the whole country starts pannicking, and every newspaper starts a 12 part series of..."What's wrong with our game?". True, Canada had not won gold at the U20's since '97, but they have won a medal every year since except '98, and the last three years have won Silver. Which, as anyone knows, Gold or Silver is decided in one game, winner takes all, and Canada could just as easily have won 4 Golds in a row.

The Americans who by and large have no clue what hockey really means to this country, have the luxury of sitting back and taking pot shots at why Canadians are so touchy about this game. Well hockey is a global game, and the other countries like the US are getting better at it all the time. I guess in some ways it is a lot like the US and the Basketball or Baseball situation. They owned the game forever, and now other countries have caught up.

This game defines our country and it makes up the very fabric of our nation. That may seem sad to some people, but it really is beyond a sport, it is revered and the people are passionate about it, especially when it is showcased with such awesome power on the world stage. Thanks for the memories Team Canada WJC Champs 2005.

Last edited:

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Puckhead said:
The Americans who by and large have no clue what hockey really means to this country, have the luxury of sitting back and taking pot shots at why Canadians are so touchy about this game. Well hockey is a global game, and the other countries like the US are getting better at it all the time. I guess in some ways it is a lot like the US and the Basketball situation. They owned the game forever, and now other countries have caught up.

This game defines our country and it makes up the very fabric of our nation. That may seem sad to some people, but it really is beyond a sport, it is revered and the people are passionate about it, especially when it is showcased with such awesome power on the world stage.
I would like to see a Baseball series between the Latin baseball players and the U.S.
(Ortiz, Ramirez, Guerrero,Nomar,Vidro, Pedro, Colon among others) They'd loose this series and you'd see the same thing happen similar to us with Hockey.

Sammy*

jcpenny said:
I would like to see a Baseball series between the Latin baseball players and the U.S.
(Ortiz, Ramirez, Guerrero,Nomar,Vidro, Pedro, Colon among others) They'd loose this series and you'd see the same thing happen similar to us with Hockey.
I agree with what you are saying but the Americans getting rapped up about 1 sport could not happen as the Americans dont really have 1 sport that they identify with like Canada does hockey. I would say football is #1, baseball is #2 & basketball #3 (hence they dont get all agitated when they perform poorly in the Oly's).

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Epsilon said:
An elite NHL goaltender (Khabibulin, Brodeur, Theodore, etc.) in front of a decent team like Russia's would have little problem beating a team of star junior scorers.

What a joke of a comment. I hate when people say something like this - something that will never, ever happen and something that can never be proven one way or another and act like they thier predicted outcome is a sure thing.

And I also hate when people act like a player who has never played at a certain level yet is incapable of ever accomplishing anything at that level. It baffles my mind that a rookie has ever scored a goal in any league. I mean, a junior player coming into the NHL could never EVER score on an NHL goaltender. And how does a rookie goaltender ever stop a shot off the stick of a REAL NHL player? Does that even happen?

These kids (and I'm talking about every player in this tournament, not just the Canadians) are the best in the world at thier age. They are more than capable of beating an NHL goaltender if given a quality scoring opportunity.

What a stupid comment to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad