U18: WJC GDT Day 6

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well, at least Finland won't get relegated.

Kind of annoyed that Finland will face USA of all teams, though. If they'd played like this vs Czechia or Belarus, Finland could even battle for gold. Now it'll be very difficult.

Then again, if Finland beats USA I guess it'll be smooth sailing to a gold medal.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Well, at least Finland won't get relegated.

Kind of annoyed that Finland will face USA
of all teams, though. If they'd played like this vs Czechia or Belarus, Finland could even battle for gold. Now it'll be very difficult.

Then again, if Finland beats USA I guess it'll be smooth sailing to a gold medal.
You are annoyed? You should be happy being in quarters after winning one game.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Puistola is a first rounder in my opinion. If Leevi Aaltonen goes later than the second round it´s all because of his lack of size. Underrated for sure. A future top 9 winger without doubt.
If Finland can play a strong, tight game on the defensive end, this quarter could become really entertaining.
Everything can happen in hockey but the winner of this quarter should and could win the whole tournament.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014

Finland seems to the team that manages to win against North American teams the most at this level. The US vs. Finland game is bound to be interesting.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
What was the matter with the Swiss? Ok, I know that Finland is on the junior level better than Switzerland but I didn't expect that they win with such a high score. I mean the Swiss aren't so bad too.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Why? That was likely going to be the requirement, it's not as if it's a surprise that a team would be in quarter finals after winning one game.

I'm annoyed because if this team played at even half the level they played at today in any other game, they could have faced a far easier opponent next round.
Puistola is a first rounder in my opinion. If Leevi Aaltonen goes later than the second round it´s all because of his lack of size. Underrated for sure. A future top 9 winger without doubt.
Puistola is a bit... He has plenty of potential but he seriously needs to stop his dangling attempts, even if they work sometimes I doubt it'll translate, they're not that good. Could be a first rounder but I'm sort of feeling the early 2nd, instead.

Aaltonen, well. I think he's a complementary player. Not a line driver, from what I've seen. He has a lack of size for sure, but he seems to be putting the most effort out there on a consistent basis and to me looks like captain material. Skating's the strongest asset for sure, but he doesn't have stone hands, the shot is OK and he seems to have good vision. I've thought that Aaltonen's game would translate well to NHL due to his explosive skating and high effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: Svedu

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I doubt, Czech will beat Canada, so it looks like Sweden - Russia will be a game for 3rd place. I mean, despite what Belarus has achieved so far at the tournament, it still is a preferable opponent, than Czech in the playoffs.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
way to save some goals for Thursday Finland!!! lol...honestly, hate to see this matchup this early on, but let us see what this US team is made of and how deep/talented they truly are.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Is there anywhere to watch replays of the games? I missed the ones today.

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
way to save some goals for Thursday Finland!!! lol...honestly, hate to see this matchup this early on, but let us see what this US team is made of and how deep/talented they truly are.

Yeah, too bad to have this gem so early - and rather a meagre award for the USA for having been supreme in their group... But our team clearly is vulnerable and Kakko won't be helicoptered in, so I would think the US are clear favourites. At least we got this match-up also in this tournament. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad