WJC: Dec 27 GDT - Canada 6 USA 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnhowitzer

Jul 7, 2006
Saw the last 10 minutes of the first and it was all Canada, by far the quicker and more aggressive team. This one will get out of hand if it continues like that.

Great first period for the team in Red.

emb24*

Canada is playing well defensively the US had no real scoring chances that period. The US goaltending looks shaky. He should have stopped the first goal and probably the second although I couldn't tell if the second was deflected.

i wouldn't blame him on either goal..the 2 on 1 or the pp goal --he was screened and the puck was deflected

Zimmer12

Dec 15, 2005
Leduc, Alberta
Has Lee been on the ice much? His ice time was limited last game. It sounds like they're continuing to give the Johnsons a ton of ice time though, so, I'm guessing not much.
Yeah, it seems they have been taking in good use of the Johnson's. I noticed Lee a few times. But it looks as if the Johnson's are on everytime the Downie-Cogliano-Marchand line is on. The commentators really haven't talked much about the American defensive matchups they want to have on the ice, but more that Parent and Staal are to shut down the Mueller line?

UBCsalmonslayer

@2Holmes2
Oct 20, 2006
Vancouver/Nanaimo BC
Bourdon really is becoming a great all-around D-man - he reacts and responds to the deficiencies and strengths of his partner so well. With Letang, he has adopted more of a stay-at-home style, to cover for the brainfarts and pinches that Letang has been having this tournament. He stood up Skille, I think, and sprung the puck for Letang and Downie, who scored the first goal. Great stuff.

Letang needs to pay more attention to his back end game though.

I love Bourdon.... can't wait to see him on the Canucks blue line for years to come.

wildone26*

Canada is playing much more physical and with much more jump then yesterday. Much better performance from them. The U.S started to look threatening in the second half of the period, starting with a long PP, but the penalty they took late in the period while in control in Canada's zone was a pretty stupid penalty and cost them pushing for a goal to tie the game and a second goal for Canada to boot.

turnbuckle*

I really wish McGuire would take a look at replays once in awhile. Man he gets annoying. Miscalls plenty of goalscorers because he doesn't see a tip or whatever, same thing with penalties. Then he babbles through the replay and doesn't bother having a look to notice he looks like a numbskull for not seeing it right and still talking about it.

Pyatt's goal was a prime example - He's babbling on and on about how it was all Franson's work and that he'd scored the goal...finally when he's stopped yapping they hear the end of the goal announced and realize Pyatt had scored it.

Pierre then spends the next minute talking about Pyatt being "credited" with the goal before he takes the time to actually look at the replay. Then, and only then, does he finally acknowledge that Pyatt may have indeed had something to do with that goal - it was headed straight for the goalie's chest protector before he redirected it as was plainly obvious from the first replay moment earlier; hell i noticed that he tipped it during live play.

Now even Duthie speaks twice about Pyatt being "credited" with the goal. Look at the replay and stop listening to Pierre you doof
us.

I don't normally rag on announcers, but it's Pierre's arrogance that is hindering his job; the above scenario has repeated itself so many times it's not even recountable. You wear glasses for a reason Pierre; there's lots that you miss.

UBCsalmonslayer

@2Holmes2
Oct 20, 2006
Vancouver/Nanaimo BC
I really wish McGuire would take a look at replays once in awhile. Man he gets annoying. Miscalls plenty of goalscorers because he doesn't see a tip or whatever, same thing with penalties. Then he babbles through the replay and doesn't bother having a look to notice he looks like a numbskull for not seeing it right and still talking about it.

Pyatt's goal was a prime example - He's babbling on and on about how it was all Franson's work and that he'd scored the goal...finally when he's stopped yapping they hear the end of the goal announced and realize Pyatt had scored it.

Pierre then spends the next minute talking about Pyatt being "credited" with the goal before he takes the time to actually look at the replay. Then, and only then, does he finally acknowledge that Pyatt may have indeed had something to do with that goal - it was headed straight for the goalie's chest protector before he redirected it as was plainly obvious from the first replay moment earlier; hell i noticed that he tipped it during live play.

Now even Duthie speaks twice about Pyatt being "credited" with the goal. Look at the replay and stop listening to Pierre you doof
us.

I don't normally rag on announcers, but it's Pierre's arrogance that is hindering his job; the above scenario has repeated itself so many times it's not even recountable. You wear glasses for a reason Pierre; there's lots that you miss.

I was thinking the same thing after the goal... but usually I like McQuire's commentary, except how he calls way too many players "special".

Kipper

Nov 21, 2006
Vancouver, BC

us.

Settle down, who cares.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I´m going to make a lot of judgements about the America team in the first 5 minutes of the second period. If their coaches have any aptitude they will have those guys playing desperate hockey. If they come out like they did in the first period they´re going to the relagation round.

espo*

Canada playing it's game to a tee thus far.Dominating physically and along the boards,great PK work,getting under the skin of some of their top players like JJ and it's paying off.Great period by Staal,Downie(keep it under control Steve!!)Toews.Everyones been playing good so far and that periods a wrap.

Let's hope they can keep it up,long way from being over.

Skyblaze

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal
Zatkoff's postioning is really bad. he is always like this? or is he just shaky?

I haven't seen enough of Zatkoff to say if he's always like this but from what I've seen, while he has great lateral movement and a good glove hand, he's having trouble covering his five-hole and angles.

Price on the other hand is making it look easy. The USA team hasn't really challenged him though; they don't go to the inside. They didn't do it against Germany and they're not doing it today. When a team makes even the german defense look good...

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I don't think anybody has mentioned it, but i think Staal is doing great. He makes everything look so easy, playing very physical too. Out of the whole team i would probably want him on the my team the most. And wow, Cogliano looks even faster than yesterday!

Ri hards

Jun 21, 2004
I was thinking the same thing after the goal... but usually I like McQuire's commentary, except how he calls way too many players "special".
Well, everyone is "special" in their own way. Toews is special because he likes to sacrifice for his team, Letang is special because he started the season in Pittsburgh, Neal is special for his forechecking, and Bourdon is special because of his unibrow :sarcasm:

turnbuckle*

Settle down, who cares.

Ha, ha...whatever you say boss.

People who have to listen to his repitition care. Those too obtuse to notice, such as yourself, can do whatever you like, such as getting annoyed at people who get annoyed at annoying people.:dunce:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad