GDT: WJC: Czech Republic Vs Canada | 26th December @ 5:00PM MT

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Justin Sourdif with a dirty headshot on a Czech player outside the play. Refs gave only 2min. Wonder how Canada and US always get away with shit in the WJC? It`s like the referees are scared to give out penalties. Now there was a Finnish&German tandem on the ice without balls.

If the IIHF dared to give Sourdif more than a two minute penalty in the opening gam against the Czechs then Canada and USA would have turned off the money faucet obviously. Follow the $$$ - the truth is out there.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Holy shit! He's not even close to the play! What in the world is that even. Damn. 2 mins???

Should be out of the tournament for that. Out of the play, stright into the face and clear intent to injure on a unsuspecting player.

Reactions: BMann

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Should be out of the tournament for that. Out of the play, stright into the face and clear intent to injure on a unsuspecting player.
Also, our smallest player.lol

Which isn't Sourdif's fault (that Tichachek is small) but he was a 4th liner in the game and I think he decided he was going to break a Czech in half and show them who is boss (it was already 6-3). Tichachek was a good choice I suppose.

He got suspended for 1 game today.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Which isn't Sourdif's fault (that Tichachek is small) but he was a 4th liner in the game and I think he decided he was going to break a Czech in half and show them who is boss (it was already 6-3). Tichachek was a good choice I suppose.

As he should be.

Reactions: Czechboy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You forgot the 0 after 1.
Well the tournament isn't 10 games and if one extrapolates from an NHL regular season (which isn't the best measure but it's there) a game would equal like 8-10 games for that right?

Unless you think that he should be kicked out of the tournament altogether?

But that would open a Pandora's box.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Every time I see this phrase I wonder if they actually can read the players mind and if they really had that kind of ability wouldn't it be better served elsewhere?

Reactions: jj cale

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If the IIHF dared to give Sourdif more than a two minute penalty in the opening gam against the Czechs then Canada and USA would have turned off the money faucet obviously. Follow the $$$ - the truth is out there.

yeah it’s not like USA and Canada send the best teams every year…. Just biased reffing

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It is crazy to think that a 6-3 blowout resulted in 4 players out for the next game. 2 injured and 2 suspended.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Every time I see this phrase I wonder if they actually can read the players mind and if they really had that kind of ability wouldn't it be better served elsewhere?

What do you call it then? A hockey-play, when you hit someone with a headshot who isnt anywhere near the puck and doesnt see you coming? Was it a love-tap from a friend?

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Well the tournament isn't 10 games and if one extrapolates from an NHL regular season (which isn't the best measure but it's there) a game would equal like 8-10 games for that right?

Unless you think that he should be kicked out of the tournament altogether?

But that would open a Pandora's box.

Well, how would it open? I havent seen 10 players headshot others out of the play. Have you? Or do you mean Canada would be out of players? It seem like a North America thing to do - "Good ole hockey-plaY" and "Keep Your Head Up!"

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What do you call it then? A hockey-play, when you hit someone with a headshot who isnt anywhere near the puck and doesnt see you coming? Was it a love-tap from a friend?

It was a very bad play but unless you think Sourdif is some sort of physcopath it's a real stretch that he intended to injure him.

It's not like he has a history or anything either.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It was a very bad play but unless you think Sourdif is some sort of physcopath it's a real stretch that he intended to injure him.

It's not like he has a history or anything either.

Well, if its not a psycopath thing to do headshotting a unsuspecting player far away from the puck - what is? Even in NHL, that would be a 5+ game suspension for sure. IIHF rules are usually even stricter, so the 1 game ban is a joke. It`s a "We cant suspend a Canadian in Canada" rule.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well, how would it open? I havent seen 10 players headshot others out of the play. Have you? Or do you mean Canada would be out of players? It seem like a North America thing to do - "Good ole hockey-plaY" and "Keep Your Head Up!"

My point was that a similar play would warrant an NHL suspension that would %wise be less than 1 game in this tournament.

That being said I would have had zero problems if they had given him 2 games for that hit.

Also thanks for channeling Don Cherry but nothing that I have posted on this topic has indicated that's how I feel about hockey.

Like I said your claim of intent is ill founded as are the expressions listed above.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
My point was that a similar play would warrant an NHL suspension that would %wise be less than 1 game in this tournament.

That being said I would have had zero problems if they had given him 2 games for that hit.

Also thanks for channeling Don Cherry but nothing that I have posted on this topic has indicated that's how I feel about hockey.

Like I said your claim of intent is ill founded as are the expressions listed above.

WTF is this %-wise? So, you mean that a "Bertuzzi", would be 2 games, because he got 13 games + playoff 7 games? its like 8 games = 80 NHL games? Jeesus....

Reactions: BMann

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You forgot the 0 after 1.
I'm okay with 1 game... I did get a kick out of a comment I read that the Czech deserved it becuase he was admiring his pass and you gotta keep your head up. I've circled the pass below that he was admiring.lol

upload_2021-12-28_16-2-14.png

Reactions: czechcanadian

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Given the nature of repeated concussive injuries and it's direct relationship to mental deterioration this sort of thing should be stamped out. Completely unnecessary. Give players a four match ban. Might get the message across. The referees were appalling in not taking harsher action.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Anyone have a way to watch; let me know via PM

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well, if its not a psycopath thing to do headshotting a unsuspecting player far away from the puck - what is? Even in NHL, that would be a 5+ game suspension for sure. IIHF rules are usually even stricter, so the 1 game ban is a joke. It`s a "We cant suspend a Canadian in Canada" rule.

No your math has issues here 5 games in an 82 games season is far less than 1 game in a 6 or 7 game tournament.

You also don't understand what intent means or physcopath as he doesn't have a history of this and you and I can't read his mind.

It was a really late hit and a bad play but just like Jason Spezza isn't a phycopath (at least his mistake was an emotional one) Sourdif had a real brainfart there and it was a very bad play.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No your math has issues here 5 games in an 82 games season is far less than 1 game in a 6 or 7 game tournament.

You also don't understand what intent means or physcopath as he doesn't have a history of this and you and I can't read his mind.

It was a really late hit and a bad play but just like Jason Spezza isn't a phycopath (at least his mistake was an emotional one) Sourdif had a real brainfart there and it was a very bad play.

a "brainfart" is something that happens in the heat of the game. Not a headshot on a player far away from the puck. Headshotting an unsuspecting player from a dead angle far away from the pkay isnt "an accident". And please - tell me youre not that stupid, thatyou tell me a headshot like this in a "friendly", should be less than 2min, because "its only 1/80" from an NHl season... Thats stupidity at its finest.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
a "brainfart" is something that happens in the heat of the game. Not a headshot on a player far away from the puck. Headshotting an unsuspecting player from a dead angle far away from the pkay isnt "an accident". And please - tell me youre not that stupid, thatyou tell me a headshot like this in a "friendly", should be less than 2min, because "its only 1/80" from an NHl season... Thats stupidity at its finest.

Give it a rest you are starting to sound not only insulting but anxious as well with your comments.

I think that I have expressed what a bad hit this was, what a half dozen times here already?

Sourdif doesn't have a history of doing this, he isn't a play on the edge type of guy and yes brainfart is the best way to describe this because of the type of player he is.

No one is calling it an accident so why go there?

As for your last sentence it's obnoxious and nonsensical so not going to reply.

You started off with a really poorly thought out first post here by saying it should have been a 10 game suspension in a tournament that isn't even 10 games long.

A 1 game suspension in a 8 game tournament is the equivalent of a 10 game one in a 80 game season, that's not an opinion that's a mathematical fact.

That being said I would have zero problems with a 2 game suspension the hit was that egregious.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa

5’11 vs 5’9. Not a big enough difference

Reactions: Czechboy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Jiricek initiated that knee-on-knee. Hard to feel bad if he blew his own out.

I feel bad for the guy that he’s going to miss time due to injury, but one thing I’ve noticed is that he tends to play quite dirty for a top prospect. Last year at this tournament he was running around trying to destroy players off the puck and some of them were completely disregarding the action taking place.

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad