WJC - Byfield Thoughts

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Not going to see many guys with locked in NHL spots like QB playing in a junior tournament weeks before NHL camps begin.

Yeah whether its a good or bad idea for either party I think the timing of the tourney puts a kibosh on it for NHLers

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I took Byfield 2nd overall in my draft too. not really happy with his stats so far. but how has he played with his limited time?
I still think he's going to become a special player just might take a few years which could actually be a blessing in disguise when he signs a real cheap contract and out preforms it
hard to get a read on him from I dunno where to start. and Im not going to read 14 pages of comments lol
and with me being in Toronto I dont get to watch many LA games

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
I took Byfield 2nd overall in my draft too. not really happy with his stats so far. but how has he played with his limited time?
I still think he's going to become a special player just might take a few years which could actually be a blessing in disguise when he signs a real cheap contract and out preforms it
hard to get a read on him from I dunno where to start. and Im not going to read 14 pages of comments lol
and with me being in Toronto I dont get to watch many LA games
He’s still trying to do things that work well in juniors and the AHL but it’s going to take some time to figure out the NHL. At least once a game he tries the thing where he chips the puck past the Dman and tries to fly by to chase it down but these NHL defenders are anticipating it so he’s failing pretty regularly on the rush. Hard to see his offense/puck skills because his line rarely has any sustained possession. Low minutes/no PP time and some bad line mates are affecting this but I think the real problem is that he’s still figuring out his NHL game. Fantastic ability but he looks pretty lost right now.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
He’s still trying to do things that work well in juniors and the AHL but it’s going to take some time to figure out the NHL. At least once a game he tries the thing where he chips the puck past the Dman and tries to fly by to chase it down but these NHL defenders are anticipating it so he’s failing pretty regularly on the rush. Hard to see his offense/puck skills because his line rarely has any sustained possession. Low minutes/no PP time and some bad line mates are affecting this but I think the real problem is that he’s still figuring out his NHL game. Fantastic ability but he looks pretty lost right now.

Very fair description.

I wonder if playing the wing was just a temporary thing yesterday or if it's something they will consider going forward for the rest of the season.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Very fair description.

I wonder if playing the wing was just a temporary thing yesterday or if it's something they will consider going forward for the rest of the season.

It's something I thought they'd at least try intermittently to get him some time next to Kopi or Danault to not just 'watch' but to 'feel' and discuss. Obv. he's a C long-term but I'd say there are some benefits there

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It's something I thought they'd at least try intermittently to get him some time next to Kopi or Danault to not just 'watch' but to 'feel' and discuss. Obv. he's a C long-term but I'd say there are some benefits there

He's been a liability as a center, and asking him to learn on the job during a playoff race is tough to ask (sure would have been nice if he had been able to last year). But the Kings have skill issues on the wing and he could help out in that area.

Byfield - Kopitar - Kempe
Moore- Danault - Arvy
Iafallo - JAD - Brown

Decent looking top 9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad