WJC All-star team so far?

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
sour grapes...Kuznetsov has disappointed me too, but he's been picking it up, while Bobkov only allowed 1,5 bad goals and got benched, there are goalies who did much worse and are still starting. While I like Bragin, he only believes in the domestic players, he's still a soviet coach, but it's his job and he will live and die with his POV

Kuznetsov played well only against non-competition. So did Orlov. Bobkov played bad against Canada, let's face it.
We talked to death about Yakupov/Namestnikov/Khokhlachev not being on the roster and I don't really think they should have made the team, playing in the CHL or in any other league.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Ortio
Cowen - Erixon
Tarasenko -Schenn - Coyle

Might be a homer vote, but Sehlin has been great, so has Lander. Haven't seen USA or Finland yet, so I don't know how they compare to their best players.

Ellis has 8 points (easily 2nd in tournament scoring) and is the leading point getter for defensemen in the tournament all-time. Like him or hate him, he has to be on the all-star team.

How many of those points did he get in the blow out against Norway?

Didn't look good in the game against Sweden, constantly beaten wide.

Olivier Roy and Dylan Olsen are Canada's nominees for the "All Terrible Team".

Adam Larsson has been terrible if you look at the fact that a lot of people see him going top-3 in the upcoming draft. Easily outperformed by both Nemeth and especially Erixon.

I still think he'll be a helluva defenceman, but he needs 3-4 years of experience and needs to execute his motions faster. It seems like he thinks he's heads and shoulders above everyone else and that he can go half speed and still be better, he can't - not even close. He's made som really moronic mistakes in this tourny.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
Might be a homer vote, but Sehlin has been great, so has Lander. Haven't seen USA or Finland yet, so I don't know how they compare to their best players.

Adam Larsson has been terrible if you look at the fact that a lot of people see him going top-3 in the upcoming draft. Easily outperformed by both Nemeth and especially Erixon.

I still think he'll be a helluva defenceman, but he needs 3-4 years of experience and needs to execute his motions faster. It seems like he thinks he's heads and shoulders above everyone else and that he can go half speed and still be better, he can't - not even close. He's made som really moronic mistakes in this tourny.

I don't think Adams been terrible, althought, he's made some brutal plays, most likely due to lack of experience. Hopefully, he has a Rundbladesque bounce-back sooner rather then later.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Only 3..

Ellis has been an offensive threat in every game this tournament.

I find Ellis a bit underrated around here, this guy has incredible hockey sense and creativity. His main weaknesses since he was 16 was his size, physicality and speed. Physicality and speed/skating are the 2 main things I've seen drastic improvements in, in the last year.
I think it's safe to say he won't grow much from now on but that doesn't mean he won't be effective, the new NHL allows smaller players to be good based on skill and talent rather then size.

One thing I find incredible about his game is that he's never been under ppg for anything in his career (still impressive even if it's just juniors).

ItsTheBGB

Borusse!!
Aug 30, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Only 3..

Ellis has been an offensive threat in every game this tournament.

I find Ellis a bit underrated around here, this guy has incredible hockey sense and creativity. His main weaknesses since he was 16 was his size, physicality and speed. Physicality and speed/skating are the 2 main things I've seen drastic improvements in, in the last year.
I think it's safe to say he won't grow much from now on but that doesn't mean he won't be effective, the new NHL allows smaller players to be good based on skill and talent rather then size.

One thing I find incredible about his game is that he's never been under ppg for anything in his career (still impressive even if it's just juniors).

Just ask Pierre McGuire.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This is going to be a little homerish, but Charlie Coyle has had an outstanding tournament. His assists were pretty much all primary and he has had great passing, while being quite good defensively (I didn't see much of game I for the US, so maybe my analysis is off) and he's third in the WJC with 6 points.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
This is going to be a little homerish, but Charlie Coyle has had an outstanding tournament. His assists were pretty much all primary and he has had great passing, while being quite good defensively (I didn't see much of game I for the US, so maybe my analysis is off) and he's third in the WJC with 6 points.

Seventh, actually. Orlov, Tarasenko and Johansen are also ahead of him and Sobchenko also has 6 points but has two more goals than Coyle.

pouskin74*

Kuznetsov played well only against non-competition. So did Orlov. Bobkov played bad against Canada, let's face it.
We talked to death about Yakupov/Namestnikov/Khokhlachev not being on the roster and I don't really think they should have made the team, playing in the CHL or in any other league.

even the mighty NHL dosnt change your mind?;)

Pyke*

Three of 8, but since no Sweden forward has more than 5 - and they also blew out Norway 7-1 - and no Russian player has more than his 8 - and they also blew out Norway 8-2, I'm not sure why that matters.

FinProspects

Sep 15, 2007
A quick question, how many of you have actually seen even 60-70% of the games? A bit hard to judge purely based on stats. Lets wait til medal games before making any allstar lines etc..

This is just promoting players from your own country..oh well, its HFboards after all, so...

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
A quick question, how many of you have actually seen even 60-70% of the games? A bit hard to judge purely based on stats. Lets wait til medal games before making any allstar lines etc..

This is just promoting players from your own country..oh well, its HFboards after all, so...

There's nothing wrong with picking who we think the frontrunners are heading into medal rounds. Just a reflection on what i've seen:

I agree with a bunch of the Swedish posters in picking Erixon and Cehlin (Jarnkrok has been great as well). For me as a Canadian I would only have Schenn there- no way any of those d-men deserve that status no matter how many PP points they have. Charlie Coyle has been my favorite forward on any other team:

Campbell

Erixon------???? tbd

Cehlin......Schenn......Coyle

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
If getting points against Czechs and Norwegians were that easy, why couldn't everyone do it? It takes a lot of skill which Ellis has.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I always find it disappointing to see the bias that exists against offensive defensemen. It doesn't matter if he were to hypothetically give up two goals against per game as long as he helps create three goals for his own team. It's interesting that defensive defensemen who provide NOTHING in the way of offense don't take the same criticism that a high scoring blueliner gets for playing only so-so in his defensive zone. The bottom line is that you take Ellis out of our lineup, and there goes our powerplay and our main edge on winning games. Those of you who said he doesn't belong on the tourney all-star team, give your head a shake.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Okay I gave my head a shake, and then I looked up some stats to see if they reflect what I remember seeing, and sure enough:

Ellis had 1 pt, ES goal, against Russia, and 0 points against Sweden. Not saying he didn't run the PP well or that he's not a much better offensive defenceman than any of the other Canadian defenders BUT we could have easily beaten the Czecks and Norwegians without him.

He's better defensively than some give him credit for, but not good enough in that respect to make up for not getting anything done offensively against Sweden. He's still the frontrunner for a Canadian d-man to make all tournament team but it shouldn't be on the basis of crushing the Czecks and Norwegians.

GREENs Guardian

Dec 14, 2010
Canada
WJC ALL STAR TEAM (Round Robin)

GOALIE: ORTIO
i love Campbell, he has been great so far in the tourney but i think Ortio has matched him and has done more with less; anyone who says the fins have a defense core of similar caliber defense to the americans is dreaming. Ortio has been spectacular for the fins and has given them a chance to win every game (Mainly talking about the US game as he really needed to be great there).

DEFENSE: ORLOV - FAULK
This was tough as no one has really seperated themselves from the pack IMO. Some have in a bad way(cough, Olsen). I am gonna say Orlov as he has done alot for the russians in terms of offense. I really dont want to though, for any of u who think Mike Green is poor in his own zone(which he isnt) Orlov is Green X100. He is just brutal in his own zone. Doesn't cover his man at all, looks like he just is waiting for the other four guys to get the puck out so he can go on offense. He is solid in the offensive zone though. I will also say Faulk(i have only seen the US play twice but i really like what he has done).

FORWARDS: CEHLIN - SCHENN - TARESENKO
Cehlin has looked great and has created chences from nothing. Schenn has been greatand has just dominated. Taresenko has played very well, he has been big when russia needed it IMO.

Anyways, thats my opinion. A preatty accurate one i feel

Baldo Ronaldo

Jan 2, 2009
I really think it's too bad about Kassian. He definitely has what it takes to dominate and be an absolute star in this tournament - size, speed, amazing shot; but that hit really represented a tuning point in his level of play (and that of team Canada in general).

I have to say that in light of Kassian being out of the running, Patrick Cehlin has been just dynamite as was Landeskog before he got hurt. I really think Landeskog would have contended for an all star spot along with Kassian had things gone differently.

Landeskog would go first overall if I were the GM for whoever drafts first in 2011; he plays with a ton of heart, physicality, speed and skill.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

I think Coyle has possibly been the best player in the tournament. Every time he's on the ice, something good is happening for the US.

Pyke*

Okay I gave my head a shake, and then I looked up some stats to see if they reflect what I remember seeing, and sure enough:

Ellis had 1 pt, ES goal, against Russia, and 0 points against Sweden. Not saying he didn't run the PP well or that he's not a much better offensive defenceman than any of the other Canadian defenders BUT we could have easily beaten the Czecks and Norwegians without him.

He's better defensively than some give him credit for, but not good enough in that respect to make up for not getting anything done offensively against Sweden. He's still the frontrunner for a Canadian d-man to make all tournament team but it shouldn't be on the basis of crushing the Czecks and Norwegians.

The fact that Kassian was out of the line-up hurt our powerplay. He also had a point in the win today. I'm not entirely sure why crushing the Czech's is discounted; especially since they played well against the Swedes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad