Prospect Info: WJC 2022 part 2: Picking Back Up In August

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
@NotProkofievian
I agree I think slafkovsky’s biggest problem is he can play a bit to nonchalant sometimes. He did this at the HGC too, he’d dominate for several minutes and than would disengage. When he’s on he is very hard to defend. He carved that American d a few times, than you’d say another time “why aren’t you going right for the goal there/move your feet.” I really liked Dvorsky today, he played well 2 way too, its a shame he’s playing in the bottom 6 with players with low hockey iq players

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I'm not a scouting expert so my opinion bears minimal value, but I really didn't see it with Slafkovsky.

Dude had no drive.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
@NotProkofievian
I agree I think slafkovsky’s biggest problem is he can play a bit to nonchalant sometimes. He did this at the HGC too, he’d dominate for several minutes and than would disengage. When he’s on he is very hard to defend. He carved that American d a few times, than you’d say another time “why aren’t you going right for the goal there/move your feet.” I really liked Dvorsky today, he played well 2 way too, its a shame he’s playing in the bottom 6 with players with low hockey iq players

I was impressed with Dvorsky. He plays a really mature game & goes into the hard areas of the ice with purpose and confidence. Looks good.

Boardish

Mar 3, 2004
Great game by Slovakia. Second period was rough, but that is a fine young team.

This 1st day only solidified the top players for me:

Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, Jiricek, Nemec, Kemell & Lambert came in to the WJC as the top 2022 prospects, and they all come with interesting skills & flaws.

Add in Savoie and that's your top 8.

One of them will likely be a Canadien. No idea which one and it will be a difficult choice.

I don't want to put you on the spot, but if you had to do an early top 8 draft ranking, what would it be? Just your initial impressions as I'm sure you would feel like it's too early to commit to anyone.

Your opinions are worth a lot for the prospect loving but not that intense fan that I am!

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'm not a scouting expert so my opinion bears minimal value, but I really didn't see it with Slafkovsky.

Dude had no drive.

There’s something there but I’m not sure Montreal is the organization that is fit to have him figure it out.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yep, there's no reason why we couldn't like double their salary. Use your f***ing big market money.

For Mann, depends how involved he was in Tyler Boucher's pick though :laugh:
Everyone is bound to f*** up picks. Didn't Madden Jr draft Nick Ritchie? It's drafting key players to make up for it that will be telling. Anyways, Madden Jr is definitely my number 1 choice too.

Last edited:

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I don't want to put you on the spot, but if you had to do an early top 8 draft ranking, what would it be? Just your initial impressions as I'm sure you would feel like it's too early to commit to anyone.

Your opinions are worth a lot for the prospect loving but not that intense fan that I am!

Thank-you!

I shouldn't have said that's top 8 though because I really like Frank Nazar and he's not at WJCs either along with Savoie.

I plan on keeping Wright at #1 until end of season. Wright was as dominant at u18s as McTavish was.

But, McTavish's development has skyrocketed and Wright has stalled. A lot of it is due to skating and pace. McTavish is what happens when you improve both, which is why I watch a lot of Geekie. However, there is a full calendar year between McTavish and Wright too. I wonder how much work Wright put into his game this past summer? Anyways, I know Wright can be a dominating force. It's in his past.

I'm disappointed in Wright, but I'm not ready to give up on him at #1. He needs to step his game up.

My top 12:

1. Wright
2. Cooley
3. Jiricek
4. Nazar
5. Savoie
6. Lambert
7. Geekie
8. Nemec
9. Slafkovsky
10. Yurov
11. Kemell
12. Mesar

The real project in this group is Slafkovsky. My heart likes him, but my head says we will never develop him and it's a KK pick all over again. He is really raw.

Last edited:

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Thank-you!

I shouldn't have said that's top 8 though because I really like Frank Nazar and he's not at WJCs either along with Savoie.

I plan on keeping Wright at #1 until end of season. Wright was as dominant at u18s as McTavish was.

But, McTavish's development has skyrocketed and Wright has stalled. A lot of it is due to skating and pace. McTavish is what happens when you improve both, which is why I watch a lot of Geekie. However, there is a full calendar year between McTavish and Wright too. I wonder how much work Wright put into his game this past summer? Anyways, I know Wright can be a dominating force. It's in his past.

I'm disappointed in Wright, but I'm not ready to give up on him at #1. He needs to step his game up.

My top 12:

1. Wright
2. Cooley
3. Jiricek
4. Nazar
5. Savoie
6. Lambert
7. Geekie
8. Nemec
9. Slafkovsky
10. Yurov
11. Kemell
12. Mesar

The real project in this group is Slafkovsky. My heart likes him, but my head says we will never develop him and it's a KK pick all over again. He is really raw.
is their a reason u have Savoie that low is it the height bcuz that kid is amazing

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
is their a reason u have Savoie that low is it the height bcuz that kid is amazing

He's dynamic when he has open ice when that ice is taken away he tends to not be able to do much. I question his abilities at 5 on 5 in games where there's actual checking. He becomes invisible. There's been a few games where I had concerns how well he translates to NHL. A lot of his highlights are off PPs. He has obvious elite skills, but I don't see an NHL-type game from him ... yet.

However, the effort is always there. He plays at a high pace, the skating is outstanding, and his shot/release is elite.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

I should add. He's dropped on a few lists for same reasons. HP has him at #7 and Geekie at #2. Rankings are going to be all over the place in top 10. This is a draft where the scouts need to know what they're doing/looking for.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
He's dynamic when he has open ice when that ice is taken away he tends to not be able to do much. I question his abilities at 5 on 5 in games where there's actual checking. He becomes invisible. There's been a few games where I had concerns how well he translates to NHL. A lot of his highlights are off PPs. He has obvious elite skills, but I don't see an NHL-type game from him ... yet.

However, the effort is always there. He plays at a high pace, the skating is outstanding, and his shot/release is elite.
Exactly why I have Savoie out of my top 10.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Anaheim drafting stud after stud. McTavish looks really good. Might be worth poaching Madden Jr. now eh?
McTavish was a hard read last year since he didn't play and only having u18's wasn't much... I was kinda surprised he went 3rd but boy is it lookong like a terrific pick early on. Kids does it all : skates, shoots, passes, plays physical, seems liked by teammates, looks like a future leader too, someone you'd follow in the corner. And they already have Zegras and Drysdale with the big club... We can't have nice things, really...

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Thank-you!

My top 12:

1. Wright
2. Cooley
3. Jiricek
4. Nazar
5. Savoie
6. Lambert
7. Geekie
8. Nemec
9. Slafkovsky
10. Yurov
11. Kemell
12. Mesar

If we do end up witht the first pick and draft Wright, I really hope we send him back to the OHL. Anyone we draft should go back actually, these kids missed a lot of time last year, more so OHL kids.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
If we do end up witht the first pick and draft Wright, I really hope we send him back to the OHL. Anyone we draft should go back actually, these kids missed a lot of time last year, more so OHL kids.

Thinking the same. There's no draft prospect that I see making the NHL next year, not even Wright. They all lost valuable development time and I think it shows.

There's no reason to rush any of these kids. If we do draft Wright send him back and try for another high pick in 2023. In fact, we should do that no matter who we draft. I expect whoever we draft in 2022 not to reach the team for 2 years.

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
Exactly, many top picks in recent years clearly needed another year to develop, dominate at their level and then get to the NHL.
Thinking of Hughes, Kakko, Lafrenière, KK, maybe even Dahlin. Owen Power made the great move to stay another year in the NCAA, next year he will arrive in the NHL and probably have the same impact as Makar had.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
Exactly, many top picks in recent years clearly needed another year to develop, dominate at their level and then get to the NHL.
Thinking of Hughes, Kakko, Lafrenière, KK, maybe even Dahlin. Owen Power made the great move to stay another year in the NCAA, next year he will arrive in the NHL and probably have the same impact as Makar had.
Hopefully these precedents will create a trend. Maybe guys like Bedard and Michkov could handle the grind in 2 years, but those are special talents. I personnally would take my sweet, sweet time with these kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad