WJC: WJC 2018 Medal predictions

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think Russia and Finland have really good chances. Russia seem to have a pretty well-rounded and experienced squad while Finland's defense look absolutely incredible on paper.

Sweden should do well too, I think they have a nice mix of skill, character and role players.

And then obviously you have USA and Canada who play 'at home' and are always good.

Honestly it's impossible to predict which team will win or even which three teams will medal.

Even the Czechs could go all the way, they have some good ones in Hajek, Chytil, Necas and Zadina.

But yeah if I was forced to guess I'd go with Sweden-Finland in the finals with Sweden going all the way and Russia getting the bronze with the americans placing 4th.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Russia is getting underrated and Sweden maybe overrated a bit. Both would not surprise to see in the final but I think Finland has the upper hand.

Reactions: Devonator

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Small ice, so either relegation games or QF loss for the Finns.

1. Canada
2. USA
3. Russia
4. Sweden

What happened in 2003, 2006, 2012? Did better than QF loss and regulation back then, and all those tournies were played in NA.
This team might not win but will be in the gold medal game.

Last edited:

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
It's amazing how people forget how bad the Fins were last year.
And you forget that the coaching staff was so terrible that it got fired mid-tournament (before relegation round). The head couch should have never chosen for the job in the first place. This makes last year's performance kind of irrelevant, even if the roster was now 100% same.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
You know WJC is coming up when you see Lollipop with his anti-Finland posts :laugh:

I think he's only salty and jealous.
Finland has won 3 golds ( U20 2014 and 2016+ U18 2016) and 2 silvers ( U18 2015 and 2017) in 3 yrs period meanwhile Sweden has won only 2 silvers ( U20 2014 and U18 2016).

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Canada looks like they are ready to tear down the roof and do some serious damage. I wanna see CAN vs FIN or SWE vs FI in the gold medal game.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
You know WJC is coming up when you see Lollipop with his anti-Finland posts :laugh:

Well, there needs to be some counterweight to ijuka and his secret second account, Erikfromfin. I too will help lollipop out with some anti-Finland tangents, stay tuned.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
SWE vs FI would be ideal. Canada didn't look as good as I thought, Switzerland was just bad.
What else could you honestly have expected in that game if Canada weren't as good as you were expecting? :laugh: I mean jesus that was one of the most dominate games I can remember watching in years.

carlhockey

Dec 18, 2017
I've watched this tournament forever and I know you do not put too much stock into pre-tournament games but Canada was so fast and so dominant in those games. Goaltending will win it for them, Hart is the best goalie in this tourny.

Gold: Canada
Silver: Russia
Bronze: Sweden

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
SWE vs FI would be ideal. Canada didn't look as good as I thought, Switzerland was just bad.
And the Czechs? 9-0?! I'm certainly not saying Canada is going to walk to a gold, but if you watched those two games and thought Canada looks weak, we should probably get you fitted for a straight-jacket.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
And the Czechs? 9-0?! I'm certainly not saying Canada is going to walk to a gold, but if you watched those two games and thought Canada looks weak, we should probably get you fitted for a straight-jacket.
Czechs played without their best players. Not saying Canada is bad or anything but I think USA will beat them if they play like they played against the Swiss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad