Czech Republic: WJC 2016: Roster Talk

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
That was probably one of the best chances to get to the medal round that we've had in ages. Very very disappointed, but based on the way we played in the tournament we didn't deserve to continue. I can deal with a loss this year if it means that we'll get a medal next year!

So let's start a roster talk based on players who are eligible to return next year and those who might make the team.

I've used joey16's list from last year and simply edited it (thanks joey :) )

All opinions are welcome. I will add players to the list that I might have missed. Btw, it's nice to see more and more Czechs posting in this forum, it makes for interesting discussions!

Goalies

Vitek Vanecek (1996)
Karel Vejmelka (1996)
Daniel Vladar (1997)
Alex Stezka (1997)
Jan Ruzicka (1997)

Defense

Dominik Masin (1996)
Tomas Havlin (1996)
Jakub Zboril (1997)
Filip Pyrochta (1996)
Alex Rasner (1996)
Jan Scotka (1996)
Martin Weinhold (1997)
Daniel Krenzelok (1997)
Lukas Doudera (1998)
Libor Hajek (1998)
Vojtech Budik (1998)
Rostislav Snajnar (1997)
Ondrej Miklis (1996)
Pavel Pycha (1996)
David Nesvadba (1996)
Ondrej Vala (1998)

Forwards

*David Pastrnak (1996)* (will probably be in the NHL)
Jakub Vrana (1996)
Pavel Zacha (1997)
Vaclav Karabacek (1996)
Lukas Vopelka (1996)
Pavel Jenys (1996)
Michael Spacek (1997)
Simon Stransky (1997)
David Kase (1997)
Filip Chlapik (1997)
Lukas Jasek (1997)
Jiri Smejkal (1996)
Roman Dymacek (1997)
Filip Zadina (1999)
David Tomasek (1996)
Jakub Kotala (1996)
Filip Suchy (1997)
Jan Dufek (1997)
Matous Belohorsky (1998)
Jan Ordos (1996)
Radek Koblizek (1997)
Tomas Soustal (1997)
Radek Vesely (1996)
Radim Zohorna (1996)
Jindrich Abdul (1996)
Lukas Andel (1997)
Jiri Cernoch (1996)
Tomas Gres (1996)

Last edited:

Vogel

Apr 28, 2013
I would add David Tomasek (1996), Jakub Kotala (1996), Filip Suchy (1997), Jan Dufek (1997), Matous Belohorsky (1998) and Vojtech Budik (1998).

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I've used joey16's list from last year and simply edited it (thanks joey :) )

No problem, man ;)

There are more players who could make this team IMO. For example, personally, last year I would have never thought Scotka would make the team this year :) And the nomination was well deserved. His not really good perforamnces in the tourney is other thing.

Besides players already written, I think out of defensemen has got a chance also Snajnar, Miklis, Pycha, Nesvadba or Vala.

Out of forwards maybe Koblizek, Ordos, Soustal, Vesely, R.Zohorna, Abdul, Cernoch, Andel..

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
And to the actual roster:

The goalies are very good. Vanecek, Vejmelka and Vladar can all fight for a starter positon. Really solid choice. And of course, someone can always come out and surprise (Stezka maybe).

Defense is OK, I guess. On paper maybe slightly better than this year, Zboril and Masin should be the guys who will lead it. Pyrochta should bring some offense, Scotka will be a returnee, will get more experience. Some 98 defensemen might get there - Hajek looks like he has the biggest chance right now, maybe also Budik or Vala. But who would say Zboril won't sneak in this year.. so we'll see.

And our biggest strenght - forwads :) If all players including Pasta are available, that would be one hell of a forwards group. Pastrnak, Vrana, Zacha, Karabacek, Chlapik, Spacek, Kase, Stransky, Vopelka, Jenys etc.

Also, half of the team should be drafted which is something we weren't used to at all past several years.

And of course.. big hope that this team will be coached by Jakub Petr.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Last edited:

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Prerost says that he sees Petr as his successor: http://novy.hokej.cz/odpovednost-nas-dostala-do-stresu-tvrdi-prerost-za-nastupce-vidi-petra/5004865

Prerost also says that he didn't take Zboril because:

a) They hadn't tested him in any tournament.

b) He was too young and it was therefore a risk (I'm pretty sure USA had a very young defensive core).

c) He doesn't play that offensively anyway :laugh: :help:

How does this guy even have a coaching license? :amazed:

Very funny interview.

So according to Prerost:

- there was a big pressure from people and media (too bad he was the one who mostly created it)

- he invited more guys to the first camp to make OBJECTIVE decision (that for sure can be made after two or three practices)

- the defense didn't have a problem with phisical play and puck moving (yeah, right)

- we didn't play well against Swiss or Danes because we're not used to play these kind of opponents

And about Zboril.. it is clear that he didn't want to take him for some reason, those things he said are just excuses. Also, intresting enough is this:
Zatímco kategorie osmnáctiletých je trošku odlišná v tom, že má hráče pohromadě celou sezonu, ve dvacítce nikoli. Co to pro trenéra znamená?
"Určitě to je strašně složité. Ale na druhou stranu jsme tentokrát měli dobrou přípravu v listopadu. V Přerově hrálo mužstvo výborně. Psychicky naprosto uvolněně, a prokazovalo kvalitu. Kämpf, Kaše a dalšÃ­ si vedli skvěle. To samé obránci. Říkali jsme: doplníme dva hráče, oba draftované - KošťÃ¡lka s MašÃ­nem. Koho jiného. Čtyři z Čech plus tihle dva. Útok? Dvě lajny byly jasné."

So he already knew in November he would take from Canada just two draftees Kostalek and Masin (out of defensemen). Why did he invite Zboril to the camp then? and then cut him right away.. (yeah, I know.. to make objective opinion about him)

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Prerost is D O N E! Crack out the champagne and bring out the beer. Joooo ty vole! :laugh:

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
just excuses. Also, intresting enough is this:
Zatímco kategorie osmnáctiletých je troÅ¡ku odliÅ¡ná v tom, že má hráče pohromadě celou sezonu, ve dvacítce nikoli. Co to pro trenéra znamená?
"Určitě to je straÅ¡ně složité. Ale na druhou stranu jsme tentokrát měli dobrou přípravu v listopadu. V Přerově hrálo mužstvo výborně. Psychicky naprosto uvolněně, a prokazovalo kvalitu. Kämpf, KaÅ¡e a další si vedli skvěle. To samé obránci. Říkali jsme: doplníme dva hráče, oba draftované - KoÅ¡ťÃ¡lka s Mašínem. Koho jiného. Čtyři z Čech plus tihle dva. Útok? Dvě lajny byly jasné."

So he already knew in November he would take from Canada just two draftees Kostalek and Masin (out of defensemen). Why did he invite Zboril to the camp then? and then cut him right away.. (yeah, I know.. to make objective opinion about him)

Yeah, he's really showing how poor his decision-making was in this interview.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Whos the 99 Zadina? Must be special to get consideration that young.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Whos the 99 Zadina? Must be special to get consideration that young.

Plays for Pardubice, talented young player with good stats. Was 2+2 as a 14 year-old in his first game with the junior team.

I added him as I thought he might make the tournament as a 16 year-old, similar to Vrana, Frk etc.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Plays for Pardubice, talented young player with good stats. Was 2+2 as a 14 year-old in his first game with the junior team.

I added him as I thought he might make the tournament as a 16 year-old, similar to Vrana, Frk etc.

16 year old but hes a late 99 born player, so technically 15 year old category.. He would be the youngest to ever make the team I think? I like your addition of him though. His current statistics are "Jagr" like. PPG in Czech U-20. He started the season as a 14 year old... Holy crap is all i have to say.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
I think Ondrej Vala will get serious consideration. My friend is a scout for the Montreal Canadiens and he was at the U-18 5 Nations Tournament that just recently passed and was going on at the same time as the U-20's. He said that for Czechs, Dufek and Jasek were good and Hajek and Vala were impressive.

Here is the link for the tournament results. Czechs lost to Finland but looked like the most impressive team there statistically.
http://stats.iihf.com/SIHF/48/index.html

Also I think that Goalie Jan Ruzicka(97) could have a chance.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Actually Frk was a late born too. But Zadina is a MUCH better prospect I think.

Let's hope so. I remember being really excited by Frk but he's pretty much fallen off the map (now playing in the ECHL....) Supposedly he didn't look after himself very well (conditioning).

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
I think Ondrej Vala will get serious consideration. My friend is a scout for the Montreal Canadiens and he was at the U-18 5 Nations Tournament that just recently passed and was going on at the same time as the U-20's. He said that for Czechs, Dufek and Jasek were good and Hajek and Vala were impressive.

Here is the link for the tournament results. Czechs lost to Finland but looked like the most impressive team there statistically.
http://stats.iihf.com/SIHF/48/index.html

Also I think that Goalie Jan Ruzicka(97) could have a chance.

Thanks for the info. I have updated the roster accordingly. Looks like we may have a pretty good D-core if these 1998 defensemen turn out well. :)

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Thanks for the info. I have updated the roster accordingly. Looks like we may have a pretty good D-core if these 1998 defensemen turn out well. :)

No problem! Thanks for your updates on the other Czech threads about the U-16 and U-17 results. :) Nice to see the U-16's doing well considering that age group (99) wasnt supposed to be very strong.

Yeah the 98 group still looks pretty solid and should have a few guys on this team.

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Also, I think that guys like Zadina, Vala or Budik have a pretty good advantage over others because they play for Pardubice. I wouldn't be surprised to see Budik or Vala on their A-team roster next year.
On the other hand, I have some doubts about Kometa Brno players. :) And I believe guys like Hajek, Dufek or Snajnar should have serious consideration.

Swipes

Apr 13, 2010
Anyone liking the idea of Pasta-Krejci playing in the WC this year if the Bruins don't make it to the playoffs? That would be awesome!

Czechexpert

Jan 23, 2009
No problem, man ;)

There are more players who could make this team IMO. For example, personally, last year I would have never thought Scotka would make the team this year :) And the nomination was well deserved. His not really good perforamnces in the tourney is other thing.

Besides players already written, I think out of defensemen has got a chance also Snajnar, Miklis, Pycha, Nesvadba or Vala.

Out of forwards maybe Koblizek, Ordos, Soustal, Vesely, R.Zohorna, Abdul, Cernoch, Andel..

I must definitely add big forward from Vitkovice Tomas Gres(96´). Has all the tools to be NHL player, he "only" needs to realize his potencial and start working much harder.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
16 year old but hes a late 99 born player, so technically 15 year old category.. He would be the youngest to ever make the team I think? I like your addition of him though. His current statistics are "Jagr" like. PPG in Czech U-20. He started the season as a 14 year old... Holy crap is all i have to say.

Uhh wow, he's almost exactly my size in height and weight and he turned 15 not long ago....

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=236471

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad