WJC 2004 Medal Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larionov Fan

Dec 30, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Sting004 said:
While it's great to see different opinions..do you think Ovechkin is going to dominate the Canadian defense? You can be sure Phaneuf will be matched up with him. While Ovechkin is known to dish out hits...I don't think he's going to get very far against Phaneuf.

Not to mention Crosby is a year older now, so he's going to 'dominate' as well.

I think you drastically underestimate the talent of Ovechkin. He will not be stopped by Phaneuf, or anyone else that Canada throws out at him... he's truly a dominating player. That being said, this tournament is a crapshoot. If the Russians get solid goaltending they should challenge the Canadians and Americans.

HellsBells

Nov 6, 2003
PEI
Visit site
Larionov Fan said:
I think you drastically underestimate the talent of Ovechkin. He will not be stopped by Phaneuf, or anyone else that Canada throws out at him... he's truly a dominating player.

We'll see....but me thinks you are underrating Canada's defence.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
God Bless Canada said:
Finland will finish third because they have the fewest weaknesses. They don't have Lehtonen or Toivonen to bail them out, but they should still have a solid team. Czech Republic is too volitaile to give serious consideration to. They may challenge for bronze, they may finish eighth. Neither result would suprise me. The Russians just don't have the depth to compete with Canada or the U.S. Two players don't win a team a medal, unless one of those is a goalie, and Russia doesn't have the goaltending. Sweden shouldn't be threatened with the possibility of relegation this year, but they're still a long way from contending for a medal.

:lol:
:lol HA,HA :lol
Seems like you mixed everything up! Russians don't have depth?!?! :loony:
About goaltending - Khudobin is great lately and better then all 4 Canadian goalkeepers. Only Montoya, Schwarz and maybe Halak look stronger on paper.
Looks like you're just too afraid of that team (which is the only explanation for your not very smart statement)... But don't worry, that's normal...
I admitt, I'm afraid of the Canadian team. There is nothing wrong with admitting that other teams are scary too. I like Finns, but saying that Finland has more depth than Russia is just insane and stupid!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Mountain Dude said:
It was either 97 or 98 for sure.

3 ****ing silvers in a row. :shakehead

3 silvers in the last 3 WJCs? This means Russia beat Canada in both 2002 and 2003 finals? What were the scores???

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Mountain Dude said:
3 ****ing silvers in a row. :shakehead

Well, it's better than losing medal contention 3 years in a row.

Lets just hope that maybe this year, if Canada goes to the championship, they can break the tradition of coughing up a commanding lead! :banghead: :mad:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
We have depth. There were about 60 players in coach list for Team Russia (This numbers are from coach Bragin mouth).
It's just about AO and EM. A lot of kids look average in their company. Bring this guys (AO and EM) to, for example, Team USA and 3/4 of this team will be looked average. IMO.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Canadian_man said:
Are you trying to rub something in or ask a serious question?
No that's a serious question. I'm asking because I've never really followed the WJC, so I have no idea what happened in those years ... I just know who won since 1999.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
wilka91 said:
No that's a serious question. I'm asking because I've never really followed the WJC, so I have no idea what happened in those years ... I just know who won since 1999.

Thats cool, I didn't know for sure.

2002 the score was I believe 3-2 Russia and 2004 it was 4-3 Russia.

I dont know %100 because I cant find any results on the net but I'm failry sure those were the results.

Mountain Dude

Canadian_man said:
Thats cool, I didn't know for sure.

2002 the score was I believe 3-2 Russia and 2004 it was 4-3 Russia.

I dont know %100 because I cant find any results on the net but I'm failry sure those were the results.

True, and we were leading in both of them as well, same with last year with the Americans.

Canadian Juniors aren't very clutch, they tend to find a way to lose, I'm just glad they grow out of it.

Mountain Dude

wilka91 said:

You should start following it, its amazing hockey being played for all the right reasons.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
wilka91 said:
the last time canada won the gold was in 1997, in 1998 they had a melt down and finished 6 or soemthing liek that. in 1999 canada got silver, then 2 bronzes and then 3 silvers. THe scores of the russian games were 5-4 and 3-2 respectively. Also russia beat canada 3-2 in OT in 1999. That was a great game. prior to 1998 Canada won 5 straight gold medals. ( i had to throw that in there)

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Kugel said:
the last time canada won the gold was in 1997, in 1998 they had a melt down and finished 6 or soemthing liek that. in 1999 canada got silver, then 2 bronzes and then 3 silvers. THe scores of the russian games were 5-4 and 3-2 respectively. Also russia beat canada 3-2 in OT in 1999. That was a great game. prior to 1998 Canada won 5 straight gold medals. ( i had to throw that in there)

Th3ey finnished 8th, including a lose to Khazikstan (sp?). It was the worst showing of Canada ever at the championships. Ironic that it came after 5 consecutive golds.

That 8th finnish along with Canada's olympic 4th finnish sparked the "Open Ice Summit" so Hockey Canada could try and fix up whats wrong with Canadian Hockey.

But with an Olympic Gold, a World Cup, consecutive Womans championships, and various other junior accomplishments, the "Open Ice Summit" has been scrapped. :handclap:

Mountain Dude

Canadian_man said:
Th3ey finnished 8th, including a lose to Khazikstan (sp?). It was the worst showing of Canada ever at the championships. Ironic that it came after 5 consecutive golds.

That 8th finnish along with Canada's olympic 4th finnish sparked the "Open Ice Summit" so Hockey Canada could try and fix up whats wrong with Canadian Hockey.

But with an Olympic Gold, a World Cup, consecutive Womans championships, and various other junior accomplishments, the "Open Ice Summit" has been scrapped. :handclap:

Add 2 World Championships to that. Yeah, I think it was really important for Canadian hockey to suffer the loss in the Olympics and World Cup, our players realized how important it is to show up and represent their country.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Mountain Dude said:
You should start following it, its amazing hockey being played for all the right reasons.
I'd love too, but where can I get to watch it? I live in *FRANCE* and it must be like the 10th most popular team sport over here!!! :banghead:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
1.Canada-I am expecting Stewart to be the most dominant Canadian player on offensive since Sidney is gonna get double teamed most tournement

2.Russia (AO comes close to breaking the scoring records for the WJC)

3. USA Personally i don't belive in Montoya and don't think he should have gone that high as he and Fleury Both benefitied in different years from a good WJC. So i am saying that this year Montoya loses has a bad game or two and gets pulled for Schnider who pulls them thorugh to the bronze but gets light up by AO in the Semi's

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Russia's goalie, Anton Khudobin, has played his first 2 games in the Russian League this week.

On Tuesday he stepped onto the ice when his team, Magnitogorsk, was down 2-0 against Yaroslavl. He played 48 minutes and didn't allow a goal on 18 shots. Metallurg won 3-2.

Today he started and played the entire game against Spartak Moscow, and recorded his 1st career shutout in the 4-0 win.

Intresting start ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad