WJC 2004 Medal Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
1.Russia- the homer in me is hoping to see Radulov have a huge tournament, and it's not impossible that he does just that
2. Canada- falls behind early, 2-0...scores two quick ones to get back into the game, Russia goes ahead in the final 2 minutes and it stays that way. 4-2, with an empty net goal.
3. USA

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
xtra said:
2.Russia (AO comes close to breaking the scoring records for the WJC)

You honestly think that could happen? When people talk about the WJC scoring records sometimes I'm not sure if they really know what these guys are up against. Peter Forsberg's WJC scoring record is an absurd 31 (!) points in a single tournament. Naslund has the goals record with 13, and Forsberg the assists mark with 24.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Epsilon said:
You honestly think that could happen? When people talk about the WJC scoring records sometimes I'm not sure if they really know what these guys are up against. Peter Forsberg's WJC scoring record is an absurd 31 (!) points in a single tournament. Naslund has the goals record with 13, and Forsberg the assists mark with 24.

I know the marks that i was talking about but while watching the World Cup i was so impressed. I don't think its a stretch to think that he could score 13 goals at all.

The talent in the WCJ is no where close to the WC and I truly belive he will be able to do it.

Forsbergs mark though i admit will not be touched any time soon (Until Brule Plays :D )

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:

You hit the nail on the head. People don't really know. Ovechkin isn't going to come close o breaking Forsberg's record. If he get's half the number of points Forsberg did it will be an accomplishment. People were falling over themselves raving about Parise's (and Dawes) production last year, and what did they have, 11 points?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Epsilon said:
http://hjortron.ett0.com/~mill/foppa/statistics/SWE/WJC/scheduleWJC93.html
Forsberg points in every game at WJC 1993. 10 points against Japan teenagers isn't a big deal, Imo ;) But other numbers are very good.

Last edited:

fredez

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
wilka91 said:
Russia's goalie, Anton Khudobin, has played his first 2 games in the Russian League this week.

On Tuesday he stepped onto the ice when his team, Magnitogorsk, was down 2-0 against Yaroslavl. He played 48 minutes and didn't allow a goal on 18 shots. Metallurg won 3-2.

Today he started and played the entire game against Spartak Moscow, and recorded his 1st career shutout in the 4-0 win.

Intresting start ...
Khudobin is a very good goalie, he has very quick legs and he is solid against rebounds but I don't think he has very good glove and doesn't protect the higher part of the next well enough. I think that it will show in the WJCs abd that we won't perform well enough to lead Russia to a medal. But that's just my opinion.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Kaizer said:
http://hjortron.ett0.com/~mill/foppa/statistics/SWE/WJC/scheduleWJC93.html
Forsberg points in every game at WJC 2003. 10 points against Japan teenagers isn't a big deal, Imo ;) But other numbers are very good.

Still, a record is a record. I'm not saying any totals that players put up should be spat on because they arn't even close to Forsberg's, but that reaching his numbers is almost impossible. And heck, if you remove those 10 points against Japan, his total points will still rank as the 2nd best year ever.

Jazz

wilka91 said:
I'd love too, but where can I get to watch it? I live in *FRANCE* and it must be like the 10th most popular team sport over here!!! :banghead:

Were you in France during the 2002 U20s? France was in that one, but I guess there was not much coverage of it even then.

That year, France and Belarus played a 2-game total goal series to see who would stay up with the elite group and who would get relegated to Div I. France won the first game 3-2, and Belarus the second game also 3-2 - that set up a Shootout to determine the winner, and Belarus finally won it on the 28th shot of the shootout!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Gurj said:
Were you in France during the 2002 U20s? France was in that one, but I guess there was not much coverage of it even then.

That year, France and Belarus played a 2-game total goal series to see who would stay up with the elite group and who would get relegated to Div I. France won the first game 3-2, and Belarus the second game also 3-2 - that set up a Shootout to determine the winner, and Belarus finally won it on the 28th shot of the shootout!

I saw a hockey game in France *once* on TV, it was France - Italy 5-0. :lol:

No, they also show the Olympics.

Last edited:

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
xtra said:
2.Russia (AO comes close to breaking the scoring records for the WJC)

BTW goals record of U18 WJC belongs to Ovechkin (14) but at U20 level it will be almost impossible to achieve.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Larionov Fan said:
I think you drastically underestimate the talent of Ovechkin. He will not be stopped by Phaneuf, or anyone else that Canada throws out at him... he's truly a dominating player. That being said, this tournament is a crapshoot. If the Russians get solid goaltending they should challenge the Canadians and Americans.

WHy didn't he dominate last year?
Ovechkin is the best player right now offensively in this tournament but I don't think he'll dominate maybe 13 pts....

But I wouldn't go as far as saying that he will overmatch Phanuef ... we'll have to see when/ if the time comes

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
ktownhockey said:
WHy didn't he dominate last year?
Ovechkin is the best player right now offensively in this tournament but I don't think he'll dominate maybe 13 pts....

But I wouldn't go as far as saying that he will overmatch Phanuef ... we'll have to see when/ if the time comes
He's dominating against men in Russia. He is so much better than anyone else in the tournament IMO. No one aside from Malkin IMO is really close to him in terms of his overall ability right now. Crosby may have the offensive skills too, but Ovechkin is better overall right now.

As i've said before, top scorers IMO will be:

Ovechkin
Malkin
Olesz
Crosby

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Mine will be a little different.

I think most of the teams are very close in skill level so if you get a hot goalie, you could win the tournament because they will be the difference

1. Sweden - There was a tournament this summer and they took it to both of the US teams. (granted the skilled players were split into two teams (USA) but.. They also won the 4 nations Tournament in Nov.

2. USA - It will come down to Montoya. If his back is fine and he plays like he did last year, I think he can take the USA to the finals, if not they dont make it out of there bracket.

3. CZK - This is be a fairly good D team, IMO. If Schwartz continues his hot play into the Tournament, he may be able to carry the team, if not they wont do anything.

4. Canada - Best Team in the tournament but also has the most pressure. When only gold will due, you that is a ton of pressure. Considering that many great players have been left off the team - tad on the controversial side, the media will be all over them like stink on .............

5. Russia - Great scoring on the 1st line and will have an interesting D. This will be a fun team to watch, but there are some ? marks.

FINAL prediction:

Belarus does not finish in the bottom 2 spots.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. USA
4. Finland

If Sweden makes it to the playoffs then I'm extremely happy. But really all I hope for is that they finish ahead of Switzerland and Slovakia. That would be quite sufficient.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Frenzy1 said:
1. Sweden - There was a tournament this summer and they took it to both of the US teams. (granted the skilled players were split into two teams (USA)

I wouldn't say they "took it to both of the US teams." The scores were Sweden 3 - Team Blue 0, Sweden 3 - Team White 3 (Sweden wins in a shootout), Sweden 4 - Team Blue 5. I like the Swedish team but I'd be surprised if they win the whole thing (they could grab a medal though IMO).

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Sweden? Win the gold? Sweden didn't have a first round pick last year. Their top pick from 2003, Robert Nilsson, is being panned as a mistake at 15 overall. They didn't have any other top picks in 2003. And you think for a second that you're going to win gold? The 2005 Swedish crop looks better than it's been for several years, but this is a tournament for 19 and 20 year olds, not for those who are 18. Sweden will be lucky to finish in the top five. Your development system has been in disarray for several years, and you don't have the 19 and 20 year olds to keep up with Canada or the U.S.

To re-iterate:
1. Canada
2. U.S.
3. Finland.

espo*

Mountain Dude said:
True, and we were leading in both of them as well, same with last year with the Americans.

Canadian Juniors aren't very clutch, they tend to find a way to lose, I'm just glad they grow out of it.
Just the last few years they have'nt been very clutch,before that they were plenty clutch.You don't lock up five golds in a row without being clutch...no other country has ever been so clutch in the world juniors when you think back to that run and all the other amazing thrilling wins for gold.I think that statement is more then a little off...maybe you really meant to say they have'nt been clutch lately?That must be what you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad