With the Jets graduating, will the Flyers be the new shiny toy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Before 82 games are over, you don't earn a contender title until you're actually in the playoffs. Jets are having a good start to the season so far at the 1/4 mark.

As the saying goes - Pump your breaks kid.

Jets didn't start well but they turned it around fast within the first two months of the season.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
So through 20 games, 40 games, and 60 games last season, the Toronto Maple leafs were, "lucky" and "bound to regress"

But through 25 games this season, the Jets are "contenders"???

Go look at the standings from 25 games in last season. Their very different from the end of season.

Obviously 25 games doesn't make a playoff team, let alone a contender.

The leafs proved themselves over 82 games last season, let's wait and see if the Jets can.

Reactions: naruto

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Their forward core is really old too. Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds.... and Patrick isn't looking that good either....
Good point. I think the Flyers' problem is that they have a top-end (and expensive) core that looks like it is in decline, and their young group isn't going to be good soon enough to create a really top-end team. I could be wrong about that, but it just seems like the timing doesn't really work for the Flyers.

Reactions: naruto

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So through 20 games, 40 games, and 60 games last season, the Toronto Maple leafs were, "lucky" and "bound to regress"

Go look at the standings from 25 games in last season. Their very different from the end of season.

The leafs proved themselves over 82 games last season, let's wait and see if the Jets can.
Does it really hurt that much to see the Jets performing well, as had been predicted by many?

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
OP is out to lunch... they predicted the Jets would win the cup in 2019, not 2018. Happens to all of us.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
giphy.gif

jesui

Jan 21, 2011
everywhere

Well if we look at the games Jets have played this year, i'ts been 67gp 38-22-7
I think that's a record of a contender.
They've been trending upwards pretty rapidly about a year now.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Good point. I think the Flyers' problem is that they have a top-end (and expensive) core that looks like it is in decline, and their young group isn't going to be good soon enough to create a really top-end team. I could be wrong about that, but it just seems like the timing doesn't really work for the Flyers.

There were unrealistic expectations for their young defensemen. It was assumed that these guys were going to come up and succeed right away in the NHL with no bumps in the road.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
There were unrealistic expectations for their young defensemen. It was assumed that these guys were going to come up and succeed right away in the NHL with no bumps in the road.
Perhaps, but I always wondered how you build a contender around young LHD. I am a bit surprised that they never moved any of them for more help up front.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I think that Flyers defense will be something very soon and as such the team will get better. As to the Jets they're off to a good start but it'll take more than 24 games before we know what they are or even if they make the playoffs this year.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
If the jets were 1st in the league, by a large margin, would they not be considered a contender despite not winning any playoff games?

Reactions: SoupaTroupa

rent free

Apr 6, 2015

Maybe it's possible the op didn't say the leafs are lucky and are going to regress...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
All summer we heard about that overrated d... same thing with Carolina....
"Elite" d cores....so elite that neither of them are in a playoff position.
Wtf are you talking about?

You do know the Flyers D that's been talked about is the FUTURE D.....not the present one.

Ghost year 3
Provy year 2
Hagg rookie
Sanheim rookie
Morin AHL
Myers AHL
Friedman AHL
Hogberg SHL
Bernhardt SHL

The present defense has MacDonald and Manning on it. Gudas too sometimes...lol.

Almost every Flyer fan had them as playoff tweeners. A lot had to go right to make it in the toughest division in the league. That has not happened. Having a good coach would help too.

Put it this way, since Hextall took over and started building thru the draft, only Provy, Konecny, Patrick and Sanheim are on the team. Everyone else is still developing. Building thru the draft takes time and patience....something Flyers fans are not used to.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Then why do they have the best point% and goal differential among Canadian teams?

Remember when points percentage didn’t matter last year in the leafs jets arguments with you?

Glad it’s important now ;)

You said it yourself, leafs and jets are close.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Funny thread, started by a Leaf and he immediately starts by talking about the Jets "graduating" to contender group and then other Leaf fans jump on that start slagging the Jets......goofy thread. Leaf fans bored they need to create a thread with a backhanded compliment (that no one believes) just so other Leaf fans can jump on it and slag the Jets more????

Here's a thought, if you want to slag on the Flyers leave the Jets completely out of your thread.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Funny thread, started by a Leaf and he immediately starts by talking about the Jets "graduating" to contender group and then other Leaf fans jump on that start slagging the Jets......goofy thread. Leaf fans bored they need to create a thread with a backhanded compliment (that no one believes) just so other Leaf fans can jump on it and slag the Jets more????

Here's a thought, if you want to slag on the Flyers leave the Jets completely out of your thread.

Holy shit, what a bunch of drama queens! Hahaha. I actually love the Jets this year, they've gotten help from the goalie but they've also started playing much better team defence as well. Morrissey is probably the most underrated player on that team, and Lowry has been a beast. I've been tuning in lately to watch the kids play.

Some of ya'll need to get out and get some fresh air, take off the tinfoil hates. The world isn't out to get ya!

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
We're not contenders.

We're in a playoff position after 25 games.

Before we can be contenders, we have to be in a playoff position after 82 games.

But yeah, regarding the Flyers, i think there was a lot of mixed feelings about them this summer. Me and many others didn't think they'd make the playoffs as it felt more like a year where introduce the kids to the big league. But i understand why some did like them. They're a team that have those top guys and a lot of exciting young players.

I think their "future blueline" has been overhyped a bit though.. Let's actually see them make it first.

RandomJetsFan

Apr 19, 2014
manitoba
The flyers do have some very nice pieces. Pieces I'll admit I'm jealous that they have and I see them having a bright future providing they don't do anything drastic or desperate :). For the jets being contenders is debatable, but they have taken all the right steps to be competitive for a playoff spot and once in the playoffs let the race to 16 wins begin.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Their forward core is really old too. Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds.... and Patrick isn't looking that good either....

None of those guys is 30 (though Giroux will be in 2 months). Simmonds is a bit down this year, but Giroux and Voracek are both playing great. Hardly super-young, but they've all got 5+ good years left.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Does it really hurt that much to see the Jets performing well, as had been predicted by many?
Not hurt at all, I love it that the Jets are good!
Their a great team. Just saying that sample size is still tiny in the big picture. Too small of a sample to call them a contender. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad