Line Combos: With the addition of Orlov, how do you see the defense pairings?

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Carlo has been the best partner for Orlov so far, by far. Orlov is used to playing with a defensive D and in a shutdown role. I'm sticking with...

Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Cliffy
Orlov-Carlo

All have been dominant pairs this year (granted 81-25 is a tiny sample), there are no potential weak pairs, and it keeps one of Mac / Lindy / Orlov on the ice at all times.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Based on <20 mins of Even Strength results so far with Orlov in the lineup, I'd go:

Without Forbort
Lindholm - McAvoy
Orlov - Carlo
Grzelcyk - Clifton

Without Clifton
Lindholm - McAvoy
Orlov - Carlo
Forbort - Grzelcyk

Without Grzelcyk
Forbort - McAvoy
Lindholm - Clifton
Orlov - Carlo

However, I'd still mix and match for at least 10 more games before starting to lock in the pairs for the playoffs.

neverwatchthegames

Feb 22, 2023
Does yall think that bertuzzi will now play with bergeron and Debrusk now that marchand is injured as well.
I gotta think that we're going to see a lot of different line/pair combos down the stretch. Coach Jim seems to be trying to rest guys and test out different configurations to prepare for the playoffs both in terms of load management as well as practicing for injury related game plans.

Reactions: Nhlpowerweek

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Carlo has been the best partner for Orlov so far, by far. Orlov is used to playing with a defensive D and in a shutdown role. I'm sticking with...

Gryz-McAvoy
Lindholm-Cliffy
Orlov-Carlo

All have been dominant pairs this year (granted 81-25 is a tiny sample), there are no potential weak pairs, and it keeps one of Mac / Lindy / Orlov on the ice at all times.
Yep I love this idea. Wasn't sure if Orlov should go line 1 or if Gryz should, but I think you keep 48-73 together as you know exactly what you'll get.

Been pining for Lindholm-Clifton since they were together at the start of the year, and you just know Cliffy is about to hit his 2nd gear in playoffs as well.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Yep I love this idea. Wasn't sure if Orlov should go line 1 or if Gryz should, but I think you keep 48-73 together as you know exactly what you'll get.

Been pining for Lindholm-Clifton since they were together at the start of the year, and you just know Cliffy is about to hit his 2nd gear in playoffs as well.
lindy and cliffy is a great pair.
allows cliffy to take offensive chances as well.

Reactions: NDiesel

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
lindy and cliffy is a great pair.
allows cliffy to take offensive chances as well.
I'm not sure I WANT Cliffy taking offensive chances in the playoffs. In fact, I'd like to see a little more of a disciplined approach, instead of the Cliffy "chicken with the head cut off" kamikaze style. Sure its fun to watch. Not so sure its what you need in the post season, though.....But I'm splitting hairs. We've got 7 guys on the back end that I'm more than comfortable with...

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I'd like to see these 4 on the ice for the max minutes. In no special order Mac-Carlo- Orlov- Lindholm.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
As awful as he was last night, I will continue to bang the drum for Clifton to be paired with Lindholm. That duo was legitimately good to start the year. Sit Forbort, who is easily the worst defenseman 5 on 5.

Orlov-McAvoy
Lindholm-Clifton
Grzelcyk-Carlo

Gives you 3 pairings with a balance of skill and size/defensive acumen.

Reactions: NDiesel

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
As awful as he was last night, I will continue to bang the drum for Clifton to be paired with Lindholm. That duo was legitimately good to start the year. Sit Forbort, who is easily the worst defenseman 5 on 5.

Orlov-McAvoy
Lindholm-Clifton
Grzelcyk-Carlo

Gives you 3 pairings with a balance of skill and size/defensive acumen.

I know a lot of people detest dressing 7 D. However, the question is does the ability
of dressing 7 D and using Forbort predominantly in a PK mode and in game injury stopgap outweigh the issues created by using 11F (potential fatigue, line combo issues
and bench confusion on line changes). So is Forbort's PK contribution more important than Greer's\Frederick's ice time, assuming Foligno doesn't make it back? If both 71\17
make it back Hathaway, Frederic and Greer?

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I know a lot of people detest dressing 7 D. However, the question is does the ability
of dressing 7 D and using Forbort predominantly in a PK mode and in game injury stopgap outweigh the issues created by using 11F (potential fatigue, line combo issues
and bench confusion on line changes). So is Forbort's PK contribution more important than Greer's\Frederick's ice time, assuming Foligno doesn't make it back? If both 71\17
make it back Hathaway, Frederic and Greer?

Would be surprised if they went with 7 D in the playoffs.

Can't see sitting Hathaway. One of only 3 legit RWs on the roster.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Put this in the Postgame thread but probably better suited here. Warning: statistics were used in the writing of this article. Consume at your own risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad