Prospect Info: With the 9th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Vitali Kravtsov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Not going to lie--I would have taken either Dobson or Wahlstrom at 9 and the fact that the Islanders grabbed both of those guys kind of cheeses me off a bit. That said Kravtsov played in the KHL last year and had a monster playoffs.

It's kind of like the year the year the Rangers took Kovalev though. He wasn't supposed to go as early as we took him either. I think Kravtsov will be a really good pick but IMO Dobson as a No. 1 potential D was who I would have gone for.

I understand why they took Kravstov, size, speed, skill, hunger. I don't have anything against the player, but the Rangers scouting staff does not take the scarcity into account, guys like Dobson and Wahlstrom are harder to come by.

Vitaly is a late birthday, and the skating ability and puck handling ability has his upside up there.

I hope they keep him in NY over the summer and he goes through an extensive training program. I don't think he's ready this fall, but if he's skating and pulling the moves he is at 205-210.... this is going to be a very difficult player to stop.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Carp did write a few weeks ago about the Rangers pick not being the pick people expected. Kravstov was their guy.

McKenzie had Kravstov at #12 and one scout thought he was a top 5 pick

14. Philadelphia: Vitaly Kravtsov, RW, Chelyabinsk-KHL
The Ron Hextall regime showed it’s willing to invest this high in Russians playing in Russia when they picked German Rubtsov. Kravtsov will play in the KHL next season and then likely come over. He had one of the best endings to a season I’ve ever seen from a prospect, and I’ve heard from several teams that consider him a top 10 talent.

Corey Pronman's 2018 NHL Mock Draft: Who's selected after...

Reactions: yarre

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
People want elite upside? This kid has elite upside. I get the disappointment over Wahlstrom but there is a lot to be excited about here. He has wheels, skill, size, and is willing to use his body. If he can fill out and find consistency, he projects with as much offensive potential as anyone in the draft.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Finally, I don’t think the Rangers are going all out to move up in the draft. I think they believe that the player they will get at No. 9 is as good as a player they might get at 4 or 5, and that they’d be better off selecting three times in the first round than giving up one of those picks for a player who might (and might not) be dramatically better.

That said, it remains a possibility. And that said, I believe a lot of draftniks are going to be surprised with the Rangers’ pick(s).

Carp wrote this on May 9th. Someone told him early on about the Rangers thought process.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Anyone have any highlight videos they like? Or should I just keep looking around on google and YouTube like a goober.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Well, maybe it has to do with the third component of what Gorton talked about yesterday: speed, skill and character.

THN mentioned something about Wahlstrom’s effort level. So if you have two players who are on close to equal footing and one has questions about his effort, you take the one you don’t. Who knows how the interview went with Wahlstrom too. So many things we just don’t know.

Also, I mentioned this earlier, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they also liked Kravtsov being 7 months older (again otherwise on equal footing), in addition to playing against men like you mentioned.
What GM says they want players that are slow, unskilled bad characters?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interesting they had him as the second best forward. Not sure I agree about that.

Then again, this is the one pick that we made so far that I didn't have ranked considerably lower than where we picked him, so I shouldn't complain too much. :laugh:

Reactions: Phnxldr

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
I'd heard someone of NHL Network (Sirius Radio) this wek say there were teams who had Kravtsov at #5 overall. He supposedly improved all year and was a beast in the KHL playoffs.

I personally love this pick.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Kravtsov is way more well rounded than Wahlstrom, he might not have as good of a shot, but his shot is still good and he can score in more ways than Wahlstrom, but then he’s a better stick handler, passer, and defensive player
I dont dislike Kravtsov. He checks off a lot of boxes. I still dont know that he is a better prospect than Wahlstrom. He certainly was not rated as such by many before the pick happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad