Prospect Info: With the 9th Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Vitali Kravtsov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Fine with the pick.

Point: Like Andersson, Kravtsov is on the older end of the draft. If you’re trying to turn the rebuild quickly, that makes sense.

Should leave him in the KHL next year though.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
The only thing I'm sad is that we won't hear much pos draft from Kravtsov because of his probably poor english.:(

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I hate that we didn't trade up for Zadina or take Wahlstrom, but I don't think Kravtsov is a bad pick.

It's just that, like Lias Andersson last year, I don't think he's the best pick. I don't understand why this organization has to go off the reservation so often in the first round. It's like they are trying to outsmart people.

But they need to take a look and realize that their track record of doing this in the first round sucks, and that if they went with convention they'd be much better off, historically. Tarasenko or Fowler over McIlrath. Mittlestadt over Andersson. Probably Walhstrom over Kravtsov.

Stop getting cute, Gordie Clark and Jeff Gorton.

So here's the deal. I wanted Wahlstrom too, but your comparisons after the 2010 draft are just not useful yet. The jury is still out on Andersson and Kravtsov vs. Mittelstadt and Wahlstrom so JG has some time before he deserves to be buried.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
So here's the deal. I wanted Wahlstrom too, but your comparisons after the 2010 draft are just not useful yet. The jury is still out on Andersson and Kravtsov vs. Mittelstadt and Wahlstrom so JG has some time before he deserves to be buried.
Meh, I don't ever see Lias having the ceiling of Mittelstadt. Agree on this years pick, just too soon.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I know we fall in love with these kids, but, people need to understand, a lot of times, the difference in some of these kids is minimal. This is a kid with a very high end. It's now on the Rangers to develop that high end. If he maxes out, this is the high-end skill we've been craving.
We have such a great history at developing great players. /sarcasm

Reactions: Kovalev27

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
People want a high end skill guy, here he is. Had one of the best draft seasons in the KHL with an insane, historical playoffs. He’s NHL ready and has upside to be a 70 point guy. Plays like Kuznetzov. Creative all around offensive player who can play gritty with good size. I wanted Wahlstrom/Dobson just like the rest of you and I thought for sure I’d hear Wahlstrom’s name called by us. I’m disappointed by this pick but I was always a huge fan of Kravtsov, he’s going to be very good

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I missed the post-pick analysis, but who did they compare Kravtsov too? I've been trying to think of a comparison for him, and I'm leaning towards young Rick Nash. That's a stylistic comparison, I'm not saying he'll be a Rocket Richard winner.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I missed the post-pick analysis, but who did they compare Kravtsov too? I've been trying to think of a comparison for him, and I'm leaning towards young Rick Nash. That's a stylistic comparison, I'm not saying he'll be a Rocket Richard winner.

I think I heard them say James Neal. Thats who Button has compared him to before, at least.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
For anyone that is still freaking out (you shouldn't be), go check out the thread on Kravtsov on the Prospects board. Many people there, pre-draft, were talking about how this kid is going to be looked back at as the steal of the draft, even with speculation that he might go somewhere between 3-7.

Here's how I am looking at it right now. If all goes well, Wahlstrom becomes a poor man's Ovechkin. If all goes well, Kravtsov becomes Kuznetsov (not a poor man's version). I preferred Wahlstrom at nine but I am more than OK with this pick.

Reactions: haveandare

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018

FWIW - THN had Kravtsov comp as Evgeny Dadonov

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
We had a bad season and suffered for this, a player we could have traded down for and helped build the team. This team...I need a vomit emoji.

Reactions: YoSoyLalo

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
We had a bad season and suffered for this, a player we could have traded down for and helped build the team. This team...I need a vomit emoji.
Stop with this. He’s got the potential to be a top 3 forward in this draft. McKenzie’s list had him at 12 and he tweeted the other day that multiple teams had him ranked in the 5-10 range, where were they going to trade to? 10?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
For anyone that is still freaking out (you shouldn't be), go check out the thread on Kravtsov on the Prospects board. Many people there, pre-draft, were talking about how this kid is going to be looked back at as the steal of the draft, even with speculation that he might go somewhere between 3-7.

Here's how I am looking at it right now. If all goes well, Wahlstrom becomes a poor man's Ovechkin. If all goes well, Kravtsov becomes Kuznetsov (not a poor man's version). I preferred Wahlstrom at nine but I am more than OK with this pick.
I liked this comparison someone had for Wahlstrom: Alexander Semin. He doesn’t have the bull on the puck drive that Ovechkin has, the only similar thing with Ovechkin and Wahlstrom is they love shooting from the top of the circles

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not going to lie--I would have taken either Dobson or Wahlstrom at 9 and the fact that the Islanders grabbed both of those guys kind of cheeses me off a bit. That said Kravtsov played in the KHL last year and had a monster playoffs.

It's kind of like the year the year the Rangers took Kovalev though. He wasn't supposed to go as early as we took him either. I think Kravtsov will be a really good pick but IMO Dobson as a No. 1 potential D was who I would have gone for.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm sorry but I dont understand why they took him over Wahlstrom.

I know the Rangers like players who play against men and do well in their playoffs, so it doesn't shock me, but I don't see it, yet.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Not going to lie--I would have taken either Dobson or Wahlstrom at 9 and the fact that the Islanders grabbed both of those guys kind of cheeses me off a bit. That said Kravtsov played in the KHL last year and had a monster playoffs.

It's kind of like the year the year the Rangers took Kovalev though. He wasn't supposed to go as early as we took him either. I think Kravtsov will be a really good pick but IMO Dobson as a No. 1 potential D was who I would have gone for.
Wonder who Hank would've picked, he or Dobson? Just wondering

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I know the Rangers like players who play against men and do well in their playoffs, so it doesn't shock me, but I don't see it, yet.

Well, maybe it has to do with the third component of what Gorton talked about yesterday: speed, skill and character.

THN mentioned something about Wahlstrom’s effort level. So if you have two players who are on close to equal footing and one has questions about his effort, you take the one you don’t. Who knows how the interview went with Wahlstrom too. So many things we just don’t know.

Also, I mentioned this earlier, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they also liked Kravtsov being 7 months older (again otherwise on equal footing), in addition to playing against men like you mentioned.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

I think Kravtsov is way more well rounded than Wahlstrom, he might not have as good of a shot, but his shot is still good and he can score in more ways than Wahlstrom, but then he’s a better stick handler, passer, and defensive player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad