Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
D9sAngkUcAACiLh.jpg

Quinn Olson at eliteprospects.com

olson2.jpg

http://ajhl.esportsdesk.com/leagues...&leagueID=3464&teamID=513025&playerID=1607871

Last edited:
Reactions: 00BW

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Quinn Olson: 2019 NHL Draft Prospect Profile; A Hardworking Junior A Playmaker

Olson is a hard-working winger with soft hands and excellent speed to match a high-energy compete level. He is a dual threat with the puck, meaning he can furnish a hard shot and score in a variety of ways, or assume the role of playmaker and set-up quality chances. Committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth, Olson was a standpoint as a replacement at the CJHL Top Prospects Game, using a quick first step and anticipation to cut off attempted breakouts that turned into instant scoring chances. Olson can be deployed on both the power play and the penalty kill, and his ability to read plays in the neutral zone and guess correctly on puck travel makes him a threat to counter in an odd-man situation. Strong on his skates with impressive leg drive for a player listed under six feet, Olson can deliver big hits and is not the least bit shy at using his physical strength to battle hard in either open ice, in front of the net or in the corners. Plays a game similar to 2018 Vancouver Canucks draftee Tyler Madden.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
:thumbu:

I like a little madness now and then.

Olson was also quite familiar with the penalty box. He was not on the level of fellow-Oiler and the subject of one of my favorite prospect profiles from last year, Austin Wong. But he did average nearly a penalty minute per game in the 2017-18 season and surpassed that average in the 2018 AJHL playoffs (21 PIM in 15 games) and the 2018-19 season (75 PIM in 54 games). The majority of those calls would be a minor penalty here and a minor penalty there. There were some notable exceptions. In the 2019 playoffs, Olson had an astonishing 54 PIM in 13 playoff games. That number was largely driven by two games: a 2+10 for roughing in Okotoks’ first playoff game against Calgary, and a whopping three misconducts plus a roughing minor in their third playoff game against Calgary. That’s 44 of the 54 right there. Olson is not big but he occasionally would have a moment of madness.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Good pick UMD is a hell of a program right now PC and Umass weren’t close to them in the frozen four.

BruinsNetwork

Worth noting... he's going to play at Minnesota-Duluth, the same program that produced Karson Kuhlman. They're the defending back-to-back NCAA Champions.

If Scott Sandelin wanted him, I'd say that's probably a pretty good sign that the kid can play at least a little bit.

Patience, grasshoppers.

Like the player, but don’t like where he was picked. I’ve been a big proponent of taking your guys when you can, but I think this is different.

Would have liked to see Bs take Judd Caulfield here or trade down and get another pick out of it. Really thought they needed to get some good value at No. 92 without having a second here. Truly think Olson would have been there through both R4 and R5.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Like the player, but don’t like where he was picked. I’ve been a big proponent of taking your guys when you can, but I think this is different.

Would have liked to see Bs take Judd Caulfield here or trade down and get another pick out of it. Really thought they needed to get some good value at No. 92 without having a second here. Truly think Olson would have been there through both R4 and R5.
Understand your point, but at the end of the day, if you can find players, it doesn't matter too much where you took them.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

SAME!

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Would have loved Caulfied. He's still on the board, last I checked. Can't see him lasting until what, 154? Crazier things have happened though.

BruinsNetwork

Understand your point, but at the end of the day, if you can find players, it doesn't matter too much where you took them.

That’s a really great response and one I tend to agree with, to be honest. Very refreshing around these parts.

Like I said, I like the player and he’s headed to a powerhouse NCAA program for development, but still don’t like the value they got at No. 92. Like Caulfield’s upside and potential more, especially as someone who’s already got plenty of size on the wing.

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
That’s a really great response and one I tend to agree with, to be honest. Very refreshing around these parts.

Like I said, I like the player and he’s headed to a powerhouse NCAA program for development, but still don’t like the value they got at No. 92. Like Caulfield’s upside and potential more, especially as someone who’s already got plenty of size on the wing.

He'd give Boston a natural right shot RW as well, which is a need. Still an option until he gets drafted.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Will you give it up? Muck up every ****ing thread.

I know, facts are irritating, aren't they?

Poster brings up that one maven ranked Bruins 92nd pick at 86--ok.

I bring up that same maven ranked guy Bruins did pick at 45 when we took him at 30, and ranked guy we didn't pick at 13--not ok.

That was mucked up, all right. But not by me. I'm just reiterating what just happened.

Feel free to put me on ignore; that's what it's for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad