Prospect Info: With the 92nd Pick the Bruins select Quinn Olson LW

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Doesn’t every fan think that their team is always reaching?

And what is a “reach” reallly? A pick that is not directly in line with certain other people’s often obscure numerical rankings?

I mean when you are down into the third, fourth, fifth round and beyond...isn’t every player kind of “a reach”? I find it hard to believe criticism is warranted at that point.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I'll just point out that he was taken with the 92nd pick and one scouting service had him on their list as the 99th rated prospect.

Yes, the 6 lists he was on ranged from 99 to 208, but really, that range can describe anyone taken after the 2nd round.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I'll just point out that he was taken with the 92nd pick and one scouting service had him on their list as the 99th rated prospect.

Yes, the 6 lists he was on ranged from 99 to 208, but really, that range can describe anyone taken after the 2nd round.

It’s a 3rd round pick... if Sweeney thinks he’s a good pick then so be it. I have no problem with it.

Reactions: 00BW

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

And what is a “reach” reallly? A pick that is not directly in line with certain other people’s often obscure numerical rankings?

I mean when you are down into the third, fourth, fifth round and beyond...isn’t every player kind of “a reach”? I find it hard to believe criticism is warranted at that point.

That is a sensible point of view and therefore not welcome in draft discussions. Don't you know that Sweeney with his Harvard degree is always trying to prove that he is the smarter than everyone else?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

As we all know, the draft and the development of players is always a crapshoot/inexact science. I betcha we could look at all other 30 teams, their recent draft history and be able to identify far more misses than hits, it`s just the nature of the draft.

I also think that we all could sit here and produce a lengthy list of "can`t misses" who wound up asking if you wanted to upgrade your fries to a large size within a few years of being drafted, meanwhile a kid nobody has heard of outside of his family and friends is playing meaningful minutes in the NHL.

Seny and Zboril are the picks that often get the attention here, Seny and his development, IMO, are more surprising because when he was picked it was pretty well known he was going to be a long term project and that`s precisely what he has been. I understand fully when a kid is picked relatively high in round 1 expectations tend to be greater but again, was pretty unanimous he would take time and he has. Zboril was picked almost exactly where he was projected to go and as a big time fan of his from watching him play a ton in Junior, I`m a little disappointed he hasn`t been able to elevate his game enough to make it tough for the B`s decision makers to keep him with the big club

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Saw his highlights again on you tube. He's sneaky good mini marchand type. Knows the scoring areas. Hope he makes it.
He looks a foot taller then Marchand- I bet he ends up 6 or more he’s probably still growing

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I expected not much at DC but he was very good

I split up with Playmakers to watch scrimmage and after it was over my first question was what did you think of Olson. His phenomenal matched up with my phenomenal

We have 3-5 years to wait

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
As we all know, the draft and the development of players is always a crapshoot/inexact science. I betcha we could look at all other 30 teams, their recent draft history and be able to identify far more misses than hits, it`s just the nature of the draft.

I also think that we all could sit here and produce a lengthy list of "can`t misses" who wound up asking if you wanted to upgrade your fries to a large size within a few years of being drafted, meanwhile a kid nobody has heard of outside of his family and friends is playing meaningful minutes in the NHL.

Seny and Zboril are the picks that often get the attention here, Seny and his development, IMO, are more surprising because when he was picked it was pretty well known he was going to be a long term project and that`s precisely what he has been. I understand fully when a kid is picked relatively high in round 1 expectations tend to be greater but again, was pretty unanimous he would take time and he has. Zboril was picked almost exactly where he was projected to go and as a big time fan of his from watching him play a ton in Junior, I`m a little disappointed he hasn`t been able to elevate his game enough to make it tough for the B`s decision makers to keep him with the big club
Definitely

My guy was Knight and sadly it didn’t work out in hockey but he’s a very smart kid was taking classes and already was accepted to and is in medical school to be a doctor. Sweeney is well aware of what he’s doing. He’s still tight with Krug and Zucker who lived with him.

Things can take weird paths

I was watching Field of Dreams and Moonlight Graham made me think of this.

The family that had seats next to my folks in the 1960-70’s were a young couple. The father of the couple was named Sporgnatti and he played for the Red Sox in the 1930’s.

He left baseball to go to I think Tufts Medical School and became a Doctor. He practiced in Dedham for years. Crazy but he delivered Ted Donato I believe. Nuts

If you are ever in Conte Forum he’s in the BC Hall of Fame. Check out his plaque

Phenomenal guy. He lived to be I think 94 (I’ll look up later in baseball references) and when he died I was a bit surprised- he seemed like he would live forever

Even at the present Garden early on I was sitting next to him and he was probably in his 80’s and was a machine

I bet I’m the only person who has ever sat at a Bruins game with a guy that played against Lou Gehrig and hung out with Jimmie Foxx.

I’m sure he’d have made a baseball career but he said you could be gone in a second and there wasn’t the stability or money

Watching the Bruins listening to Mickey Cochrane, Bill Dickey, Red Ruffing, Dizzy Dean talk pretty wild

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Definitely

My guy was Knight and sadly it didn’t work out in hockey but he’s a very smart kid was taking classes and already was accepted to and is in medical school to be a doctor. Sweeney is well aware of what he’s doing. He’s still tight with Krug and Zucker who lived with him.

The family that had seats next to my folks in the 1960-70’s were a young couple. The father of the couple was named Sporgnatti and he played for the Red Sox in the 1930’s.

He left baseball to go to I think Tufts Medical School and became a Doctor. He practiced in Dedham for years. Crazy but he delivered Ted Donato I believe. Nuts

If you are ever in Conte Forum he’s in the BC Hall of Fame. Check out his plaque

Phenomenal guy. He lived to be I think 94 (I’ll look up later in baseball references) and when he died I was a bit surprised- he seemed like he would live forever

Even at the present Garden early on I was sitting next to him and he was probably in his 80’s and was a machine

I bet I’m the only person who has ever sat at a Bruins game with a guy that played against Lou Gehrig and hung out with Jimmie Foxx.

I’m sure he’d have made a baseball career but he said you could be gone in a second and there wasn’t the stability or money

Watching the Bruins listening to Mickey Cochrane, Bill Dickey, Red Ruffing, Dizzy Dean talk pretty wild

Some great stuff there, glad Knight has moved on nicely and is doing well. What he is doing scholastically isn`t something all those picks who don`t make it can. I was looking forward to seeing this kid fly up the wing for years myself but it wasn`t because I had the chance to really watch him play but fans like yourself, Dom and a few others really had me optimistic that once he figured it out in the AHL, the B`s were going to have themselves a real nice player.

You just never know, link below draft bust recap, now, not sure these are THE definitive lists of draft busts but there are some names on here that had many talking about them being impact players then poof, gone

Every NHL Team's Biggest Draft Bust: Where Are They Now?

NHL Draft: The 50 Biggest Busts in NHL Draft History

Reactions: Dr Hook

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Definitely

I absolutely love hearing that about Knight. As fans we can easily forget that hockey is not the end all- be all. Seems like he’s doing even bigger/more meaningful things than what we hoped he could do when the bruins drafted him

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I absolutely love hearing that about Knight. As fans we can easily forget that hockey is not the end all- be all. Seems like he’s doing even bigger/more meaningful things than what we hoped he could do when the bruins drafted him
I’m sure the dream was the NHL and once he realized it wasn’t happening he went to plan B. With his history of diabetes and concussions he was paying a lot of attention to the mind-body link and as an excellent student growing up this was something that he wanted

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I’m sure the dream was the NHL and once he realized it wasn’t happening he went to plan B. With his history of diabetes and concussions he was paying a lot of attention to the mind-body link and as an excellent student growing up this was something that he wanted
so great to read/see, so many of these kids seem to have absolutely zero plan for life without or after hockey and that often winds up being a potentially toxic scenario.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
so great to read/see, so many of these kids seem to have absolutely zero plan for life without or after hockey and that often winds up being a potentially toxic scenario.

No joke, this. What is even worse honestly is the college athletes I deal with that have no interest in anything else but sport. At least the pro guys have made a little (or a lot) of money trying to live the dream. I see these kids here flunk out of school (many should never have been sent to college in the first place stuck with no skills, sometimes a pile of debt, and not even the consolation of having received a decent paycheck for playing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
No joke, this. What is even worse honestly is the college athletes I deal with that have no interest in anything else but sport. At least the pro guys have made a little (or a lot) of money trying to live the dream. I see these kids here flunk out of school (many should never have been sent to college in the first place stuck with no skills, sometimes a pile of debt, and not even the consolation of having received a decent paycheck for playing.

For sure, some blame can also go to the parents who, in many cases have had the blinders of reality on when it comes to the chances/likelihood their child is going to make the show.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Now in his fifth season at Minnesota-Duluth. Are the Bruins no longer interested in signing him or is he interested in pursuing other options?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Weird necrobump. I don't think this mid-round draft pick from 2019 figures into their plans going forward.

Reactions: Kegs

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
This is still a thing?
Nnnnope. Well for some it is, which was my point. Just read the posts in this thread. But given every team evaluates and sometimes takes a player before the consensus ranking, it should not be “a thing”.

Last edited:

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Seriously, what are we doing in the Quinn Olson thread and why now?
I don’t know man, I was asked a question and I answered it factually, look at this thread and tell me the same old same old “management keeps reaching” theme hasn't reared its head again.

I’d prefer to let the pick play out, and honestly won’t likely remember in a few years if he was picked before or after his ranking…nor will I personally care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->