Confirmed with Link: With the #80 pick, the Wild select Louis Belpedio (Signed to 2-Year ELC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Fun fact someone pointed out to me on the mainboard.

and the Wild took Jack Sadek with the extra 7th

anyhow, Belpedio is a nice prospect. No harm in exposing him to the NHL. Iowa could be very inexperienced next season, losing guys like Palmquist and Alex Grant, and he might play a big role.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Fun fact someone pointed out to me on the mainboard.

Okay? I know Point had a pretty good season, but I like Belpedio's game a lot and think he'll be a solid top 4 defenseman for the Wild. Not to mention, I don't know IF Minnesota could develop a guy like Point.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Okay? I know Point had a pretty good season, but I like Belpedio's game a lot and think he'll be a solid top 4 defenseman for the Wild. Not to mention, I don't know IF Minnesota could develop a guy like Point.

I wasn't inferring 1.) the Wild would have drafted Point if they had kept the pick, or 2.) could have developed him into the current player he is.

T'was just a fun fact.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I wasn't inferring 1.) the Wild would have drafted Point if they had kept the pick, or 2.) could have developed him into the current player he is.

T'was just a fun fact.
Hi,

Tampa probably knew (or at least strongly suspected) that the Wild would have picked Point.

Otherwise, it makes no sense for them to pay a small premium to switch adjoining picks.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hi,

Tampa probably knew (or at least strongly suspected) that the Wild would have picked Point.

Otherwise, it makes no sense for them to pay a small premium to switch adjoining picks.

I wouldn't say that is a premium to trade a 7th round pick.

T'was just a fun fact.

Gotcha. Though Minnesota and a bunch of teams make trades all the time and miss players all the time.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I wouldn't say that is a premium to trade a 7th round pick.
(...)

1. I wrote "small".

2. The point was that you don't trade the 80th pick for the 79th pick (whatever extra is involved) unless you're sure that the team holding the 79th pick intends to pick the player you want.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
1. I wrote "small".

2. The point was that you don't trade the 80th pick for the 79th pick (whatever extra is involved) unless you're sure that the team holding the 79th pick intends to pick the player you want.
They may have thought someone else would trade up. Teams move up one spot in the NFL draft for exactly that reason. If they were so sure the Wild intended on picking Point, why didn't the Wild just pick him?

Reactions: BagHead

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
They may have thought someone else would trade up. Teams move up one spot in the NFL draft for exactly that reason. If they were so sure the Wild intended on picking Point, why didn't the Wild just pick him?
This is more likely what happened. Why would the Wild move back 1 spot if they knew Tampa was going to take the guy that they wanted.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The interesting thing is that Point was consensus ranked in the first round that year. It's kind of unbelievable that teams passed on this 1st round ranked player so many times, and then he goes on to become a star player. Somewhat similar to what happened with Barzal, who many had in top 5 in his draft year.

You wonder how that kind of drop happens in terms of compiled consensus rankings vs teams' actual selections. These guys couldn't do a pull-up at the combine? Didn't give generic answers in interviews, so they were deemed as "cocky" and "bad character"?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The interesting thing is that Point was consensus ranked in the first round that year. It's kind of unbelievable that teams passed on this 1st round ranked player so many times, and then he goes on to become a star player. Somewhat similar to what happened with Barzal, who many had in top 5 in his draft year.

You wonder how that kind of drop happens in terms of compiled consensus rankings vs teams' actual selections. These guys couldn't do a pull-up at the combine? Didn't give generic answers in interviews, so they were deemed as "cocky" and "bad character"?

He's small (5'10" 150 lbs soaking wet IIRC), was the best player on a bad WHL team, and didn't do much to stand out at the U-18 WJC; in his draft year. Those could have all played a part in him dropping. Didn't he kind of fall into the "not sure if his game will translate to the NHL" players?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
How did Belpedio look outside of his two secondary assists? Watched the replays from last night's game - Both points seemed almost incidental.

Seeler led the team in TOI, which I like.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
How did Belpedio look outside of his two secondary assists? Watched the replays from last night's game - Both points seemed almost incidental.

Seeler led the team in TOI, which I like.
Talk about Seeler on his thread.
It doesn't matter what the kid does because most of you on here are only worried about the home grown Minnesota kids.

You guys are going to turn me into a Jets / Hawks fan

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One mention of Seeler, and it's a big problem? How about Point? Are you Belpedio's Dad?

Anyway, in the future I think Belpedio will be causing Murphy to look over his shoulder. I was pretty high on Murphy during his fill in stint at the beginning of the season, but have cooled on him as I have begun to notice some weaknesses in his game.

It is kind of interesting to see how that skillsy, smallish Dmen are on the right side, while the bigger, defensive types are on the left, discounting Prosser( whose days as an NHL'er surely must be numbered? ).

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Also curious how he looked overall, didn't get a chance to watch the game.

Got really excited when someone posted his advanced stats a while ago, was worried he might not sign and we aren't really deep at RH dmen prospects.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So, just thinking best case scenario with him: Spurgeon is a UFA in 2 years (summer of 2020) at the age of almost 31, which would give Belpedio 1 full year in Iowa, and then 1 full year as the 3rd pair RD (maybe 2nd PP unit QB too). By then, we would/should have at least some idea if a) Dumba (who will be 26 by then) is 100% ready for the #1 RD spot and b) if Belpedio could take a legitimate shot at the #2 RD spot. If either a or b don't come to fruition, then you re-sign Spurgeon; if both come to fruition, then you at least have the conversation.

Edit: Crap, I mentioned both Spurgeon and Dumba in a Belpedio thread. I humbly ask your forgiveness.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Relax friends, no need to pile on.

Back to Belpedio & tangential player discussion.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
LDRD
SuterSpurgeon
BrodinDumba (RFA)
Seeler (RFA)Prosser
OlofssonMurphy (RFA)
Soucy Belpedio
Loov Menell
Warner Palmquist (UFA)
Labbé (RFA)Bouramman
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Might be forgetting someone, plus the unsigned guys like Boka (I think I'd offer him a contract), Chizen, Golden, but it's a favorable situation for Belpedio to say the least. I don't foresee a big defense acquisition but it might be a good idea to prepare for the worst regarding Suter.

Reactions: Minnesota

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
^ Agree.

I could totally see Belpedio winning that 3rd pairing spot from Olofsson, Murphy, Prosser, Soucy.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
We should end up having 3 or 4-man battles for each of the two 3rd pair spots. Like what was listed above, LD: Seeler, Olofsson, Soucy, Loov? and RD: Prosser, Murphy (if he comes back), Belpedio, Menell.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
LDRD
SuterSpurgeon
BrodinDumba (RFA)
Seeler (RFA)Prosser
OlofssonMurphy (RFA)
SoucyBelpedio
Loov Menell
Warner Palmquist (UFA)
Labbé (RFA)Bouramman
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Might be forgetting someone, plus the unsigned guys like Boka (I think I'd offer him a contract), Chizen, Golden, but it's a favorable situation for Belpedio to say the least. I don't foresee a big defense acquisition but it might be a good idea to prepare for the worst regarding Suter.

After a handful of pro games has Belpedio passed Menell on the depth chart? He had a good 1st NHL game, but it was more of a friendly/scrimmage game than we normally see over an 82 game season.

I think Soucy passes Olofsson next year on your list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad