With the 6th overall pick.....

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
i hope we can find a way to get him signed..though based on the way this season has gone I wouldnt be surprised if he wants to get the hell out of here

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Anaheim is not in your Conference so the more we fail the better for us :naughty:
The downside though is that the more we fail the less chance we have to keep Ryan and Hemmer :cry:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The fact that we don't even have a pick to look forward to after this pathetic season is devastating.

This team never fails to shoot themselves in the foot. We sucked all year in 2009, only to go on a late-season hot streak and screw ourselves out of a top pick, which was the difference between OEL and Cowen. We were set to pick top 3 in 2011, only to go on another late-season hot streak and screw ourselves out of another elite player. Was the difference between Landeskog and Zibanejad.

Now, without a 1st round pick in this upcoming draft, we have decided to aim for 10 straight losses late in the season to ensure Anaheim gets to pick in the top 5 and get that player we were never able to draft, because of some late season heroics by current underachieving Senators :facepalm:

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Exactly. I'm over the "OMG will Ryan sign" thing. If he isn't signed by the deadline next year, move him. Some contender will pay through the nose for him.

As for Anaheim's pick, well, at least they aren't in our conference.

Have you seen what rentals got last TD. No one will pay through the nose. We're lucky if we get a first.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
The fact that we don't even have a pick to look forward to after this pathetic season is devastating.

This team never fails to shoot themselves in the foot. We sucked all year in 2009, only to go on a late-season hot streak and screw ourselves out of a top pick, which was the difference between OEL and Cowen. We were set to pick top 3 in 2011, only to go on another late-season hot streak and screw ourselves out of another elite player. Was the difference between Landeskog and Zibanejad.

Now, without a 1st round pick in this upcoming draft, we have decided to aim for 10 straight losses late in the season to ensure Anaheim gets to pick in the top 5 and get that player we were never able to draft, because of some late season heroics by current underachieving Senators :facepalm:

This.

Except this year is the exception. There are no late season heroics. Now a team that stayed in the mix all year is falling off a cliff when the games matter. I'd be less mad if the team continued their habit of winning once the pressure is off.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I did a thingy and the chances of getting a player of Bobby Ryan's calibre outside of the top 5 in a given year (2005 to 2010, too early to judge later drafts) range from zero to twenty percent.

You can judge for yourself whether the addition of Silfverberg and Noesen to "draft pick 80%-100% likely to be worse than Ryan" makes the trade awful, but if you believe in the "best player" theory of trading...

edit: it was from an email and not very scientifically done, but:

It is completely fair to acknowledge/criticize the projections of Murray and the Senators organization just as Burke did in trading draft picks for Kessel. Burke misjudged his team, suffered from sub-.900 goaltending, and ended up the second worst team in the league. Murray misjudged his team, suffered from sub .910 goaltender (and sub.900 in long stretches) and barring a miracle will be snuggly in the bottom 10 of the league. Both GMs misjudged but probably still ended up with the best players in the whole transaction. It just looks awful on them on draft day.

Seguin has one less point than Phil Kessel (with three less games played) and is a +14 compared to Kessel's -2.

Even just a one for one with Seguin and Kessel is debatable at this point, notwithstanding the rest that the leafs gave up.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

And last year's Pesky Sens cost us a good chance at a top pick, too.

And let's not forget the 2003 draft (considered the best ever) and we get 29th for Patrick Eaves...we coulda got Weber!

Funny how the two strongest drafts in 2003 and 2013 were the two years where we overachieved or screwed up our picks. :cry:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Did you read what I bolded and responded to? The part about both GM's getting the best player of the bunch?
i feared i was intruding on an ongoing discussion. phil is an established top flight winger, while Seguin has to establish himself and this year in Dallas is a great start, but that's all it is.

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
Did you read what I bolded and responded to? The part about both GM's getting the best player of the bunch?

I said they "probably" got the best player in the trade. I was not making a definitive evaluation and I would not disagree with any reasoned argument that says Seguin is the perhaps best player, nevermind in 3 years.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It must be the idea that draft day morning, there will be no brand new #6 overall draft pick for us to unwrap, patiently develop, and turn into a hall of famer 4 or 5 years from now.

Instead we have to use this #2 overall draft pick from the Crosby draft, but he's not new, we already had him. So its like this #6 overall pick went for nothing.

Sure there's a risk that Noesen and Silf could become stars. Equally they may never get a ufa contract in the nhl. The important thing i think is that the risk was worth taking and we could afford to take it. We had more than enough prospects than we could possibly give the time they deserved to. Use the assets or lose them. Hanging on out of fear of: what if i make a mistake, all those people in hindsight will make fun of me for being wrong, well, thankfully BMurr has way more nads than that.

We got the best player in the deal now and i think in the end it will also turn out that way. We got the player we wanted, the player we could afford, who fits a role on our team now and can for the longterm going forward, and was a #2 overall pick.

So draft day, when Anaheim selects #5-#8 with our 1st rounder, im gonna laugh and say ha, we got Bobby Ryan, a #2 overall who's ready now. Good work BMurr.

Apology accepted.

:)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig