Prospect Info: With the #63 pick, the Wild select (C) Jack McBain (NCAA, Boston College)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Would be nice to get another 2nd to play with (we are now officially the anti - Fletchers), another legit G prospect(unlikely), or a big, defensive RHD prospect like Korczak.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Boldy has turned out fine - if he had been brought up last year would we be having threads on how we spoiled him by bringing him up too soon? Rossi is by no means a dominant AHL player(and will probably get his 9 NHL games in, anyway), Dewar, Kahkonen and Duhaime were brought up. ROR and Hunt will be on the team next year. Khovanov's problems have nothing to do with Iowa, and were brought with him into the organization- there were rumblings about him in junior, and louder ones in the KHL. I'm with you and don't like what they are dojng with Beckman, but OTOH I do like Chaffee's development.
Not sure what you expect. The very nature of prospects is that they don't all work out... if you look at any teams drafts picks, you will find that MOST don't work out. Also, bringing up prospects early is a hit and miss game. Last season I think many of us were envious of Newhook and Caufield, and would've traded Boldy for one of them. Now, I don't think anyone can argue that the opposite is true, and that longterm Boldy looks to be the better player. Isn't it possible that not rushing him up to the NHL might've helped him develop?

Where is the positive selling point in any of this? Argue any move made or not either way, I don't care.

I'm just stating:
- Iowa is a garbage AHL team, and looks to stay that way.
- Little chance of a promotion. (Addison, Rossi)
- Seniority matters more than ability. (Bjugstad, MarJo, Benn)
- Employs aren't put in position to succeed. (Beckman)
- Management has a my way or the highway attitude and plays favorites based on that.

These are all big red flags for anyone looking at a prospective place of employment.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Where is the positive selling point in any of this? Argue any move made or not either way, I don't care.

I'm just stating:
- Management has a my way or the highway attitude and plays favorites based on that.

These are all big red flags for anyone looking at a prospective place of employment.
No NHL franchise worth a pot of spit does their business any differently. Every fan thinks their guy should be promoted. I do think Guerin can be emotional but I also think we've seen that guys like Mike Reilly, Jimmy Vesey and Justin Schultz were not somehow worthy of special treatment. Nor is Jack McBain. By and large guys that spurn the teams that draft them largely turn into overrated flops at best, probably because they lack the "earn it" mentality literally every NHL franchise is looking for -- even at the cost of short-term results.

P10p

May 15, 2012

I'm just stating:

Or teams know their prospects strengths/weaknesses more than the average hf fan who never watches AHL/Junior hockey and gets most of their knowledge on a prospect from a paragraph blurb on eliteprospects,com (not accusing you of this)

Reactions: Sota Popinski

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've watched almost every Iowa game this year, and some towards the end of last year once they Boldy. As I said earlier, Duhaime, Kahkonen, Boldy, and Dewar have been promoted, with Addison, Shaw, and a couple of others getting looks. The AHL team looks...meh. Part of that was because covid, part injuries, part call ups. The goaltending was average at best, but MacIntyre looks ok. They have some decent forwards and forward play Giroux has been disappointing, but Swaney, Shaw, Rau, Rossi, Chaffee have all been good. I think that Beckman's skating has gotten better, he is a decent two way player, and is still a threat to shoot. Needs some strength...sticking him on a line with Mcleod and Sucese makes no sense to me.
Where Iowa falls down is on the D. Mermis is ok, Hicketts a decent PMD. Otherwise a lot of slow feet with bad gaps. Hunt, ROR, and FJO(?!) will be welcome additions. Surely Addison will have to be up next year?
Iowa is not a terrible team, and Des Moines is not a bad minor league city to play in. There are far worse.

Last edited:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No NHL franchise worth a pot of spit does their business any differently. Every fan thinks their guy should be promoted. I do think Guerin can be emotional but I also think we've seen that guys like Mike Reilly, Jimmy Vesey and Justin Schultz were not somehow worthy of special treatment. Nor is Jack McBain. By and large guys that spurn the teams that draft them largely turn into overrated flops at best, probably because they lack the "earn it" mentality literally every NHL franchise is looking for -- even at the cost of short-term results.
It's funny that you bring up Schultz as Edmonton mismanaged him and he did well in Pittsburgh afterwards. Adam Fox is another name that comes to mind. Mike Reilly has carved out a pretty decent career in the NHL.

More so, I think people are reading WAY too much into the 'guaranteed roster spot' than the fact that there are some questions if McBain is going to be called up or put in a position to succeed. The biggest red flag is how this organization has mismanaged Fiala and Sturm.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
I don't really care what his reasoning is. If McBain doesn't want to be here, then GTFO. Ship him out for the best available options in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad