Prospect Info: With the 3rd overall pick in the 2021 Entry Draft, the Ducks select Mason McTavish

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
A couple scouting reports mentioned he's got good acceleration but a short stride which affects his top speed. Something like this will be sorted by a skating coach with the Ducks in no time.
Similar to Rossi.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
It’s a down draft year. If you can get a good 2nd line center that plays with an edge, that’s not too bad.
I feel like 'not too bad' is a low bar - even if it's a down draft year when we're talking about 3rd overall. I hope McTavish turns out well obivously, I'm just really not sure at this stage - especially with someone like Eklund still on the board.

More kesler, or like heusy said a shooting Ryan O'Reilly
I'd certainly feel better about an O'Reilly compared to a Schenn, so that's something.

ReptilianQuack

Jan 17, 2019
Vancouver
In a draft with 3-12 being unknowns.
Im glad we took a hardworking, good size, center. And not, a smaller winger, or winger who doesnt work as hard.

In other words, I like this risk more.
Cause this draft was all a risk.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
A couple scouting reports mentioned he's got good acceleration but a short stride which affects his top speed. Something like this will be sorted by a skating coach with the Ducks in no time.

McTavish has been working with a skating coach since the 2019-20 season ended, along with an athletic's coach to build his body. If he didn't improve his skating, then he'd be a middle-to-late first round pick like Brennen Othmann. Skating is one of the many traits that McTavish greatly improved upon in 2021, as many scouts cited. Since his season was over (after WJC-18), he continues to work out with his skating and athletics coach today. Maybe the Ducks will let him continue being trained by his current trainers until he gets called to the rookie training camp.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
My thoughts:

I get it, I wanted Eklund but I get Murray logic. It was a f***ed up year and hard to scout anyone, McTavish is the closest player to Beniers style which is Murrays favorite (also the fact it is a great counter to Zegras). McTavish has a way better shot than Beniers has and plays a little more "angry" imo. Beniers has skating on him but I see why Murray wanted him, it's better go with a surefire NHL player with size, grit and ability than a smaller skilled player with scouting how it was last year. I will say this... If Eklund played in WJ he would have been gone in the top 3 probably before us. He fits well as a counter to Zegras and has size and skill something we obviously lack right now. The only physical player we really have right now is Jones and he has the IQ of a peanut. I don't consider Comtois very physical although he does go to dirty areas to score.

Congrats to @Hockey Duckie & @Dirk316

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad