Prospect Info: With the #24 pick, the Wild select (D) Filip Johansson (Allsvenskan, Leksands IF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Well I hope the kid lives up to his draft position. Maybe he'll turn into a solid all around 3D? I have no criticism of him as a player, simply because I have no clue who he is. Guessing he's a 4-5 year project before he sees much NHL time.

TommieNation

Feb 9, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
TBH the last defenseman we had that was like Braun was Scandella. If this kid can turn into a solid #4/5 guy who puts up 30-35pts and clears the crease while playing Brodinlite D that seems fine to me.
I don't think that is ideal for a first round pick. I am not going to wait until the offseason is over to see what the overall plan is. I think Fenton has a plan with some trades that he wants to do that could have this pick make more sense. Not worth getting upset over honestly

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Well I hope the kid lives up to his draft position. Maybe he'll turn into a solid all around 3D? I have no criticism of him as a player, simply because I have no clue who he is. Guessing he's a 4-5 year project before he sees much NHL time.

Yeah it'll be awesome to have a second pairing RD when Bokk and Tarasenko are scoring 6 goals a game.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
It's still a god ****ing awful pick.

This guy ACTUALLY better turn into Lidstrom. Not like Brodin who kinda played like Lidstrom and had some upside. This guy had better be the reincarnation of Niklas Lidstrom.

Terrible pick.

Weren't you done?
We get it...you hate it...

Reactions: Wild11MN

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
None of us know nothin but what other folks say - let's see what we got before burning the house down. RH dman is a need.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
TBH the last defenseman we had that was like Braun was Scandella. If this kid can turn into a solid #4/5 guy who puts up 30-35pts and clears the crease while playing Brodinlite D that seems fine to me.

30p-35p would give him Spurgeon point totals, not Scandella point totals.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is the most underwhelmed I’ve been by a 1st round pick since... We didn’t have one.

Had I known this is what we were going to do with #24 I would have gladly traded it for Pacioretty.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I mean, this isn’t a bad pick... with the Sabres’ first pick in Round 3

Wanted Veleno, Bokk or Wilde
Interestingly, two of those three are still available at pick #30. Sometimes guys fall for a reason.... and sometimes they fall for dumb reasons and teams get a steal late in the 1st :laugh: We'll know for sure in like 5 years.

Reactions: FVM

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
To put most of the blame on Fenton is unwarranted. It was stated over and over that they were going to use the plan that Flahr and Co designed once Fletcher left.

The fact that Fenton walked up knowing who was on the board and who Flahr wanted to take, and allowing it to happen, is more than enough reason to condemn him.
He might not have chosen the guy, but he's Flahr's boss, and if the entirety of EVERYONE can see how bad this pick is, Fenton should have been able to.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
To put most of the blame on Fenton is unwarranted. It was stated over and over that they were going to use the plan that Flahr and Co designed once Fletcher left.
Yeah, that's the other thing. For anyone that really and truly hates the pick, they can relish the process of gutting and replacing the scouting department.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
Well then, Flahr, that's not a good way to boost your resume when you're getting let go.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
30p-35p would give him Spurgeon point totals, not Scandella point totals.
Fair point. When I think of Braun I think of a player who doesn't excel in anyone one thing, but isn't horrible either. Spurgeon has the IQ and offensive upside, but is not a big body crease clearing type. Scandella is built to do just that, but lacked the IQ and upside of Spurgeon. If Johansson can take a little from all those qualities you get a Braun imo.

Reactions: WildFan1978

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Yeah it'll be awesome to have a second pairing RD when Bokk and Tarasenko are scoring 6 goals a game.

Bokk isn't even close a sure thing either, especially with Yeo coaching him. He has a lot of Vanek type traits (good and bad).

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Bokk isn't even close a sure thing either, especially with Yeo coaching him. He has a lot of Vanek type traits (good and bad).

I don't want a sure thing. I don't want the safe pick. The Wild don't need the safe pick. The Wild need the potential someone like Bokk or Veleno have.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
For those saying Fenton let Flahr run the draft, as Assistant GM for Nashville shouldn't Fenton still have some knowledge and notes on prospects coming into the draft?

Reactions: bran32shan

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Sounds like the high end potential on Veleno may not be what you hope.
Picks are a gamble...always have been...always will be.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Some of you guys are acting as if Fenton was Milbury and Leipold was the second coming of Ballard.
Certainly a pretty bad first impression. Better hope Fenton has an ace up his sleeve after that.

For those saying Fenton let Flahr run the draft, as Assistant GM for Nashville shouldn't Fenton still have some knowledge and notes on prospects coming into the draft?
Not only that, but even if you don't have notes, look at the rankings man. Ask why Johansson is ranked in the late 2nd or 3rd round and why we're taking him at 24. I mean, how do you let this happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad