Prospect Info: With the 2021 21st Pick the Bruins select Fabian Lysell

Spjutmuren

Aug 9, 2021
educated guess is that the Bruins bought out his contract (2 years remaining)
The norm, as far as I know, in SHL contracts is that they have a NHL clause. The players walk if they sign with a NHL team.

It is also common to sign these youngsters for longer than probable contracts, to make sure that the players is not borrowed to another SHL (or Allsvenskan) team if the NHL team prefers further development in Sweden.

The leagues have however agreed on a (symbolic) compensation for player development - being distributed between the teams the player represented the last three years

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The norm, as far as I know, in SHL contracts is that they have a NHL clause. The players walk if they sign with a NHL team.

It is also common to sign these youngsters for longer than probable contracts, to make sure that the players is not borrowed to another SHL (or Allsvenskan) team if the NHL team prefers further development in Sweden.

The leagues have however agreed on a (symbolic) compensation for player development - being distributed between the teams the player represented the last three years

Because the SHL falls under the IIHF umbrella, the NHL/IIHF agreement rules apply. Under that agreement, every European contract with a league under the IIHF umbrella has an automatic out clause to sign with the NHL. The player has to terminate his contract with that team prior to June 15th. This is what Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson did in hopes of getting back to North America.

Obviously, Lysell didn't know what was going on by June 15th and couldn't terminate his contract by that date, so the Bruins had to buy out the remainder of his contract. This is what they did with Carl Soderberg back in the day. At that point, the Swedish Ice Hockey Association and USA Hockey as well as the IIHF have to sign his transfer card. If one refuses, then the IIHF makes the final decision. The SIHA can refuse to sign the agreement and then the IIHF will settle the dispute. - Again, this is what happened in the Soderberg situation.

The NHL also has a transfer agreement with the SIHA which sets the fee for transfers. I don't have the numbers under their latest agreement, but under the last agreement, NHL clubs had to pay $250,000 transfer fee for the first 10 players signed from the SHL and it goes up from there for the next 11 through 20 and so on.

European players can negotiate individual NHL clauses in their contracts which would take precedent, but any report I've seen indicates this wasn't the case here.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
What's exciting is his ceiling is really high, and the things he has to improve on tend to come from guys willing to put in the work. This guy's effort level tells me he's willing to put in the work.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This is what I expected all along.

It's a good move. Should get a lot of playing time. Doesn't burn a year. Hopefully he gets back to dominating after being buried for a year.

Correct, the contract slides for a year. Little known fact: It could slide for two years if he goes to the AHL in 2022-2023 and doesn't play in 10 NHL games. So, they get 5 years out of a 3 year contract and the cap hit drops each year because signing bonuses are paid each year regardless of where he is playing.

But besides the business side of it, this is good for an 18 year old who is moving abroad. He'll get use to the customs and culture and food of North America while living with an excellent billet family while getting more accustomed to the NHL size rinks, travel and schedule. Too me it seemed like way too much to throw him in the AHL right away.

The Giants are a good organization. They have a very good coach in Michael Dyck, but more importantly, a very well respected and successful strength and conditioning coach in Jordan Mackenzie - something Lysell is going to need.

Dean Malkoc will be keeping close tabs on him and he and the Bruins will be very hands on. We'll see if it happens. Kirk's source is a very good one. But then again, camp hasn't even started and plans could change.

BruinsNetwork

Jan 8, 2021
I didn’t expect Lysell to be with the WHL for many reasons, but I like the move if that’s where he lands. He’s coming over from the SHL where most nights he fit in just fine with grown men, so I think he’ll torch his compatibles in the WHL.

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The graphics are so awful they totally destroy the guy's points, however on target they may be. Better to just listen to his words than try to figure out which of the many tiny players, amid distracting red dots and interrupting text boxes, is actually Lysell doing things.

This style video is kind of an outdated way to create video essays for lazy people or people who can't edit. The videogame graphics are just there to add some visual element and aren't really meant to be an addition to the essay. Shit's cracked. Curious if he's made a followup on Lysell after he fell so late to the B's

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is what I expected all along.

It's a good move. Should get a lot of playing time. Doesn't burn a year. Hopefully he gets back to dominating after being buried for a year.
I`ll offer my terribly biased, totally inaccurate, rose colored glasses assessment on his game when he visits Van Island to play our Royals starting on Opening night, Oct 2nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad