upload_2021-7-23_22-33-5.jpeg

Ranked #11 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING
Ranked #9 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM
Ranked #11 by FCHOCKEY
Ranked #15 by NEUTRAL ZONE
Ranked #14 by TSN/BOB McKENZIE
Ranked #10 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY
Ranked #30 by TSN/CRAIG BUTTON
Ranked #9 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (EU Skaters)
Ranked #13 by SPORTSNET
Ranked #8 by ISS HOCKEY
Ranked #6 by RECRUIT SCOUTING
Ranked #3 by DOBBERPROSPECTS
Ranked #8 by DRAFT PROSPECTS HOCKEY
Ranked #11 by SMAHT SCOUTING
Ranked #13 by THE PUCK AUTHORITY

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Swedish winger Fabian Lysell has spent most of the season in a bottom-line role for Lulea HF in the SHL. Playing against men, the 17-year-old put up just two goals and an assist for three points in 26 games this year. However, he has done a lot better playing against his own age group. In 11 games in the J20 league, Lysell scored three goals and 10 assists for 13 points. He is currently playing for Team Sweden in the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Lysell has put up three goals and four assists for seven points in five tournament games. He recently helped the Swedes upset the host American team in the quarterfinals of the tournament.

In 2019-20 he bounced around the Swedish junior leagues. In 11 games in the J20, he put up one goal and five assists for six points. He was incredible in the J18 league, putting up 18 goals and 22 assists for 40 points in 18 games. Lysell also played for Sweden in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge scoring five goals and two assists for seven points in five tournament games.

2021 NHL Draft #10: Fabian Lysell Scouting Report

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
The Athletic's Corey Pronman on Lysell:

21. Boston Bruins: Fabian Lysell, RW, Lulea-SHL

Jan. 19, 2003 | 5-foot-11 | 172 pounds

Scouting report: Lysell was up and down this season after a great underage season, moving from Frolunda to Lulea midseason where he didn’t play much but ended strong at the U18 worlds. Lysell is one of the more talented players in the draft, who beats defenders consistently with his puckhandling displays. That he’s a great skater, with both good speed and edgework and can make very skilled plays at full flight, makes him a handful to defend. On his best shift, Lysell is using his skill and speed to get around guys and take pucks to the net, or making tremendous plays with pace to his teammates. His physical effort comes and goes off the puck, but with the puck he plays with courage. In a sentence, Lysell projects as a second-line winger who has the talent to dominate an NHL shift but may frustrate observers too.

Thoughts on the pick: Lysell is one of the most dynamic forwards in the draft, an element sorely missing in the Bruins’ system in terms of high-end speed and skill. He has warts as a smaller winger who is inconsistent, but in the 20s he’s a great gamble.​

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
Lysell was the best player available when averaging the 5 "reputable" rankings that I could find (TSN, McKeens, ISS, FC, THN). He was 13th with an average ranking of 14.0

13. Fabian Lysell (RW)-14.0
15. Corson Ceulemans (D)-18.2
17. Aatu Raty (C)-18.8
18. Nikita Chibrikov (RW)-19.2
21. Carson Lambos (D)-22.2
22. Xavier Bourgault (RW)-22.8
25. Simon Robertsson (RW)-26.4
26. Francesco Pinelli (C)-27.4
27. Logan Stankoven (C)-28.4
28. Mack Samoskevich (C)-28.6
29. Zachary L’Heureux (C)-29.0
30. Samu Tuomaala (RW)-29.4

He was also ranked 11th overall when factoring in EVERY list: We looked at 15 sources to come up with EOTP’s Consensus NHL Draft Rankings

I can't be mad at Sweeney because I said he should do this, even though I personally would've picked Raty due to position. Time will tell if he's a good player or not, but good job, Don! It's about time you just made your list by averaging out the rankings from the "reputable" lists.

In weak drafts you are supposed to gamble on talented players with concerns whether it be character (Lysell) or size (DeBrincat). The Bruins just did that. It's about damn time. Well done!

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm not concerned about his size. Pasta was 5-10, 165 when he was drafted. 6 years later, he's listed at 6', 194.

Skills are there. Dynamic skater. His lateral shifty-ness is super impressive.

I also don't care if he's a punk. In fact, i hope he is.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
The Athletic's Corey Pronman on Lysell:

21. Boston Bruins: Fabian Lysell, RW, Lulea-SHL

Jan. 19, 2003 | 5-foot-11 | 172 pounds

Scouting report: Lysell was up and down this season after a great underage season, moving from Frolunda to Lulea midseason where he didn’t play much but ended strong at the U18 worlds. Lysell is one of the more talented players in the draft, who beats defenders consistently with his puckhandling displays. That he’s a great skater, with both good speed and edgework and can make very skilled plays at full flight, makes him a handful to defend. On his best shift, Lysell is using his skill and speed to get around guys and take pucks to the net, or making tremendous plays with pace to his teammates. His physical effort comes and goes off the puck, but with the puck he plays with courage. In a sentence, Lysell projects as a second-line winger who has the talent to dominate an NHL shift but may frustrate observers too.

Thoughts on the pick: Lysell is one of the most dynamic forwards in the draft, an element sorely missing in the Bruins’ system in terms of high-end speed and skill. He has warts as a smaller winger who is inconsistent, but in the 20s he’s a great gamble.​

It feels like Pasta gift all over again

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Chris Peters on Lysell:

21. Boston Bruins: Fabian Lysell, RW, Luleå

Hockey Sense Rank:
No. 12; Full Report

Player summary:
A dynamic speedster who burns in transition, I love the value the Bruins are getting here. I had been hearing Lysell would slip a bit because teams were a bit worried about his shift-to-shift competitiveness and toughness, but he’s still young and a bit on the smaller size. It’s very rare to find a player with his combination of speed and skill in this particular draft class, however. He’s been one of my favorites in the class and I think he’s at the very beginning of a development arc that should head north rapidly. He’ll need to get stronger and bear down on the work ethic on the ice a bit, but it’s hard to teach his transitional play.

Team fit:
The Bruins’ core is getting older and they’re going to need a new top six a little further down the line. I would put Lysell at the very top of their prospect pool right now. That’s not a high bar to clear, but he’s a special talent that could pay dividends 2-3 years down the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00