With the 1st overall pick ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

floridada

Jan 31, 2009
Florida
Terry Koshan @koshtorontosun

Asked six scouts at the #NHL combine today who they would take first overall if it was their choice. Every one said Aaron Ekblad

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
@koshtorontosun: Asked six scouts at the #NHL combine today who they would take first overall if it was their choice. Every one said Aaron Ekblad

Edit: Nice timing

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Nothing has changed my opinion over the last month.

I still strongly believe that Ekblad is the player we should select this year. That tweet just further proves my point.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
There is a dedicated thread for people to play fantasy GM in, so please don't litter this thread with your trade offers.

Just a warning that I'll be handing out infractions for thread hijacking on future trade offers. Rumors are fine, though, as long as they're relevant to the #1 overall pick and a legitimate source is cited.

And no, saying "I'd like if they'd swing a deal with the pick for..." doesn't count as a trade offer. But I would expect people can exercise enough common sense to get my point on this one.:teach2:

Thank you.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Nothing has changed my opinion over the last month.

I still strongly believe that Ekblad is the player we should select this year. That tweet just further proves my point.

The increasing consensus of what was already being said, that's he's the #1 prospect in the draft, and the fact he's a pretty much NHL-ready defenseman and that's one of the Panthers' two biggest needs at the moment (the other being a top flight sniper) suggests there's little chance Tallon doesn't take him if he keeps the pick.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
The increasing consensus of what was already being said, that's he's the #1 prospect in the draft, and the fact he's a pretty much NHL-ready defenseman and that's one of the Panthers' two biggest needs at the moment (the other being a top flight sniper) suggests there's little chance Tallon doesn't take him if he keeps the pick.

IMO only Ekblad, Dal Colle and possibly Drasaitl are NHL ready out of the top 10 picks. And even Ekblad and Drasaitl are pushing it.

CoolburnIsGone

IMO only Ekblad, Dal Colle and possibly Drasaitl are NHL ready out of the top 10 picks. And even Ekblad and Drasaitl are pushing it.
:huh: I havent heard/read anyone say Dal Colle is NHL ready out of the top 10 picks. If anything most have said he's still got a ways to go with adding mass to his frame before he's ready for the NHL. The only other guy that I've read besides Ekblad & Draisaitl thats possibly ready is Reinhart and I think thats still debatable.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I thought Reinhart would be ready. And why is Dal Colle more ready?

Dol Colle has a bigger frame and body for the NHL game than Bennett and Reinhart do, he can obviously add more weight but he does not have the thin body even though he weighs the same. He also doesnt have skating issues and doesn't really have much to improve or learn from juniors except maybe defensive coverage and consistency. But with his shot and body frame he should be good to go next year.

On the other prospects, Bennett is very strong (regardless of the chin up competition) but is not strong enough for the NHL he is better suited going back just like Huberdeau. Reinhart is interesting as I believe the Sabres scout said he can use more weight and would probably need to go back to junior.. He plays a smart pro game but again weight is an issue this year, he is also not very fast needs to improve his skating. While Barkov is not fast he has a large body and height to make up for it and protect the puck. Reinhart does not. Ekblad has the man body to step in, but it seems like he may need to improve his consistency according to many plus he is a defenseman the more time in juniors for those guys the better. Drasaitl needs to improve in all areas but if he goes to the Oil he'll probably be forced to step in.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Coming in peace.

Question 1: Have you read the article on Bennet being ranked #1 by scouts? (It's on TSN.)
Question 2: If yes, what do you think the chances are of them being right and Florida drafting Bennet? (Article suggests that Florida may do as such)
Question 3: Are we being trolled by TSN?

For me, it would flat out make no sense if this happened.

Ekblad has to be the one guy highest in demand at this draft because he's easily the d-man you'd take first, while there are 3 centres who are coveted.

If for whatever reason Florida doesn't want Ekblad, they'd surely make a trade to move down to 3rd or 4th. Do you think that's exactly what TSN is hinting at when they suggest that Florida is aiming at drafting Bennet?

There's no way you can convince me that Buffalo would take Ekblad, but they've got no need to spend assets to trade up because they know a center will be available at #2.

*universe implodes*

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i wouldnt be surprised if we took anyone in the top-3. bennett is my guy personally. i still think we take ekblad 1st though. reinhart a veryyyy close 2nd, wouldnt be surprised if we took him 1st at all, especially with his ability to play on RW.
50% ekblad
30% reinhart
20% bennett
those are my totally personal, made up predictions on who we'd likely take.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Sharks fan here. Its a long offseason and I'm trying to fill the time. :)

How would Thornton (15% retained), Jason Demers, and a 2nd be for the 1st overall?

You're getting a 1C (who also happens to be buddies with Campbell and Luo) and a young but experienced top 4 RHD.

Is this close or no where near?

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014

How would Thornton (15% retained), Jason Demers, and a 2nd be for the 1st overall?

You're getting a 1C (who also happens to be buddies with Campbell and Luo) and a young but experienced top 4 RHD.

This is very close. I'd pull the trigger.

velodim

Aug 17, 2009
Hollywood,FL
So, what do you think about the trade everyone is talking about?

Toronto Trades:
Dion Phanuef
Nazem kadri
8th Overall

Florida Trades:

1st overall
Ed Jovanovski

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012

Toronto Trades:
Dion Phanuef
Nazem kadri
8th Overall

Florida Trades:

1st overall
Ed Jovanovski

florida takes that and run

then trade away fa9 and kadri for scraps

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL

Not close for me.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Toronto Trades:
Dion Phanuef
Nazem kadri
8th Overall

Florida Trades:

1st overall
Ed Jovanovski
I don't understand why Jovo is involved in that talk.

Firstly, we're supposed to have a super-rich owner that's willing to spend right up to the cap. Even if you add in the the salaries Phaneuf and Kadri earn, plus a 4-6M per UFA signing or two, the team would still be nowhere near the ceiling, with or without Jovo's salary.

Secondly, why the hell would Toronto take on Jovo, aka. Mr. terrible bottom pairing d-man / popcorn eater, especially when they're giving up that much?

Jovo is either getting bought out to grant him that final chance at the cup (for peanuts), or he's going to finish his career as a Panther like he talked about (referring to the event Smyth received in Edmonton) after the season. While Jovo is horribly overpaid and more of a hazard than an asset on the ice, the team isn't just going to kick him to the curb after all the hard work he's given to this team. That's a thing Tallon will IMO (unless he already has) discuss with Jovo and decide what's best for next year.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Coming in peace.

Question 1: Have you read the article on Bennet being ranked #1 by scouts? (It's on TSN.)
Question 2: If yes, what do you think the chances are of them being right and Florida drafting Bennet? (Article suggests that Florida may do as such)
Question 3: Are we being trolled by TSN?

For me, it would flat out make no sense if this happened.

Ekblad has to be the one guy highest in demand at this draft because he's easily the d-man you'd take first, while there are 3 centres who are coveted.

If for whatever reason Florida doesn't want Ekblad, they'd surely make a trade to move down to 3rd or 4th. Do you think that's exactly what TSN is hinting at when they suggest that Florida is aiming at drafting Bennet?

There's no way you can convince me that Buffalo would take Ekblad, but they've got no need to spend assets to trade up because they know a center will be available at #2.

*universe implodes*

Bennett can play wing, and that's a pressing need for Florida, I'd be surprised but not shocked if they took him, Ekblad's not head and shoulders above anyone. What would be surprising about drafting him first exactly?

florida takes that and run

then trade away fa9 and kadri for scraps

Why is Kadri worth scraps? He's had a 20 goal season, and 2013 would have been 30 if not for the lockout, and he's 23. He's also played with generally mediocre teammates. He has a lot of value.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Bennett can play wing, and that's a pressing need for Florida, I'd be surprised but not shocked if they took him, Ekblad's not head and shoulders above anyone. What would be surprising about drafting him first exactly?

I'll admit that I don't know a helluva a lot about your organization...but I know that Kulikov's development curve has levelled off a little sooner than you guys hoped and since then it's had me under the impression that you guys are more in need of a d-man.

Not just that.

Ekblad has the size that gets everyone's attention and he isn't sluggish. He's more NHL ready than the rest of the top 3 ranked guys.

Bennet gets away with being a chippy player for his size, but I don't see him managing to play that style of hockey in the NHL for at least a few years.

I really think that article is a joke. If Edmonton drafts either of Ekblad, Reinhart or Bennet I'll be happy knowing that we've got a bluechip prospect in the bank... but if I'm a Panthers fan or and Oilers fan and Ekblad is available when we got to the podium and we don't trade down and don't take him, I'll loose my ****.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I don't understand why Jovo is involved in that talk.

Firstly, we're supposed to have a super-rich owner that's willing to spend right up to the cap. Even if you add in the the salaries Phaneuf and Kadri earn, plus a 4-6M per UFA signing or two, the team would still be nowhere near the ceiling, with or without Jovo's salary.

Secondly, why the hell would Toronto take on Jovo, aka. Mr. terrible bottom pairing d-man / popcorn eater, especially when they're giving up that much?

Jovo is either getting bought out to grant him that final chance at the cup (for peanuts), or he's going to finish his career as a Panther like he talked about (referring to the event Smyth received in Edmonton) after the season. While Jovo is horribly overpaid and more of a hazard than an asset on the ice, the team isn't just going to kick him to the curb after all the hard work he's given to this team. That's a thing Tallon will IMO (unless he already has) discuss with Jovo and decide what's best for next year.

I think your first point and second point are mildly contradictory. Jovo is useless. If Florida could move him, he doesn't have to play for this team. Furthermore, just because ownership has money doesn't mean they necessarily want to piss it away. If Tallon is allowed to spend to the cap, don't you think cap issues are something to be concerned about? Tallon has a history of said issues with Chicago. It isn't just about Florida being nowhere near the salary cap. You have to remember, money is still money and being frugal is not the same thing as being cheap. There's a certain level of wisdom with clearing your debts before they become a problem.

Why is Kadri worth scraps? He's had a 20 goal season, and 2013 would have been 30 if not for the lockout, and he's 23. He's also played with generally mediocre teammates. He has a lot of value.

I don't think "scraps" is a fair word at all. However, trading Kadri in such an event is possible considering he's a center. Although, I don't know if he can play wing. But... given that Florida is likely going with Barkov/Bjugstad for the top two lines and has a plethora of young potential centermen who can play in top-6 roles and might be stuck on the third line anyways... there's simply no room for another center and Florida is better off moving his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad