Prospect Info: With the 163rd Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Simon Kjellberg

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
This is an American Kid, playing in Sweden for Rogel, Jr. ?

Is that common nowadays?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Selected in the USHL draft. I wonder if he's thinking of attending college following a year in the USHL. He was born in the USA.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This might be the worst pick of this draft, don't know.
According to an above comment, he has size, that you can't teach.
But he needs footwork, it was added.
And as to the rest of actual hockey ability?
who knows...

if someone does, we'll all do the Frasier Crane thing and listen

Reactions: Gardner McKay

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
who knows...

Rarely, if ever, is the worst pick in the draft #163. The odds of any player drafted outside of the top 150 even sniffing the NHL is pretty remote.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kjell Samuelsson comparable?
Even if so, that’s not really the same direction in which the league is going...

darko

Feb 16, 2009
who knows...

You must've seen him play a bunch of times to make that call.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rarely, if ever, is the worst pick in the draft #163. The odds of any player drafted outside of the top 150 even sniffing the NHL is pretty remote.

Thank you. I know nothing about this kid but let’s not start this “worst pick ever” thing with #163.

You must've seen him play a bunch of times to make that call.

I misspoke and stand corrected.
What I meant is not that he might not be the worst pick in the draft, but that this was perhaps the worst use of a pick by us in this draft, assuming Allaire knows something about the goalie we took in the 2nd that is below the radar.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Detective, would you please look at his name and background.

Are you literally 13 years old?
All I ever read from you are one-way matter-of-fact opinions, or insults and attacks.

HFB is an, "eh-hem"... *discussion* board. That means questions asked, and topics discussed.
If everyone here, were know-it-all's like yourself, there would be no need for the forum and this place would be a ghost town.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I misspoke and stand corrected.
What I meant is not that he might not be the worst pick in the draft, but that this was perhaps the worst use of a pick by us in this draft, assuming Allaire knows something about the goalie we took in the 2nd that is below the radar.

But why? Based on what? We don’t know how hard the team scouted him. I highly doubt this was some charity pick.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
My hot take on this kid is I haven't seen him play, so I have no clue what to think.

A bunch of the talent evaluators I trust didn't even have him on their radar, which is concerning. But the Rangers clearly have seen him play, with his father being a scout.

But hopefully this isn't a "let's throw our scout a bone here" situation

It’s not. That’s not how this team has operated over the last decade. Last time that happened was when we picked Darin Olver.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I've seen him play probably 20-30 times over the last two years. Surprised he got drafted. He's a decent defender, pretty smart positionally and has a good first pass. But that's about it. Super long-shot of a pick. If his skating wasn't so ugly I could see some potential in him since he has solid hockey IQ but with no real offensive ability, subpar skating combined with the fact that he is very soft and doesn't use his size at all I don't really get it.

I had some hopes for him after the 16/17 season where he looked solid as a 'rookie' in J20 SuperElit, but he just didn't progress at all from last year to this year, at least not in the first half of the season. I didn't see him down the stretch. I guess if he figures out his skating there is a slim chance he could be a bottom-pair D in the NHL.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I've seen him play probably 20-30 times over the last two years. Surprised he got drafted. He's a decent defender, pretty smart positionally and has a good first pass. But that's about it. Super long-shot of a pick. If his skating wasn't so ugly I could see some potential in him since he has solid hockey IQ but with no real offensive ability, subpar skating combined with the fact that he is very soft and doesn't use his size at all I don't really get it.

I had some hopes for him after the 16/17 season where he looked solid as a 'rookie' in J20 SuperElit, but he just didn't progress at all from last year to this year, at least not in the first half of the season. I didn't see him down the stretch. I guess if he figures out his skating there is a slim chance he could be a bottom-pair D in the NHL.
Thanks for the report, even if it's not exactly glowing. :)

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Talked to a scout i know, says Kjellberg is pretty much a non prospect, he's probably going the USHL > NCAA route

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad