Prospect Info: With the 163rd Overall Pick the New York Rangers Select Simon Kjellberg

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Yep. A professional organization poised for a franchise altering rebuild decides to draft a scout's kid as a favor. Totally plausible. :rolleyes:

so why bother drafting him? when you can sign him as an invite to a contract if you like him so much? This was a total waste of a pick. He wasn't even a ranked prospect.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
4 games, 0 points, +3, 3 SOG.

I'm not here to do the conspiracy shit, I just genuinely want to know if anyone has learned anything about Kjellberg, The Guy With No Scouting Reports. Any idea yet what he's supposed to play like?

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
While I think the Rangers did great in the 1st round this year, this pick, along with the Lindbom pick, give me some serious pause. Hard not to consider the fact that the same folks weighed in on all of these picks. Scary to think about the long term repercussions of wasted draft capital.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
While I think the Rangers did great in the 1st round this year, this pick, along with the Lindbom pick, give me some serious pause. Hard not to consider the fact that the same folks weighed in on all of these picks. Scary to think about the long term repercussions of wasted draft capital.
Still early to call, but it happens with every team

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
Still early to call, but it happens with every team
I know this is a bit cliche but it doesn’t make it any less true - create a process that breeds more success than failure with drafting. Then follow the process. What was our process with this pick? His father’s scouting report? We seem to like to take big swings in the later rounds. This is not that, it is a check bunt... if the ceiling is low and he could have been had on tryout contract then what was the point of drafting him?

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I know this is a bit cliche but it doesn’t make it any less true - create a process that breeds more success than failure with drafting. Then follow the process. What was our process with this pick? His father’s scouting report? We seem to like to take big swings in the later rounds. This is not that, it is a check bunt... if the ceiling is low and he could have been had on tryout contract then what was the point of drafting him?
When teams talk about drafting someone with familial ties to a scout/front office member, that person generally leaves the room for the discussion because of that inherent bias. They do tend to take upside swings in the later rounds, but they also take swings on big defensive defensemen. It’s not out of the question that they think they see something in the kid and it’s not out of the question they’re wrong for that

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
4 games, 0 points, +3, 3 SOG.

I'm not here to do the conspiracy ****, I just genuinely want to know if anyone has learned anything about Kjellberg, The Guy With No Scouting Reports. Any idea yet what he's supposed to play like?

He is big and skates well, isn’t a stiff of any sort, according to what I have heard and read and whatnot.

We have made bad picks and this could be another one. We haven’t really hit it off with Swedish picks, Sjallin and co. Nothing sailing out of the ball park.

But I still think it’s one of those situations that you just must lean back at and wait.

My bet is that they watched him play and thought he was really solid, for playing juniors in Sweden. Then they tested him and he had excellent results. Great shape, great on his skates etc. He checks the boxes I think for what is likely to find in later rounds, someone that can skate and defend and move the puck a bit. They must have thought that he had perfect attitude.

I personally would definitely have liked to see us pick more Russians in later rounds. With the defective status you never lose their rights. Most of them want to come over.

But if Kjellberg can get into the NCAA and do well there, it’s a good program. Could become a good player.

Reactions: egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
One thing though, Simon played tournaments for the U16 and U17 Swedish National teams. They use maybe 10 Ds in a season. Sometimes it sounds like he was a completely out of nowhere pick. Looking at those national teams he was on they had Rasmus’s Dahlin and Sandin, Boqvist, Gynning, Nils Lundqvist and so forth. Sure it’s no proof of much that you played — some, not much at all — for U16 and U17 national teams. But it’s certainly takes a lot to even get to dip your feets at that level. Only the top 10 Ds or so in Sweden get to do it every year. My point is just that he has been up there with the top talents for a while and isn’t completely coming out of nowhere.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
One thing though, Simon played tournaments for the U16 and U17 Swedish National teams. They use maybe 10 Ds in a season. Sometimes it sounds like he was a completely out of nowhere pick. Looking at those national teams he was on they had Rasmus’s Dahlin and Sandin, Boqvist, Gynning, Nils Lundqvist and so forth. Sure it’s no proof of much that you played — some, not much at all — for U16 and U17 national teams. But it’s certainly takes a lot to even get to dip your feets at that level. Only the top 10 Ds or so in Sweden get to do it every year. My point is just that he has been up there with the top talents for a while and isn’t completely coming out of nowhere.

I don't know much about Kjellberg, but he played a full season in SuperElit at age 17. It's a weird pick as we went with someone who was not ranked, but at the same time you see players who were ranked in the 2nd and 3rd round to go undrafted. Nando Eggenberger is an example. It works both ways. And we used a 6th round pick on Kjellberg. At that stage you could let blind people make your picks and have a higher success rate than actual scouts. That's how slim the chances are of getting a solid player

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I too would like to complain about a 6th round pick no one has any idea on for no reason.
The fact that no one knows much of anything about him is why I bumped the thread. I wanted to see if that had changed.

That so little is known about him is also the cause for much of the criticism. How often do we draft a guy without a single scouting report available? But I digress. We've gone down that path many times. I really just wanted to know what his game is like so as to have an idea what to expect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad