Prospect Info: With the 139th overall pick in the 2022 draft, the Ducks select Connor Hvidston

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Would be a 1st / 2nd round choice this year had he born few days later. Big fan, but obviously will need some years to develop.

Reactions: Masch78

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Really good season for a player that has always been regarded as a good defensive player. Among the top scorers on his team (PPG) among their top 3 is pretty equal. But he stands out there with his much better +/- than the other top scorers (total 3rd on the team on +/-, was co-leading it 1 before last nights game).

And all that for a very unfilled frame and a guy that was barely eligible last year (a few days later would have to be picked in 2023).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Really good season for a player that has always been regarded as a good defensive player. Among the top scorers on his team (PPG) among their top 3 is pretty equal. But he stands out there with his much better +/- than the other top scorers (total 3rd on the team on +/-, was co-leading it 1 before last nights game).

And all that for a very unfilled frame and a guy that was barely eligible last year (a few days later would have to be picked in 2023).

The way we were drafting forwards in the 2022 draft, Hvidston was the first gamble swing. Gaucher was a safe pick and King was a double overager who produces, a more known product. Hvidston reminds me a bit of Hinds, both known for their defense (Hvidston being a forward and Hinds a d-man) and little flashes of offense.

Gaucher and Hvidston bring defensive grit. Long term, this can potentially help support the top-6 by being shutdown types in the future in the bottom-6.

Hvidston being a Sept baby who could have been in the 2023 draft means there could be even more to his game and physique next season. Hvidston's offense in his 2nd year in the CHL is scoring higher that Gaucher's 2nd and 3rd (current) season in the CHL, granted Hvidston is from the WHL and Gaucher in the Q. I'm excited to see what he can do next season!

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
The way we were drafting forwards in the 2022 draft, Hvidston was the first gamble swing. Gaucher was a safe pick and King was a double overager who produces, a more known product. Hvidston reminds me a bit of Hinds, both known for their defense (Hvidston being a forward and Hinds a d-man) and little flashes of offense.

Gaucher and Hvidston bring defensive grit. Long term, this can potentially help support the top-6 by being shutdown types in the future in the bottom-6.

Hvidston being a Sept baby who could have been in the 2023 draft means there could be even more to his game and physique next season. Hvidston's offense in his 2nd year in the CHL is scoring higher that Gaucher's 2nd and 3rd (current) season in the CHL, granted Hvidston is from the WHL and Gaucher in the Q. I'm excited to see what he can do next season!
Yeah, a bit of Hinds vibe. Although to me he's the Terry – 5th round, almost same date bday Hvidston even 1 day younger, ha), very unfilled frame, smart player, good hands.

Hvidston probably have less offensive potential (it's still good tho) and less ice in his veins (Terry WJC shootout and the occasional 1 vs 3 are spectacular), but has a larger frame to fill out and can drop the gloves, lol.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Another 3 points tonight. Including another shorthanded goal. 16 points in his last 10 games. He's found another gear over the last month or so.

It could mean that he's probably putting more mass to his body for added strength for that extra gear as he's getting older, going from a 17-year old to an 18-year old. Plus, it's his second season in the dub and the team makes it easier for him to execute without thinking too much now. If he keeps adding mass and strength over the summer, then he'll be even more of a joy to watch next year!

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Another 3 points tonight. Including another shorthanded goal. 16 points in his last 10 games. He's found another gear over the last month or so.

jeniferlewis-faints.gif

Also, now back co-leading his team in +/-. He might be leading the team in PPG as well but the top3 is really close anyway. Thing that stands out - from top scorers he has the much better +/-.

Reactions: lwvs84

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Is there a reason why this thread keeps getting bumped? I get there are people that like the kid and he's doing well, but it doesn't seem realistic to think he has much of a chance to play in the NHL at this point.

Why not stick this to the prospect thread?

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Is there a reason why this thread keeps getting bumped? I get there are people that like the kid and he's doing well, but it doesn't seem realistic to think he has much of a chance to play in the NHL at this point.

There's a Hvidston fan that isn't a Ducks' fan. That fan just wants to share only about Hvidston and it can be lost in the prospect page. Also, if you do a search function, Hvidston does have his own thread.

It doesn't bother me and I like getting a little more info that his fan shares

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

I think you're underrating him quite a bit, but there's a long way to go. I would have agreed with you at the outset of this season, but he's made significant progress especially for his age.

Reactions: Kalv

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I think you're underrating him quite a bit, but there's a long way to go. I would have agreed with you at the outset of this season, but he's made significant progress especially for his age.
In what way do you think I'm undereating him?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He's still got another year of Jr after this right?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
In what way do you think I'm undereating him?
That sounds personal. But really, I think saying he doesn't have much of a chance to play in the NHL is underrating him. He's tracking really nicely.

He's still got another year of Jr after this right?
Yeah, he will be too young for the AHL

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
That sounds personal. But really, I think saying he doesn't have much of a chance to play in the NHL is underrating him. He's tracking really nicely.

Yeah, he will be too young for the AHL
That sounds defensive. All I'm trying to understand is what is so different about his progress than any of our other prospects.

It all seems negligible at this point, so why keep bumping this thread? Most of our prospects are "tracking nicely."

I guess I just fail to see why he's so special.

Don't get me wrong. I hope "he's the next ROR." I just don't understand why anyone has any lofty expectations about a 5th round pick from 2 years ago at this point.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
That sounds defensive. All I'm trying to understand is what is so different about his progress than any of our other prospects.

It all seems negligible at this point, so why keep bumping this thread? Most of our prospects are "tracking nicely."

I guess I just fail to see why he's so special.

Don't get me wrong. I hope "he's the next ROR." I just don't understand why anyone has any lofty expectations about a 5th round pick from 2 years ago at this point.
I think I am grossly misunderstanding this conversation. All I mean is that his progress from his draft year (he was drafted in 2022) has greatly raised his stock, so much so that if he were born four days later I think he'd be a second round pick in this draft.

Nobody is placing any lofty expectations beyond being comfortable saying he's outplayed his draft position and he's a legitimate prospect in our system at this point.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
I think I am grossly misunderstanding this conversation. All I mean is that his progress from his draft year (he was drafted in 2022) has greatly raised his stock, so much so that if he were born four days later I think he'd be a second round pick in this draft.

Nobody is placing any lofty expectations beyond being comfortable saying he's outplayed his draft position and he's a legitimate prospect in our system at this point.
Fair enough. I appreciate your explanation.

Reactions: Kalv and Static

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Connor has truly transformed himself into a legitimate NHL prospect, which is something nobody (himself included) would have thought at the beginning of last season.

Getting invited to U18's at the end of last season and going to an NHL training camp has opened his eyes to how good he can be. He wants to be a professional hockey player now. Before it was just about playing in the WHL for a couple seasons and having a good time. That has now changed into wanting to do this for a career.

His demeanour has completely changed from last season, where he was a shy kid who didn't say much. Now he's driven and motivated to get better every day. He's a great example of someone having a "light bulb" moment and changing for the better.

If he was born five days later I wonder how highly rated he would be for the 2023 Draft, if he was playing the way he is now. He's arguably the Broncos Team MVP this season and will only keep getting better as he gets older and more experienced!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad