Prospect Info: With the 139th overall pick in the 2022 draft, the Ducks select Connor Hvidston

ShadowDuck

Captain Anaheim
May 19, 2011
Boston, MA
As one of the youngest players in this draft at 17 years old, it’s no surprise that he’s not ranked by a lot of outlets right now. However, that doesn’t mean he should be looked over as a possible late-round pick. In fact, he should be selected based on his defensive game alone. On a bad team in Swift Current, scouts were impressed with his ability to carry the load in his own zone when the rest of his squad seemed to forget the word “defense”. His offensive game is still a work in progress, but based on the video I saw, his shot and hands around the net could potentially be translated to the pro level at some point. However, it’s difficult to judge based on just one season in the WHL. As such, it’s going to be interesting to see how much he progresses in the coming seasons as he doesn’t turn 18 until mid-September.

Connor Hvidston – NHL Draft Projection

As I mentioned at the outset, Hvidston is not highly thought of in the prospect community right now. However, considering his polished defensive game, he could get some love in the fourth or fifth round. Peter and I have him going later in the fourth at 125th and 111th respectively, so we will see if an NHL…

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Easy to follow the thought process here. Seems to be hard working, smart player and at 6'2 165 lbs, little doubt that he has a ton of physical growth left. Not to be that guy, but at the same age the profile isn't far off from Troy Terry's. They are the type of profile that can change the most over the course of 5-6 years of development.

Reactions: Kalv and Static

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
Based on what I've seen and read, sounds like he's going to be like Sammy Pahlsson type.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Based on what I've seen and read, sounds like he's going to be like ZAR with a little more offensive upside which is a solid pick/career for a 5th rounder.
I think the upside might be higher than that. If this kid is put in a more offensive role I wonder if he pops. Solid swing.

Reactions: Kalv

TheStuntman

Oct 27, 2015
I think the upside might be higher than that. If this kid is put in a more offensive role I wonder if he pops. Solid swing.
I changed my post after finding out he's a center. Either way I love this pick for a 5th rounder. The best pick after Minty.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Decent pick, he has lots to fill out. Sounds like he is very good off-puck and does a lot of dirty work. Could become an important role player down the road

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I like this pick a lot for a late rounder. Ideally you want guys in the later rounds who have a specialty and this guy seems to be very good two-way forward. Maybe he can become a reliable defensive forward on NHL level.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
He and Tschigerl seem to be back to back good picks in the 5th round. Both of them seem to have a game that could translate upwards well. Hvidston has very much impressed so far.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
He and Tschigerl seem to be back to back good picks in the 5th round. Both of them seem to have a game that could translate upwards well. Hvidston has very much impressed so far.
We got lucky that Hvidston was/is underdevelopped physically and had a meh season production wise last year. He is also almost eligible for the 2023 draft how young he is. To me that looks like Terry pick all over again.

Hard to tell what the impact will he of him, but I see a top9 NHL player. It will take some years for him to come up on his own and remains to be seen how good he really can be

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Bumping this with an update for you all.

Now up to 34 points (10-24-34) in 33 games. New career high in points in 25 fewer games. His two-way play is outstanding. Consistently matched up with other team's top line every night. His maturity is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was last year. Really impressed with what I've seen this season.

Very early in the year he dropped the gloves to defend a teammate, and I could not believe how badly he beat the wheels off this kid. Connor Hvidston vs. Brayden Barnett, October 08, 2022 - Swift Current Broncos vs. Regina Pats

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Bumping this with an update for you all.

Now up to 34 points (10-24-34) in 33 games. New career high in points in 25 fewer games. His two-way play is outstanding. Consistently matched up with other team's top line every night. His maturity is leaps and bounds ahead of where it was last year. Really impressed with what I've seen this season.

Very early in the year he dropped the gloves to defend a teammate, and I could not believe how badly he beat the wheels off this kid. Connor Hvidston vs. Brayden Barnett, October 08, 2022 - Swift Current Broncos vs. Regina Pats
I have strong ROR and Bergeron vibes with him.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad