With Petry Locked Up, Who Will Habs Ship Out

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
And in that scenario he's hitting UFA in 2 seasons' time and could well be making 11 million on a long term deal.

Would save in the short term, and likely the opposite in the long term.

At the end of the day, paying a franchise calibre d-man 9 million a year from the age of 25-33 isn't the terrible scenario people make it out to be, no matter how hard they try to argue otherwise.

The money we'd be saving NOW and in the next two years would've been vital. This is our window, not 2020.

The money was spent on Briere/PAP and extending DD. So it's not like we even fell ahead.

HabsDieHard*

It is well documented he wanted a deal with term for less than Doughty money. As stated by Subban, and his agent.

As for "UFA years" our cup.window is right now, not in 2020. You're also assuming that Subban would leave immediately at the end of his contract.

Lol, I'm not assuming anything. I'm curious how many UFA years a 6 year deal would have bought.

If you want to believe the public posturing done by PK and his agent, all the power to you dude. As for him wanting less term...can you think of any possibility why that might have been the case? Just a selfless move by a selfless guy?

I guess in that scenario you also believe that it was petty spite that saw him demand to be the d-man with the highest cap hit in the NHL after his 2 year bridge deal right?

HabsDieHard*

The money we'd be saving NOW and in the next two years would've been vital. This is our window, not 2020.

The money was spent on Briere/PAP and extending DD.
So it's not like we even fell ahead.

Indeed, so it's also not like the 9 million cap hit for Subban is the issue for this team anyways.

And I fully agree that this is the Habs' window, all I'm saying is that having a star d-man locked up from 25-33 is a positive, regardless of the methodology that resulted in it happening.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Lol, I'm not assuming anything. I'm curious how many UFA years a 6 year deal would have bought.

If you want to believe the public posturing done by PK and his agent, all the power to you dude. As for him wanting less term...can you think of any possibility why that might have been the case? Just a selfless move by a selfless guy?

I guess in that scenario you also believe that it was petty spite that saw him demand to be the d-man with the highest cap hit in the NHL after his 2 year bridge deal right?

A lot of star players around the league take five or six year deals after ELC. It is the norm with which star players are treated. From Taylor Hall to Erik Karlsson and on and on.

He got to be the highest paid dman in the NHL because seven of the nine contract years are UFA years. No top-3 dman in the NHL has signed that recently.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Okay folks, this thread's sliding off topic. If you want to discuss Bergevin and his moves overall - take it to the Bergevin thread. This one's about who goes (if anyone) now that Petry's signed.

HabsDieHard*

Star players making star money is not a negative thing for an NHL franchise.

No matter how many times people bring up the "bargain" contract Subban could have signed.

In the season Crosby signed his first post ELC deal, his cap hit came in at 8.7 and the cap was 56.7

When you consider where the cap was at when Subban signed his deal, it's not even close to outrageous compensation for what he provides to this organization.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Subban is signed from 25-33, it will pay off big dividends for the franchise for years to come.

HabsDieHard*

A lot of star players around the league take five or six year deals after ELC. It is the norm with which star players are treated. From Taylor Hall to Erik Karlsson and on and on.

He got to be the highest paid dman in the NHL because seven of the nine contract years are UFA years. No top-3 dman in the NHL has signed that recently.

Yeah and things turned out differently for Subban.

Instead of a 5-6 year post ELC contract, he got a 2 year bridge and then an 8 year contract.

He got to be the highest CAP HIT d-man in the NHL because his organization told him to go out and prove he deserved to be paid like an all star d-man and he did just that.

Time will tell how the other star d-mens' contracts turn out, but for a cap spending organization to spend 9 million on a franchise d-man, it is not a negative.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yeah and things turned out differently for Subban.

Instead of a 5-6 year post ELC contract, he got a 2 year bridge and then an 8 year contract.

He got to be the highest CAP HIT d-man in the NHL because his organization told him to go out and prove he deserved to be paid like an all star d-man and he did just that.

Time will tell how the other star d-mens' contracts turn out, but for a cap spending organization to spend 9 million on a franchise d-man, it is not a negative.

1) They are spending ~3 million more than they otherwise would be through to 2018 -- yes that is a negative.
2) Bergevin genuinely did not know if Subban was a great player which he admitted so himself on multiple occasions -- yes that is a negative.
3) Geoff Molson stepped in, overruled his GM, and gave Subban a career contract rather than let Subban take arbitration deals through to free agency -- yes that is a positive.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Molson confirmed it himself - after the arbitration (which I'm sure was brutal) Subban exited the room looking "dazed" and "at a loss for words" (according to twitter). They had something like 48 hours to agree to another deal or take the arbitrator's offer (which would've been a 1 or 2 year deal and he'd be a UFA immediately after) it is during this time where Molson got heavily involved and would later admit that he stepped up and interfered with what would've been the biggest fiasco since the Roy trade.

Look at these links: https://www.google.com/webhp?source...spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=geoff molson subban contract

BargainBin is a pathetic, arrogant nobody. He was a forgettable hockey player and rewards players he empathizes with and wants to play a game that plays to his own former (minor, insignificant) traits.

How he has the unwavering support of otherwise intelligent people is beyond me. The man has no ties to Montreal having left at a super young age, no ties to the Habs, isn't a hockey legend, isn't even a notable hockey player. He can't speak English or French and the French players and staff he did bring onto the team are all washed up or never-beens like himself: Briere, PAP, Bouillon and fkn Therrien. They insulted Larry Robinson and hired JJD instead, because of a rainstorm. They brought along every crony and friend from here till kingdom come -Scott fkn Mellanby, Ethan Moreau?! The one good hire was poached from Chicago to work with our only superstar. Our AHL system is a mess that is beyond repair - and he's adamantly refused to change a thing about their operation (contrast with the Calder Cup-winning Tampa Bay youngsters currently in the finals).

AND the Subban contract fiasco.

He's been here for four off-seasons now and the talent that he's managed to add to the roster have been a 3rd liner in Weise, a puncher at 2.5m in Prust and Jeff '29 points' Petry at 5.5m. Hardly steals by any stretch of the imagination.

He's the next Bob Gainey and none of you guys can see that. He took fkn PK Subban to arbitration... AFTER HE HAD HIS NORRIS SEASON!!!! He literally told PK Subban, top1 dman on the team from the moment he joined it, to "prove" himself with a show-me contract. A contract that everyone in the media said that PK only signed by the grace of his good nature.

Jesus christ I'm getting mad thinking about it.

This man threw Bustchenyuk under the bus the moment he didn't interfere when Therrien lied to the media and shoved him back to LW. This man thinks "fantastic" Desharnais is a viable first line centre, as he has been here and been extended for FOUR YEARS for all of BargainBin's tenure.

Gah. I should stop.

Um, thanks for elaborating.

I was also bothered by that whole process. MBs offer was so bad, I realized this would be worse than the bridge deal talks, and it really was. Should not have gone so far.Maybe Molson can pop in on Galchenyuk and DD now.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The 2005-12 CBA expired in September 2012. We could have signed Subban from May to September 2012 under the old CBA... *mindblown*

dude..nobody was signing ANYbody with a CBA expiring, it was known since that years winter the CBA was more then likely expiring and a big reason why no deal was being made was because of all these insanely ridiculous front loaded 10 plus year deals that were being thrown around

subbans contract only looks "bad" to most at the moment because its the FIRST one built on the strength of a new CBA, its the FIRST long term contract in the new cba that was done correctly with no sneaky front loaded numbers

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
dude..nobody was signing ANYbody with a CBA expiring, it was known since that years winter the CBA was more then likely expiring and a big reason why no deal was being made was because of all these insanely ridiculous front loaded 10 plus year deals that were being thrown around

subbans contract only looks "bad" to most at the moment because its the FIRST one built on the strength of a new CBA, its the FIRST long term contract in the new cba that was done correctly with no sneaky front loaded numbers
Didn't Minny lock up Suter to a long deal before the CBA?

For the record, I don't think Subban's contract looks bad. I fully understand that this is the new contract norm if you want to sign big name players.
People are just disappointed because every one knew Subban was a sure bet. Maybe not to the Norris point but there was no doubt he was going to be a top 10 Dmen in the NHL. So, maybe securing him to a 10+ year deal was too much, but we certainly could have skipped the bridge and go straight to a 4-6 year deal, or at least try.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad