With Hayes on waivers, Boston has nothing to show for Tyler Seguin

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
It does in the case of Thornton and Kessel it does. The Bruins won without both players. Neither move hurt the franchise as a result of moving them. Fact is, it made Boston better in the long run.

How? ? yes they won the cup and a big reason was because of a player they had already in their system...Brad Marchand and also the trade for Horton .
The year after they traded kessel
Their offense sucked as I suspected
It would, desperate to improve offence Chiarelli gets the cavalry
In Satan....
Of course well take the cup but we don't know if we would have won more with kessel we do know he has 2 with Pitt and he's a huge reason for it..

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Does this really help you cope with losing an elite young center for nothing?

good point. So many are delusional or act like it...cant bring themselves to admit that the Seguin trade was awful (chiarelli will tell you himself but he will also tell u it had to be done..BS)
Any hockey person will easily say the Seguin trade was one of the worse except for some egoistic bruin fans that either act or are in denial..
Que.to the pro seguin trade ppl.
"If you had to do the same trade today you would?" sure ....

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I think Cam Neely had a lot to do with making that trade as well.

I think cam Neely had a lot to do with wanting to trade seguin. It was chiarellis job to get what they got for seguin. Most Bruins fans aren't upset that seguin was traded. They are upset with what chiarelli brought back for him

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I think cam Neely had a lot to do with wanting to trade seguin. It was chiarellis job to get what they got for seguin. Most Bruins fans aren't upset that seguin was traded. They are upset with what chiarelli brought back for him

Its the GM job ultimately to decide if a player gets traded or what is the point of having a GM.. Others can give their opinion but the Gm decides..
If some are/were content to see him traded. .I'd like to understand how trading a young franchise player is in accordance with some.
I made up a term for the bruins
"TALENT DONOURS" if you need a great young player we will give
Them to you as our charitable donation

Next up: David Pastrnak?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I like that bruins fans are cocky. Next several seasons are gonna be fun.

Lolwut. How are Bruins fans being cocky? In addition, if you are implying that Boston doesn't have a bright future, well, sorry to disappoint you, but the organization has a deep prospect pool and its future is bright, indeed.

So: Senyshyn, Lauzon, & Forsbacka-Karlsson.

Probably at least one NHL player in there. Anything close to Seguin, Kessel, and Hamilton (or even Anderson)? Doubt it.

P.S.:
hQYYEnN.png

Still hilarious to see Kyle Connor and Barzal right after those 3 picks.

Who is to say that Barzal, Connor, Konecny and Chabot will be better NHLers than Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn? I don't know, and you guys sure as hell don't know, either.

The rumour is that the call to trade Seguin came from ownership owing to their displeasure with his off-ice behaviour.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Its the GM job ultimately to decide if a player gets traded or what is the point of having a GM.. Others can give their opinion but the Gm decides..
If some are/were content to see him traded. .I'd like to understand how trading a young franchise player is in accordance with some.
I made up a term for the bruins
"TALENT DONOURS" if you need a great young player we will give
Them to you as our charitable donation

Next up: David Pastrnak?

Not likely. I'll remain pretty strong though that trading franchise players isn't a bad decision if the return is 2 franchise players. For example no one hates the kessel trade as it brought in seguin and Hamilton. People hate the seguin trade because it brought in exactly no one 3 years later. People are happy with the Hamilton trade because it brought in senyshyn lauzon and JFK/Carlo. (Can't remember which). That could result in nothing but at least it brought in some promise. Chiarelli should be criticized for what he traded seguin for, not for trading seguin.

If Sweeney trades pastrnak to say winnipeg for ehlers and connor, will we criticize Sweeney because he traded pastrnak? Or will we criticize cheveldeyov for trading so much for pastrnak

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Lolwut. How are Bruins fans being cocky? In addition, if you are implying that Boston doesn't have a bright future, well, sorry to disappoint you, but the organization has a deep prospect pool and its future is bright, indeed.

Who is to say that Barzal, Connor, Konecny and Chabot will be better NHLers than Zboril, Debrusk and Senyshyn? I don't know, and you guys sure as hell don't know, either.

The rumour is that the call to trade Seguin came from ownership owing to their displeasure with his off-ice behaviour.

Sure but that doesn't mean they wanted chiarelli to bring back scraps for him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Got Peter Chiarelli fired.

that had more to do with the Bruins missing the playoffs.

And the reason he got into cap trouble in the first place was because that team was obsessed with staying a contender and loading up every season, which was likely mandated all over the team. The cap was also the defining motivation behind the Seguin trade. He would cost a lot, and they were suffering through his youthful problems. The team had it out for Seguin, the players and management, and not just Chiarelli. Maybe he should have stood up against everyone and kept Seguin, and somehow made the cap work, but it's a complex situation.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Not likely. I'll remain pretty strong though that trading franchise players isn't a bad decision if the return is 2 franchise players. For example no one hates the kessel trade as it brought in seguin and Hamilton. People hate the seguin trade because it brought in exactly no one 3 years later. People are happy with the Hamilton trade because it brought in senyshyn lauzon and JFK/Carlo. (Can't remember which). That could result in nothing but at least it brought in some promise. Chiarelli should be criticized for what he traded seguin for, not for trading seguin.

If Sweeney trades pastrnak to say winnipeg for ehlers and connor, will we criticize Sweeney because he traded pastrnak? Or will we criticize cheveldeyov for trading so much for pastrnak

There is a reason why teams finish at the bottom and wait at times many years to land a franchise player. .You hold onto them. I don't see mcdavid matthews laine
Getting traded any time soon
P.s.I hated the kessel trade but yes
I felt better that we can get a Seguin
And I also did not like the Dougie trade ( I do like some of those prospects but they have not proven anything yet..)

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

And the reason he got into cap trouble in the first place was because that team was obsessed with staying a contender and loading up every season, which was likely mandated all over the team. The cap was also the defining motivation behind the Seguin trade. He would cost a lot, and they were suffering through his youthful problems. The team had it out for Seguin, the players and management, and not just Chiarelli. Maybe he should have stood up against everyone and kept Seguin, and somehow made the cap work, but it's a complex situation.

Wrong. Trading Seguin for peanuts and grossly mismanaging the cap (not to mention overseeing some horrible drafting during his tenure) are mainly what got Chiarelli fired. You're an Oilers fan, so of course you are going to do what it takes to defend him.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Chiarellis worst moves were internal roster decisions and poor drafting. Chris Kelly's contract was bad. David krejci contract was bad, boychuk return was bad, seguin return was bad. Zach Hamil, joe colborne, jordon Caron, Malcolm subban all bad 1st round picks. He can make the easy top 10 type picks (except hamil over couture) but after the top 10 are gone he's horrible.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
As we all know, horrible trade. Looking at the roster and assets from 09-13 it is embarrassing to see how the team ended up. Had a clear path to dynasty, but in just about every facet, management failed. Still of course Leafs fans cockiness is unwavered and consistent with the irrational levels during their tanking that occurred in the same period. At least there is now something rational for them to take pride in.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Its sort of glossed over how he assembled one of the best teams of the era and kept the players together over a long period.

Even now....Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak was one of the best lines in the NHL and although he's just a GM....it still has Chia's fingerprints all over it. (2xelc extension, ufa extension, draft pick)

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Its sort of glossed over how he assembled one of the best teams of the era and kept the players together over a long period.

Even now....Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak was one of the best lines in the NHL and although he's just a GM....it still has Chia's fingerprints all over it. (2xelc extension, ufa extension, draft pick)

I'm pretty sure half if not more than half the core was drafted or in the system before he even got there.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I'm pretty sure half if not more than half the core was drafted or in the system before he even got there.

Absolutely, it was Gorton (with the exception of Pastr) who had his fingerprints all over those players chosen..and btw it was Chia who fired Gorton-a good move for himself but NOT one for the Bruins

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
and how would they be if he moved on from those guys instead of signing them and putting them in positions to grow and succeed?

Impossible to know. Probably horrible if he traded them for seguin like returns. Also it's not very common to trade young affordable players who are talented even if they weren't your draft picks. Chiarelli Is a status quo guy to a fault. He re signed everyone and included too many players as core pieces. Too many no movement clauses to 3rd line players and 3rd pairing d men. Which left him in cap trouble when it came to resigning more important players like boychuk.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Looks to me like when Chiarelli asks for their thoughts, all he gets is, "Yeah, he needs to go."

Chiarelli is so pathetic in that video. Unless it was all an act. Lol at old boston guys and their "our game".

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
This is becoming a Chiarelli thread
.I will continue to indulge. ....this is how I view the Seguin trade
He with great fortune wins the lottery pick#2....@ #2 chia has great fortune that there is a franchise forward available and what does Chia do.....He gives it away for nothing. .Imo this in itself
Is more then enough reason to be fired

Last edited:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Their cockiness is warranted for the past, but seriously, it's going to be hilarious to see the Bruins try to keep up with the Leafs speed.

The Bruins should be in a decent spot speed wise in a couple years if don Sweeney really is as good at amateur talent evaluation as it's being reported he is (by Boston beat guys). Essentially he's been touted as a drafting and developing guru while simultaneously a pro scouting stooge.

However all of these prospects are reportedly great skaters.
Zboril
Vakananien
Senyshyn
Bjork
Mcavoy

That is 3 defensemen who are considered to be great skaters and all are 1st round picks indicating high talent level. All 3 are at different spots in development but all should be nhl players in 3 years or so. With pastrnak, Marchand, kuraly, senyshyn, Bjork all potentially on the roster at that time, that's an additional 5 wingers with good speed. The center position is a little plodding admittedly.
Bergeron will never be confused with Nathan mackinnon and neither will a slow paced David krejci or JFK. Frederic plays a more physical style a la backes and while ryan donatos father teddy was a fantastic skater, ryan is a bit more of a skilled player than speed demon.

All in all, id say Boston is in reasonably decent shape to keep up with the 4 forwards Toronto has with speed in the future. Particularly at home where they could match up a speed line of Bjork-kuraly-senyshyn to shut down a line with mcavoy and Zboril on the back end. That could come as early as this year although by all accounts senyshyn needs some time to realize he will only be an effective nhler when he learns to use his speed like Danny paille did and less like nichuskin tried too

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
This is becoming a Chiarelli thread
.I will continue to indulge. ....this is how I view the Seguin trade
He with great fortune wins the lottery pick#2....@ "2 ..chia has great fortune that there is a franchise forward available and what does Chia do.....He gives it away for nothing. .Imo this in itself
Is more then enough reason to be fired

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Impossible to know. Probably horrible if he traded them for seguin like returns. Also it's not very common to trade young affordable players who are talented even if they weren't your draft picks. Chiarelli Is a status quo guy to a fault. He re signed everyone and included too many players as core pieces. Too many no movement clauses to 3rd line players and 3rd pairing d men. Which left him in cap trouble when it came to resigning more important players like boychuk.

It just seems absolutely ridiculous that he wouldn't get credit for anything positive.

Like delusional.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad