With Hayes on waivers, Boston has nothing to show for Tyler Seguin

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
Cocky... Cocky how?

If you want to see "cocky", please refer to Leafs fans. They're bragging left and right about how they will be conquering everything. I even saw one of them saying they're building a dynasty... Not building a team that can be consistently in the playoffs... Not a team that can be consistently a contender... Not a team that can win a Cup... But a DYNASTY already... Now THAT'S cocky for you.

For all the years of having a terrible team and there are so many years...
I don't think it is possible for a Leaf fans to be cocky even if they tried.
They are dying for a cup and will say just about anything to give them any hope whether or not they are realistic

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I had not seen that clip before. That's very bad. The whole premise the day before was we move him to keep Horton. Then Horton goes, and they're like "well, we're still going to move him because we don't like him." The lack of ownership for his development in that room is pathetic. Not one person steps up and questions, whether the organization has put him in the best position to succeed? It's just a huge high and mighty discussion about culture and how he doesn't fit. It's "he's going to be a star BUT.."

The lack of confidence by Chiarelli in every call with someone outside the organization is not good either. It's a bunch of umms and maybes and confusion. The call with the unnamed GM he basically just negotiates against himself. "We're looking for another first but you don't have one so we'll take a 2nd and a prospect."

All that video shows is why this ended up being a bad move. It wasn't thoroughly vetted and there wasn't a ton of thought put into the return. When you're looking to move a star that you simply don't have to move, you don't tell teams what you want, you let them tell you what they're willing to give up. They decided to move him regardless of the return, which they simply didn't have to do. It should've been an open bidding war, and if you didn't get what you want, you simply keep him and move him at another time.

The whole premise of the Seguin trade was to 'replace' Nathan Horton's role on the Bruins. Loui Eriksson was that player. Chiarelli went into that trade and targeted specific pieces with an explanation of why he wanted them. The idea that GMs go into negotiations with the 'what will you give me for...' pitch probably couldn't be further from reality IMO.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
What strikes me in the "Behind the B" video is how they are reluctant at first to trade Seguin. By their own admission, they had a future star on their hands. Why the hell did they trade him for Eriksson and table scraps if they foresaw him becoming a star? Surely there would've been another GM willing to offer more than that.

He had a 29 goal, 67 point season for the Bruins. The Bruins have never been a powerhouse offensive team, what caused them to miss the playoffs in 2015 and 2016 was their lack of scoring outside the top 6. Bergeron, Seguin and Krejci would be among the best C depths in the league. In the video, they criticize Seguin for being soft but Krejci never struck me as a big bad Bruin either and he's making $7M a year.

Not that I think it was a good trade by any means but Krejci has never been soft and the Bruins didn't miss in 2015-16 because of lack of production from their top 6, they actually had 3 30 goal scorers that year in Bergeron, Marchand and Eriksson.

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Not that I think it was a good trade by any means but Krejci has never been soft and the Bruins didn't miss in 2015-16 because of lack of production from their top 6, they actually had 3 30 goal scorers that year in Bergeron, Marchand and Eriksson.

The post said scoring outside of the top 6.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Have Bruins fans changed their opinion since the time of the trade and these videos came out? I remember a LOT of buy-in from the fanbase of the sentiments made in this clip.

The consensus among the vast majority of Bruins fans is that the return was terrible. The anger was not so much about trading Seguin but about who came back. The blame for that falls squarely on Chiarelli's shoulders and no one else.

Watching that video again I'm hearing Chiarelli sound a lot more reluctant than the rest of the room about moving Seguin. Listen how he pauses before he says "Tyler" when we first get to hear part of the phone conversation.

The scuttlebutt is that the only person in management at the time who was reluctant to trade Seguin was Don Sweeney, who reportedly argued for having the Bruins give Seguin more time to mature (a la Patrick Kane in Chicago).

having a C like seguin and D like dougie would be sweet for any team right now every fan, every coach, every GM wishes for good young talent...when you have it, go ahead and hang onto it...only trade young elite talent for young elite talent

Ownership reportedly wanted Seguin gone owing to his off-ice behaviour, while Dougie Hamilton wanted out of Boston.

The whole premise of the Seguin trade was to 'replace' Nathan Horton's role on the Bruins.

The whole premise of the trade was reportedly to follow the orders of ownership. As mentioned, Chiarelli deserves all the blame for mismanaging the trade and getting a horrible return.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
For all the years of having a terrible team and there are so many years...
I don't think it is possible for a Leaf fans to be cocky even if they tried.
They are dying for a cup and will say just about anything to give them any hope whether or not they are realistic

If they have the hope to become a DYNASTY, that's fine in and of itself. Who wouldn't hope for something like that for his team.
But proclaiming that "We're building a dynasty" in the main boards (= saying it to every fan of every team) IS incredibly cocky. They ought to keep that ridiculous stuff in their section. Bring it to the main boards when you won 3/4 Cups in a short span. Then you can rightfully brag. While it would not be something that I would do personally, I could see how one could. But now? When they're a question mark to make the playoffs consistently? ---> :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad