Sportsnet: With family settled, Murray gets down to business with Senators teammates

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
i hope the Murray that was blanking us during our ECF run shows up. I hated him for it and will only stop this petty grudge if he blanks out opponents for us lol

Reactions: Melgene Eunyk

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yes it is...there's a direct correlation between shot location and save percentage and shot location is a direct result of team performance

You see the "home plate" graphics they used throughout the WJC?

Well yes and no. Sucky teams don't just allow more shots from the home plate, they also allow more shots from everywhere else. Teams that get stuck in their end often resort to collapsing and protecting that home plate all the while getting peppered from the perimiter.

Teams that are really good typically allow fewer shots often only allowing that initial chance off the rush before clearing the zone which is typically a higher quality shot.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Last year Murray was a 899 SV% and Anderson had a .902.

We need 2015 - 2017 Murray
His father passed last year and he battled injury. I think it was a one off, ill trust the rest of his body of work over last season. He is still relatively young for a goaltender, plenty of improvement still to come. Hoping we see a 1 A 1 B situation here were they split most of the games so they're both fresh. Something like 31/25 for games played.

Reactions: aragorn

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
His father passed last year and he battled injury. I think it was a one off, ill trust the rest of his body of work over last season. He is still relatively young for a goaltender, plenty of improvement still to come. Hoping we see a 1 A 1 B situation here were they split most of the games so they're both fresh. Something like 31/25 for games played.

That contract is awfully rich for a 1A/1B deployment. That said, it would-be great if the Hog was sound enough to start 20+ times this year.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That contract is awfully rich for a 1A/1B deployment. That said, it would-be great if the Hog was sound enough to start 20+ times this year.
Contracts should have nothing to do with trying to win hockey games. Not really sure why people care the sens are 15 million below the cap and it's an extremely condensed schedule. No team has won a cup in the last 10 years with a goaltender playing over 60 games in the regular season. If you're truly concerned about the cap hit Ottawas combined cap is 7 million between both goalies which is one of the lowest in the NHL. It's ok to have players under perform a contract as long as you have players over performing. The sens have lots of guys on ELC's so there is a balance.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Contracts should have nothing to do with trying to win hockey games. Not really sure why people care the sens are 15 million below the cap and it's an extremely condensed schedule. No team has won a cup in the last 10 years with a goaltender playing over 60 games in the regular season. If you're truly concerned about the cap hit Ottawas combined cap is 7 million between both goalies which is one of the lowest in the NHL. It's ok to have players under perform a contract as long as you have players over performing. The sens have lots of guys on ELC's so there is a balance.

Yes the cap isn’t a binding constraint, but we should want and expect the guys we pay in function of lead roles to play those roles. I don’t think Dorion gave him over $6M to platoon him. That said, if he stumbles I have no doubt that will happen.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yes it is...there's a direct correlation between shot location and save percentage and shot location is a direct result of team performance

You see the "home plate" graphics they used throughout the WJC?

There is definitely NOT a "DIRECT" correlation. Plenty of goalies have had good save percentages on bad teams and bad save percentages on good teams.

Anderson always played on a worse team than lalime but always had a better save percentages.

Ottawa almost always had a better regular season than the leafs but cujo or belfour had better save%... Why? Because they were better. How good your playing matters 10 times more than how good your team is for save %.

Imnotagoodposter

Jan 5, 2020
There is definitely NOT a "DIRECT" correlation. Plenty of goalies have had good save percentages on bad teams and bad save percentages on good teams.

Anderson always played on a worse team than lalime but always had a better save percentages.

Ottawa almost always had a better regular season than the leafs but cujo or belfour had better save%... Why? Because they were better. How good your playing matters 10 times more than how good your team is for save %.
Anderson was a great goalie but apparently was one that thrives on high volumes of shots, whatever the f*** that really means

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Murray can be a huge part of any turnaround we hope for. Murray is one of the few pieces we have (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sanderson, and Chabot being the others) who can be considered a possible high-end player. Batherson, Norris, Brown, Brannstrom, etc.. aren't likely to reach that level or have ever shown to be able to reach it.

I am not confident it will happen unfortunately. I do think there is a middle ground where he isn't worth the contract but he plays like a starting goalie until we ditch him. I don't think he's "boom or bust", but there is a strong possibility his concussion issues become permanent and ruins the rebuild. Maybe 15% chance he comes back to being a top-5 goalie , a 60% chance he is average, and a 25% chance his career is well and truly done.

Fingers crossed.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

That doesn't make sense. Some guys are just better than others

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Murray can be a huge part of any turnaround we hope for. Murray is one of the few pieces we have (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Sanderson, and Chabot being the others) who can be considered a possible high-end player. Batherson, Norris, Brown, Brannstrom, etc.. aren't likely to reach that level or have ever shown to be able to reach it.

I am not confident it will happen unfortunately. I do think there is a middle ground where he isn't worth the contract but he plays like a starting goalie until we ditch him. I don't think he's "boom or bust", but there is a strong possibility his concussion issues become permanent and ruins the rebuild. Maybe 15% chance he comes back to being a top-5 goalie , a 60% chance he is average, and a 25% chance his career is well and truly done.

Fingers crossed.

This team having a consistent average starter would be a bonus.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
These threads make me sad every time I see them and somehow forget for an instant that Bryan Murray died. Just so used to reading that name in thread titles.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
That doesn't make sense. Some guys are just better than others

That's what I'm saying. How good a goalie is or how good he's playing will effect his save percentage a lot more than how good the team infront of him is. I'm agreeing with the poster that said how good the team is effects GAA a lot more than SV%.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
I feel like signing this guy is the biggest risk we are taking and I'm pretty sure we overcommitted.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00