Speculation: With Covid around is our private plane an advantage?

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
Could flying private be a draw and possibly entice UFAs to sign in Detroit?
Do other amenities exist that we provide which other teams do not that could be leveraged during these times?

I'm curious what the board thinks about this idea.

EDIT - I wasn't considering that other teams hire private charters.
Guess I'm just an old fart.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Considering what happened with the Cardinals, and Toronto not allowing baseball games in that city, I would not be surprised if the NHL decided to play the entire season in Edm/Tor bubble. Makes the private plane discussion moot.

It would suck for the players, but they have to be willing to make some sacrifices for $1M+ salaries.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Considering what happened with the Cardinals, and Toronto not allowing baseball games in that city, I would not be surprised if the NHL decided to play the entire season in Edm/Tor bubble. Makes the private plane discussion moot.

It would suck for the players, but they have to be willing to make some sacrifices for $1M+ salaries.

I think this is the only hope for a full season.

Are players willing to sacrifice that kind of freedom and be away from their families? I don't know. It's easy enough when it's just the playoffs like now, but the full 82 game grind?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Other teams aren’t flying coach here. They are still on chartered planes.

And all the East coast teams that get to bus from place to place for half their games. The Rangers aren't just a draw for their market, but the travel (or lack thereof) is absolutely the best.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Are players willing to sacrifice that kind of freedom and be away from their families? I don't know. It's easy enough when it's just the playoffs like now, but the full 82 game grind?
You gotta figure in the salary. Playing careers are limited, and $1M is a lot of money, and that's the low end of salary. The average league salary is $2.78M. I'd sacrifice freedom for that, just shorten the season so it ends in June (including playoffs).

As for the Rangers, you ever visit NY? I hate that city, but then again I hate Detroit and Seattle too.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You gotta figure in the salary. Playing careers are limited, and $1M is a lot of money, and that's the low end of salary. The average league salary is $2.78M. I'd sacrifice freedom for that, just shorten the season so it ends in June (including playoffs).

As for the Rangers, you ever visit NY? I hate that city, but then again I hate Detroit and Seattle too.

Used to live an hour train ride from NYC. I'm not really a big city guy so it wasn't my thing, but I get the appeal for a young hockey player. They can live quite a life there and avoid all kinds of travel.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I wonder if there is an opportunity to do some kind of roaming bubble where we’d fly into Edmonton for example and have games against the oilers, flames, Canucks then go to Minnesota and play the jets wild and hawks. Later play a series at home with the kings, sharks, ducks and yotes coming to town then head up to Toronto to against the Habs, leafs, sens and jackets. etc. The schedule makers will be working a lot of overtime to make something like this feasible. Just spit balling here

Reactions: izlez and Bench

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Used to live an hour train ride from NYC. I'm not really a big city guy so it wasn't my thing, but I get the appeal for a young hockey player. They can live quite a life there and avoid all kinds of travel.
If I had my choice of NHL cities to live in, top 3 are:
1) Denver
2) Vegas
3) San Jose

Just goes to show how weird I am, I guess.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I don't think that's "easy enough" to be honest.
Playoffs, including play-ins, last 2 1/2 months.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't think that's "easy enough" to be honest.
Playoffs, including play-ins, last 2 1/2 months.

Only for a couple teams. And staying longer means you're playing for playoff glory, which takes all the sting out of it. Not so much over the 82 game grind when you're on the Red Wings.

Reactions: ricky0034 and kliq

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I wonder if there is an opportunity to do some kind of roaming bubble where we’d fly into Edmonton for example and have games against the oilers, flames, Canucks then go to Minnesota and play the jets wild and hawks. Later play a series at home with the kings, sharks, ducks and yotes coming to town then head up to Toronto to against the Habs, leafs, sens and jackets. etc. The schedule makers will be working a lot of overtime to make something like this feasible. Just spit balling here

This makes a ton of sense, so I have little hope of it happening.

I'm sorry, Sirloin, but you're overqualified to work for the NHL at this time.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Even before Covid I don't think there is a single professional sports team that shares a plane with others especially the general public.

Edit: I should probably clarify when I say professional sports team I mean major sport major league.

Last edited:

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I live an hour south of Vancouver, not real fond of that city or Seattle.

I'd do Detroit and DC just because I'm already familiar with them, but yeah, if I could play in the NHL, I wouldn't care which city.
I'm 45 minutes east from Vancouver. DC is suppose to be nice would love to visit.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
If I had my choice of NHL cities to live in, top 3 are:
1) Denver
2) Vegas
3) San Jose

Just goes to show how weird I am, I guess.
You don’t want Vegas, trust me. Went to my backyard at 7:30AM last week and about burnt my toes off on the turf. Routinely gets 110+ in the summer. I’m initially from a small town in Indy (so probably biased) but most of my neighbors aren’t exactly “warm”.

My top three in no particular order
Denver, Vancouver, Nashville

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If money was no object, I don't think there's a damn person alive that shouldn't be picking Vancouver.

Vancouver_Aerial_2017_1__72115131-4a31-42dc-b369-7a5ccec8273f.jpg

But since I went into academia instead of investment banking, I have some mixed feelings about it.

Reactions: NDetroitFan

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm 45 minutes east from Vancouver. DC is suppose to be nice would love to visit.
I live in Bellingham. The lines at Costco are a lot shorter after we banned you people. And the traffic moves a lot better. So sick of Canadian shoppers driving 50 mph and crowding Costco, lol. I'm still waiting for Trump to build a damn wall to keep you people out.

You don’t want Vegas, trust me. Went to my backyard at 7:30AM last week and about burnt my toes off on the turf. Routinely gets 110+ in the summer. I’m initially from a small town in Indy (so probably biased) but most of my neighbors aren’t exactly “warm”.

My top three in no particular order
Denver, Vancouver, Nashville
I've been in Vegas and Death Valley in the middle of summer. Trust me, it's better than Manitoba in the middle of winter. Also, hockey is a winter sport, and I'd be rich, so I'd probably have a summer house in the UP or something.

Vancouver is the correct answer....best big city in North America
Ummmm.... no. I live an hour south and I avoid it. I would go with Denver for best big city. It's the big city for people who don't like big cities, very little city attitude there.

Reactions: BStinson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad