Wish list to replace Hak

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I mean, do you think Lappy was the one who decided to put Lehtera on the PK as well? I don't think both Lappy decided to put him on the PK and Knob to put him on the PP. I honestly think it's up to Hak for that decision.
I don't know either way, which is why I'm saying you can't assume either.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
his team cant score goals.
30th ranked PP
27th ranked PK.
14th in 5 on 5 scoring.
27th in scoring overall.

in some towns that gets the fan base wanting the entire coaching staff canned.
Our PP is 9th, but that's because the top unit is insane, regardless of PP coach.

And we're 15th in goals, not 27th...

Or am I misreading this post...?

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If Torts can change, why not Sutter?

Of course he can........but there is probably no reason to confidently believe he would. Sutter just won 2 Cups in 6 years. For all we know he still views himself as the correct party in his split with the Kings. And he is notoriously as stubborn a guy as you'll find. He's been around a long time, and we even have the unique position of seeing him as a GM too. We're probably just as likely, more even *shudders*, to see Hakstol change his spots.

Torts is an exception to the rule of stubborn re-treads set in their ways, so assuming if he can do it, anyone can isn't exactly firm ground. Torts also didn't change anything when he went to Vancouver and flamed out miserably; I think it took that moment for him to come to Hockey Jesus. It may have even taken his first year in Columbus too.

Reactions: whitstifier

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Probably the most understated idiocy in regards to the organization's coaching staffs is how we just kind of waste our farm club in that regard. A smart club, or at least a club successful in identifying promising coaching talent, would already have the answer to this topic potentially in the AHL. I haven't seen anyone clamor to give one of our AHL coaches a shot since...I don't know when? So, instead, they're forced to go with tired NHL retreads, nepotistic favoring of ex-Flyers, or give complete 100 percent shots in the dark to coaches with no AHL or NHL experience, like Hakstol. The latter of which, that I also consider the next best option behind grooming coaches in the AHL, is still a historically ballsy move for this organization despite Hakstol and Knob.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
What I want is for the franchise to use the AHL head coaching spot as a try out spot for young up and coming coaches. Don't throw that position to somebody unless you are looking at them as your next NHL coach.... well I hope and assume they aren't doing that already.

I would be surprised if anyone disagrees with you on this one. I'm fairly desperate for this to happen and can't really think of a more logical thing to do. It perfectly suits the way we have stockpiled draft picks and then drafted well. There are no guarantees that it would work, but there aren't any guarantees anything else would, either.

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
Sam Hallam

I don't think I particularly like him as a human being given some things that have came out (though everyone makes mistakes) ... but I would bet good money on him being the best head coach not in the NHL right now. And he is 38 years old.

It is actually ridiculous how much I love pretty much everything he does.
I looked him up and I think he could beat Hak in a staredown. Job's his.

Reactions: Appleyard

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Sutter head coach and Tippett coaching special team.

Michel Therrien! He's unemployed at this moment. He has been a successful coach in the past, and will be one in the future......I just want his success be with the Flyers!

tenor.gif

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Dineen learned the game in the AHL for five seasons and was given a Florida club that he actually managed to have them overachieve. He's been a fantastic assistant in Chicago working with Joel Quenneville. Once again, how would he coach unwatchable hockey?
Would like Dineen but better to spend $$$$$$$$$ on Quenneville if Hawks make a change.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Also don't know why anyone would want Knoblauch.

There's two options:

a) he has no control over anything right now, which would mean you guys are just asking for him while knowing nothing about him (if you're only going based on what's written about him, remember that there were good things said about Hakstol before he got here too)

b) he has control, which would mean that he's responsible for all the stupid **** we're seeing when it comes to the 2nd PP personnel (Lehtera, Manning, no TK or Patrick at times, etc)

I don’t want him as a coach but I’m leaning more towards Option A. That’s because it’s been going on before he got here & at both levels which has me brining Hextall into the equation as well with Hakstol & Gordon.

Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
If/when they replace Hakstol, give me a young coach, please. None of these old coaches who are set in their ways -- which were relevant in a different era. I want the NHL equivalent of Sean McVay. A young, innovative coach who is up on the modern game. Keenan was that way when they hired him at age 34 or 35.

Knoblach would seem to be that guy.

No Sutters (hard-headed as they come and staunchly defensive, though the press conferences would be great); no Tippetts (can you say boring hockey?) New ideas, please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad