Winter classic at Doyers Stadium in 2014??

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
In what alternate universe is it even remotely cold enough in Los Angeles on any day of the year to have an outdoor ice rink capable of sustaining NHL play?

The tempature is not a problem. The NHL has stated many times they can make the ice. The only weather issue is rain. Bettman just doesnt believe that the image of sunshine and hockey is what he wants to put forth.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Haven't you guys noticed that they've had plenty of problems with the ice the last few years during the winter classic in climates where the temperatures are actually freezing outside?

And that was due to rain (or snow). Now if you can tell me how the weather will be in LA in January in 2014, then you may have a point.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The tempature is not a problem. The NHL has stated many times they can make the ice. The only weather issue is rain. Bettman just doesnt believe that the image of sunshine and hockey is what he wants to put forth.

Part of me agrees.

I think the Rose Bowl is such an iconic facility, that they would be willing to make an exception and have an outdoor game there. The problem is, you let one warm weather market have it, where does it stop. I don't want to see future WC games in Dallas, Phoenix, Tampa Bay etc. I think the game has lost a bit of it's uniqueness already, I think going to warm markets will make it even worse.

The games in Buffalo, Chicago and Boston were magical.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Part of me agrees.

I think the Rose Bowl is such an iconic facility, that they would be willing to make an exception and have an outdoor game there. The problem is, you let one warm weather market have it, where does it stop. I don't want to see future WC games in Dallas, Phoenix, Tampa Bay etc. I think the game has lost a bit of it's uniqueness already, I think going to warm markets will make it even worse.

The games in Buffalo, Chicago and Boston were magical.

Lets be honest, those markets are never gonna get it anyways....Hell you can't even get their regular games on NBC.

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
Knowing Bettman, I'd think we'd have a better chance of maybe seeing our Kings IN a Winter Classic game, but not here in LA, at least not anytime soon ... maybe something more along the lines of a 1967 NHL Expansion Teams WC game ? say the KINGS in our THROWBACKS vs one of the Philadelphia FLYERS, Pittsburgh PENGUINS, or the St. Louis BLUES ? or maybe the Minnesota WILD in some Old NORTH STARS Jerseys ?

RonSwanson*

I wonder where the Canucks would hold the game? BC Place isn't really outside, I'm not sure the roof can even open in their "winter" weather.

They just had the Olympics there. Surely there is a large outdoor venue.

If the Kings host a game at Dodgers Stadium, you can be certain I will be there. I wonder what other games they would have there? It would be fantastic to have a Legends Game and have Gretzky come back like they did in Edmonton. As much as the Ducks/Kings would be a good rivalry, it would be nice to see a team with some Legends. I'd rather not see Gretzky playing against guys like Kariya and Guy Hebert.

If that happened, I would hope Hayward is allowed to suit up for the Ducks just so I can watch him get his ass beat on the ice once again.

RonSwanson*

They like the game at iconic sporting venues (Wrigley Field, Fenway Park, Michigan Stadium etc)

Dodger Stadium and The Rose Bowl (assuming it's not New Years) are the only places that fit that bill in the LA area.

I'm surprised they aren't waiting for Farmers Field to be built.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
They just had the Olympics there. Surely there is a large outdoor venue.

There actually isn't. Vancouver had the first opening ceremonies for the Olympics indoors. BC Place is where both the CFL's BC Lions play and MLS' Vancouver Whitecaps play.

They would have to construct a facility specifically for the game. I'm not saying they wouldn't, but does pose an issue for the Canucks to build a decent facility for one game (maybe two if they can convince the WHL's Vancouver Giants to play). Also, if Bettman is concerned about rain, an outdoor game in Vancouver is probably the worst choice considering a few years ago Vancouver had something like 87 consecutive days with rain in the winter.

I'd suspect you'd see a game in the LA area long before you see a game in Vancouver.

Also, for my money I wouldn't go to a Winter Classic in a winter city. The novelty wore off for me after the first Heritage Classic in Edmonton. I have sat at a football game where it was -40, and that was the Canadian University Championship game. I'm not about to do it for a regular season, largely meaningless, game against the Ducks or whomever.

I still contend that they should figure out how to hold one of these games on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa. But not putting the artificial rink on it, figure out how to make the Canal smooth and play right on the natural ice. That would be an interesting game.

As far as having problems with the ice for a game in LA, I seem to remember LA Live having a skating rink set up around Christmas. I was there in November of 2011 and it was 25 degrees celsius and people were skating. I can't skate, so I didn't test the quality of ice, but I'd imagine it was decent or nobody would skate on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad