Winter classic at Doyers Stadium in 2014??

Captain Mittens*

walsha 10:00am via Twitter for BlackBerry® Per Helene Elliott (LA Times): NHL officials discussing possibility of holding outdoor game in LA next year, likely site is Dodger Stadium.

Please....please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
It won't be the Winter Classic. It'll be some other outdoor game. They're planning on doing 3 or 4 of them next season, which will probably make up for all the lost revenue of the lockout in one fell swoop.

Captain Mittens*

Kings vs Sharks could be a real possibility. Kings fans, Sharks fans would make the trip which means tourism dollars in LA and there would probably be a good amount of Ducks fans that showed up.
That would guarantee max attendance IMO and you know some loser on the East Coast is worried the even won't draw and the NHL will be embarassed

RonSwanson*

Kings vs Sharks could be a real possibility. Kings fans, Sharks fans would make the trip which means tourism dollars in LA and there would probably be a good amount of Ducks fans that showed up.
That would guarantee max attendance IMO and you know some loser on the East Coast is worried the even won't draw and the NHL will be embarassed

That would be my concern... if the event doesn't sell out it would be embarrassing.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
We need a relevant team and SJ is no longer. Maybe we play the Ducks in shorts and on rollerblades? :P

No visors, just shades. And we'll play it in summer on an artificial surface.

Have the Ducks "dress" Emerson Etem, a non-white boy from Los Angeles drafted in the first round. And have Alyssa Milano and Paulina Gretzky in the stands with a ton of other celebs. That's how hockey is in So Cal.

And of course the Stanley Cup and Conn Smyth in the house.

Last edited:

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
For both best ratings on TV, yes this has to come into play, and crowd have an original 6 team come out and play. Do a 5 or 6 start on a Saturday. Since it would be in Jan. or Feb. it would be cooler in the evening for better ice and in prime time for the visiting team. And no real worry about selling out because of it having an original 6 in the mix.

RonSwanson*

We need a relevant team and SJ is no longer. Maybe we play the Ducks in shorts and on rollerblades? :P

No visors, just shades. And we'll play it in summer on an artificial surface.

Have the Ducks "dress" Emerson Etem, a non-white boy from Los Angeles drafted in the first round. And have Alyssa Milano and Paulina Gretzky in the stands with a ton of other celebs. That's how hockey is in So Cal.

And of course the Stanley Cup and Conn Smyth in the house.

I think Kings-Ducks would be preferable to Kings-Sharks.

While I hate the Ducks, it would be a slap in the face to have an outdoor game in LA and they aren't participants.

RonSwanson*

For both best ratings on TV, yes this has to come into play, and crowd have an original 6 team come out and play. Do a 5 or 6 start on a Saturday. Since it would be in Jan. or Feb. it would be cooler in the evening for better ice and in prime time for the visiting team. And no real worry about selling out because of it having an original 6 in the mix.

Do you think more tickets would be sold if it was (hypothetically) Kings vs Hawks rather than Kings vs Ducks?

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Do you think more tickets would be sold if it was (hypothetically) Kings vs Hawks rather than Kings vs Ducks?

Yes and would have a larger TV market as well. I would actually go East vs West in this game. So Detroit, NY or Boston would be my choice. And give all those snowbound people a chance to come out to LA and enjoy an outdoor game not freeze during it.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
It won't be the Winter Classic. It'll be some other outdoor game. They're planning on doing 3 or 4 of them next season, which will probably make up for all the lost revenue of the lockout in one fell swoop.

The Summer Classic?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings vs Canucks would makes sense IMO.

They'd be division rivals, and having a Canadian team would basically guarantee a sell out as thousands and thousands of Vancouver fans would make the trek to LA.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That would be sweet. We should battle the Canucks since their fans seem to come to LA a lot for regular games.

Kings vs Canucks would makes sense IMO.

They'd be division rivals, and having a Canadian team would basically guarantee a sell out as thousands and thousands of Vancouver fans would make the trek to LA.

Rumour has Canucks hosting a Heritage Classic outside next year, so I have my doubts that they'd have their own outdoor game and then also play in an outdoor game in LA.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think it would be a team from the East as the NHL would likely want to increase their TV exposure.
Imagine the jersey potential!!

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Me too.

NHL? Not so sure.

It would be the first time they have had a game in a market with 2 teams. But that would also set a very bad president really. And how would say a game in Yankee stadium work out since that is in 3 teams market.
They could make things better for the Ducks by giving them a promise that if things go well they would get a game either the next year or year after that at the Big A. I know it's Edison Field but I refuse to call it that.

RonSwanson*

It would be the first time they have had a game in a market with 2 teams. But that would also set a very bad president really. And how would say a game in Yankee stadium work out since that is in 3 teams market.
They could make things better for the Ducks by giving them a promise that if things go well they would get a game either the next year or year after that at the Big A. I know it's Edison Field but I refuse to call it that.

Imagine if the 2014 So-Cal game was at the Big A between Anaheim and (Boston, Montreal, NYR).

That would suck for Kings fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad