Winter Classic '15? (NHL schedule expected to be released at 4:00 p.m. ET Sunday)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyers2819

Nov 12, 2013
Springfield VA
Do we have any updates on who the Caps play in next season's Winter Classic or when it should be announced? Last I heard it was between the Flyers and Bruins. I live in the D.C - Northern Virginia area and all my friends are Caps fans and I would love going into the district rocking not red but the orange and black.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The regular season schedule could be released June 22 or 23. If that is accurate, some key dates are generally leaked prior.

Flyers2819

Nov 12, 2013
Springfield VA
The regular season schedule could be released June 22 or 23. If that is accurate, some key dates are generally leaked prior.

Nice thanks. I just remember reading a timmy P article back in april predicting an announcement a few weeks after the article and of couple months later still nothing haha. I think Bryz could do timmy P's job better and be more accurate haha

RJ8812*

maybe not the winter classic, but maybe part of the cash grab stadium series

rWoHockeyman88

Jul 7, 2010
Richmond, VA
Maybe I`m wrong but I heard last year when Washington got the Winter Classic that it would possibly be against Philly...???

I heard that too back in December. I saw this today and just wanted to pass along to my fellow Flyer fans. I hope the Flyers are in it. I am in Richmond, and D.C. is a easy 90 minute drive for me:).

I would save alot of money compared to my trips in Boston and Philly too :)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is the next installment concerning the upcoming schedule release. Home openers will be announced Saturday.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/special-hoc...-nhl-national-broadcast-schedule-this-sunday/

TORONTO (June 19, 2014) Rogers is set to unveil its 2014-15 NHL national broadcast schedule and Sportsnet is giving fans a front row seat with a special half-hour HOCKEY CENTRAL NHL Schedule Preview show this Sunday (June 22) at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT on Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific.

HOCKEY CENTRAL host Jeff Marek guides fans through the upcoming season’s must-see matchups, marquee events and key dates to mark in your calendar, including opening night, the first Saturday of the NHL season and all seven Canadian teams’ schedule.

Additionally, Marek will pinpoint some key dates in next season’s CHL coverage on Sportsnet and go one-on-one interview with top prospect Connor McDavid on his season ahead and being projected as the 1st overall select in the 2015 NHL Draft.

Last edited:

rWoHockeyman88

Jul 7, 2010
Richmond, VA
Makes zero sense.

Yeah, I am not quite sure I understand this one. Especially being Chicago was just in a outdoor game at Soldier Field. Will Blackhawk fans really travel to D.C. for a game the next year in an unstoried ball park?

Philly at least is a 3 hour drive from D.C., that would help generate more attendance.

I'm a little bitter now, I wanted to see another outdoor game. :cry:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Are you guys kidding me??? Don't you remember when the heated Caps/Hawks rivalry that started when... umm... y'know... uhh... they played that game that one time... right? Everyone knows that Ovechkin and Toews absolutely hate each other because that one time one of them did something...

But seriously, this seams like a really random matchup. They should try to keep the games in the same division or at least the same conference so there is some kind of significance.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
It should be a pens flyers winter classic, **** the caps

Obviously, I will be excited to watch the Flyers play in any Winter Classic, especially against the Pens, but it should be spread out. I'd rather see different teams in different locations than the same five 6-8 cycling around. If they are doing 6 games a year or whatever like they did last year, that is a different story, but if they do one or two they should mix it up. STL-COL at Mile High, MIN-SJS and the Vikings new stadium (or U of M's new-ish stadium), CBJ-CAR in Charlotte or at the Horseshoe.

PHI-PIT at Happy Valley would be insane, and I certainly wouldn't complain, but I want to see different teams in different places.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Obviously, I will be excited to watch the Flyers play in any Winter Classic, especially against the Pens, but it should be spread out. I'd rather see different teams in different locations than the same five 6-8 cycling around. If they are doing 6 games a year or whatever like they did last year, that is a different story, but if they do one or two they should mix it up. STL-COL at Mile High, MIN-SJS and the Vikings new stadium (or U of M's new-ish stadium), CBJ-CAR in Charlotte or at the Horseshoe.

PHI-PIT at Happy Valley would be insane, and I certainly wouldn't complain, but I want to see different teams in different places.

The NHL would rather make money than appease the harcore fan base. Casual fans don't care about Carolina/Columbus or St. Louis/Colorado. Casual fans also don't care about rivalries, so Chicago/Washington is just as interesting to them as Chicago/Detroit.

rWoHockeyman88

Jul 7, 2010
Richmond, VA
I pulled up the article and got a good laugh based off the comments.

"I am a huge HAWKS fan , and this game dose not intrigue me anymore then any regular season game . Hope the players enjoy it ..GO HAWKS !!!!!!!!"

"Even as a Caps fan I couldn't care less about them playing the Blackhawks. Maybe the Red Wings because of the Stanley Cup Finals, but seriously thought these were suppose to be rivalry games. The teams aren't even in the same conference."

"And now we know the NHL is out of ideas for these games. I'm a Blackhawks fan and even I don't want to see them in another outdoor game (so soon). "

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The NHL would rather make money than appease the harcore fan base. Casual fans don't care about Carolina/Columbus or St. Louis/Colorado. Casual fans also don't care about rivalries, so Chicago/Washington is just as interesting to them as Chicago/Detroit.

Honestly though, do most hardcore fans care about Carolina/Columbus either??? I sure don't. At the very least the team should have some serious big name star, neither of those teams do... good players but not household names or huge franchise players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad