Pre-Game Talk: @ Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Benning tire fire? :laugh:

He and Sekera have been excelling in bottom pair imo
Nurse could be a little better but he's getting PK mins and more mins in general.
Klef/Lars need to get a little better.

I'm not really a stats guy but Wouldn't it be normal to have higher goal against average from the top pair as they are facing top competition and log the most ice time, or am I reading this wrong?

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'm not really a stats guy but Wouldn't it be normal to have higher goal against average from the top pair as they are facing top competition and log the most ice time, or am I reading this wrong?

You are correct for sure. Those stats are kind of meaningless.

That said Defence has not been our issue this year which is amazing really. All our issues are secondary scoring. Nuge, Ebs, Pou, etc need to score. We are getting no offense from people not name McDavid.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

I believe x (expected) GA takes into account QoC as much as possible, but McLellan seems to run his pairings fairly equally, and even the bottom pairing gets a decent amount of ice time.

His point, according to xGA vs. actual GA, is that Benning and Sekera have been lucky, Nurse is pretty much even, and Larsson and Klefbom have been unlucky (every mistake ends up in the net).

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
you know it feels like the same ol bunkness when the gameday thread is on page 2 at 2pm.....

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
you know it feels like the same ol bunkness when the gameday thread is on page 2 at 2pm.....

giphy.gif

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
No doubt who he was reffering to. You'de have to be blind not to see that. We'll see how both he who shall not be named :sarcasm::sarcasm: and Nuge react to this. Sounds like the coaches laid into a few of them there. Well deserved as well. Have to see better from them at this point in the season. This'll be game 25. More than enough time for people to get there **** together.

haha :sarcasm::sarcasm: and Nuge

:laugh:

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
This and I'd love for the same guy to pull up the stats to how many time Benning has been on the ice when Mcdavid scores. The eye test tells a vastly different story. Guy handles the puck horribly. Example A being last game when he single handedly gave the momentum back to the Leafs after the Oilers made it a 1 goal game.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
This seems to be a common refrain every single year but how come the excuse for Eberle always seems to be a phantom injury being used as a reason for his struggles?

It's just seems like such a bizarre and desperate attempt to defend him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
WTF is expect goals per game? Stats guys are predicting the future with more stats now?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
WTF is expect goals per game? Stats guys are predicting the future with more stats now?

Tries to use shot quality (like shot distance, shot type, if it's a rebound) to determine the quality of the shot attempt. It's not perfect, can't account for screens or passes before the shot forcing goalies to move, but it's still more useful than just using Corsi's.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Tries to use shot quality (like shot distance, shot type, if it's a rebound) to determine the quality of the shot attempt. It's not perfect, can't account for screens or passes before the shot forcing goalies to move, but it's still more useful than just using Corsi's.

Looks pretty useless when you consider nurse is the only one close to the actual

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Looks pretty useless when you consider nurse is the only one close to the actual

Luck and bad luck still play a factor. I was thinking more that it's more useful in determining a players performance, seeing if they are doing a good job of reducing shot quality against for D, or helping create good chances when it comes to forwards. Not so much that it's predictive of the future in a very accurate way. Woodguy's comment was mainly suggesting that Klef/Larsson have been very unlucky relative to other oilers D, aside from Nurse.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006

They use use PreCog psychics and predict GPG. It's the new wave of Advanced Analytics. Everybody's using it!!!! Soon these old GMs and coaches will be replaced by these analytic gurus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad