OT: Winnipeg Sea Bears

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Pro basketball makes its return to Winnipeg - CEBL team Playing in the Canada Life Centre.

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
That's certainly a choice for the name.

860km to York Factory or 1004km to Churchill in a straight line, Hudson Bay being the nearest sea :laugh:
Translation of the Scientific name of the polar bear.

I assume there was an internal debate between "Winnipeg Polar Bears" and "Winnipeg Sea Bears"

I like it - I also really like their text logo. Not sure on the actual logo though.

Already taking deposits for season tickets, CEBL season runs from May-August, which is actually really good for me. Depending on the amount of games I might pick up one.

Reactions: RabidOne

None

Feb 22, 2012
Already taking deposits for season tickets, CEBL season runs from May-August, which is actually really good for me. Depending on the amount of games I might pick up one.

Yeah, that schedule probably works out pretty well for me as well. I might go to a couple games depending on how dense the schedule is when they're playing at home. I'm guessing it's probably a dense home/road schedule to save on travel costs, which would make me hesitant for a full season package.

I like the colour scheme as well assuming it's teal, black, and white. The pointed serif is kind of giving me Kraken vibes but that's probably also because of the primary colour being so similar. The logo is a little bland, kind of just looks like a generic design from any old sports sim create-a-team or a school graphic design project.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Yeah, that schedule probably works out pretty well for me as well. I might go to a couple games depending on how dense the schedule is when they're playing at home. I'm guessing it's probably a dense home/road schedule to save on travel costs, which would make me hesitant for a full season package.

I like the colour scheme as well assuming it's teal, black, and white. The pointed serif is kind of giving me Kraken vibes but that's probably also because of the primary colour being so similar. The logo is a little bland, kind of just looks like a generic design from any old sports sim create-a-team or a school graphic design project.

Yeah, I'm assuming there will be some flex-packs or something, which will probably be what I go for.

I've kind of fallen in love with Basketball over the past few years, so I'm pretty excited for this.

And I watch so much baseball during the summer, I can't see myself hitting up too many Goldeyes games

Reactions: None

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Well, a Sea Bear can hit 10 feet in height, and lord knows they can cover ground quick. I think we can expect some solid post play and heavy dunks; not sure about % from the field.

Another interesting sporting option for the city, should be plenty of interest especially from younger groups who've grown up with basketball. Best of luck to the 'Bears.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

Fi1OtS7XwAAvNzB

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
So Bombers and Jets get most fans

Where do these teams rank in fans per game in 2023. My guess

1. Moose
2. Goldeyes
3. new BB team
4. Valour
5. Ice

Tom ServoMST3K

Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
So Bombers and Jets get most fans

Where do these teams rank in fans per game in 2023. My guess

1. Moose
2. Goldeyes
3. new BB team
4. Valour
5. Ice

I think you're overrating the Moose, at least based on their 2021/2022 number.

Moose averaged just under 3,000

Goldeyes averaged 4,500 this year.

Valour Averaged 3,100 this year.

Right now, assuming the Ice are at the bottom it would be (per-game, no playoffs):

Bombers
Jets
Goldeyes
Valour
Moose
Ice

I wonder what would be the highest attended per-game team after those in Manitoba - Probably Bisons football?

I assume Bisons hockey/Volleyball would be out-paced by the best MJHL team averages.

The Steinbach Pistons are averaging right around 850-900 per game this season. I should look at historical rankings.

EDIT: For some reason (Probably the fact I've never lived in SW Manitoba) I forgot the Wheat Kings.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I think you're overrating the Moose, at least based on their 2021/2022 number.

Moose averaged just under 3,000

Goldeyes averaged 4,500 this year.

Valour Averaged 3,100 this year.

Right now, assuming the Ice are at the bottom it would be (per-game, no playoffs):

Bombers
Jets
Goldeyes
Valour
Moose
Ice

I wonder what would be the highest attended per-game team after those in Manitoba - Probably Bisons football?

I assume Bisons hockey/Volleyball would be out-paced by the best MJHL team averages.

The Steinbach Pistons are averaging right around 850-900 per game this season. I should look at historical rankings.

To me it seems like attendance and fan passion/interest are two different things.

No question that the Jets and Bombers generate the most passion, by far. But some teams like the Goldeyes get decent attendance, yet I honestly wonder how many fans in the stands could name even three players. By contrast, Valour and the ICE get small crowds by their league's standards, yet the fans who are there are pretty passionate.

I could see the Sea Bears being more like the Goldeyes. People will go for fun pro basketball razzle-dazzle (the way they used to for the Thunder), but I don't expect too many people to become passionate followers of the team.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Good thing Chipman caved and chose the name Jets instead of Polar Bears or whatever his first choice was going to be!

Brain Little

Curtain jerker, forum lurker
Nov 14, 2019
Parts unknown

I saw this headline in the Free Press and thought they had signed a dead guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad