Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: Land Auction Date Set - 6/27

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
There is no reality in which AM Jr should be telling Shane Doan that he isn't ready to be president of hockey operations. AM Jr couldn't carry Doan's jockstrap. Someone half your age with less experience than you in all forms of hockey tells you that you aren't good enough? Yeah, I'd be outta there too.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I agree that Doan is not ready to be POHO (a more senior role than BA), but also, f*** AM Jr.

1714506603885.png

Naych_PHX

Feeling Salty
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Glendale wanted them locked down for another 12 years........... at minimum.

Why do people refuse to get it into their heads that the Coyotes were a major traffic driver??

And Hulsizer was a clown.
They were all clowns yes. Just buy and flip. No potential owner wanted to cared to keep the team.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
"The first year was sick," one NHL player told ESPN. "We were all excited to check it out and honestly it was a cool place to play. Crowd was great, it got loud. But it was a novelty. When we went back this year, nobody was looking forward to the experience outside of a trip to Arizona. It's like, 'We have to do this s--- again?' I don't know how their players put up with it for so long."

This is such an entitled quote from an opposing player who likely had to play, max, 2 or 3 games in Mullett a year. Get over yourself.
This could fit under the definition of "first world problem". What a melodramatic dolt. Playing in Hockey Hair Arena had zero point zero impact on away teams. They show up, played on same size ice and went to their hotel. Just like every other arena.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
Los Angeles, CA & Surprise, AZ
This could fit under the definition of "first world problem". What a melodramatic dolt. Playing in Hockey Hair Arena had zero point zero impact on away teams. They show up, played on same size ice and went to their hotel. Just like every other arena.
Actually from what I've read, most players found the ice surface to be amongst the best in the NHL. Isn't that what should be of most importance to a "hockey" player?

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
It's lifestyles of the rich and infamous I'm afraid.
I think all of the criticism of AM Jr is over the top. Nepotism is the most common thing in most industries, especially among the wealthy.

I worked in the film industry for years (mostly commercials and music videos). Most of the grips and electricians are 2nd and 3rd generation. Directors all make their family members directors.
Ridley Scott (son and brother Tony who jumped of a bridge in Long Beach) and FF Coppola (son, daughter, cousin...)to name a couple.

Who in this chat if they were wealthy and owned a business wouldn't make plans for their son or daughter to take over? It's the American way.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
About Doan. Met him a bunch of times, we talked horses, kids, anything but hockey or medicine. Love the guy. He’s in the right place with Treliving. I wouldn’t have wanted him to be in this AM meat grinder. Junior did him a favor when all said and done.

Reactions: TheLegend

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I think all of the criticism of AM Jr is over the top. Nepotism is the most common thing in most industries, especially among the wealthy.

I worked in the film industry for years (mostly commercials and music videos). Most of the grips and electricians are 2nd and 3rd generation. Directors all make their family members directors.
Ridley Scott (son and brother Tony who jumped of a bridge in Long Beach) and FF Coppola (son, daughter, cousin...)to name a couple.

Who in this chat if they were wealthy and owned a business wouldn't make plans for their son or daughter to take over? It's the American way.

My father did the opposite.

He didn’t give me many favors when I worked for him. Showed up late for work one day and he promptly sent my ass home right in front of all the other employees.

He knew I was hurt by it but later explained to me why he did it. He didn’t want the other employees feeling I could get away with things. Also knew I could put up with any shit from the others later on.

One of the best lessons I could have learned.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

The difference is that I would make my kids get at least a basic understanding of the industry and shadow mentors and get experience and advice from smart and capable people. These rich asswipes like Meruelo just throw the livelihoods and futures of dozens, hundreds of people into the sweaty, weak palms of their unprepared offspring because they CAN, because they believe that their money gives them the privilege.

F*** that noise. Money might buy opportunity but it doesn't provide entitlement.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Directors all make their family members directors.
You've opened the door for my one Hollywood name drop opportunity! My brother-in-law Bill was a professor for 8 years at Loyola Marymount U. between LAX and Marina del Rey/Venice. For a time, they lived next door to Coppola's brother-in-law, also named Bill. AND, Coppola's brother-in-law's surname is the same as my sister's maiden name (and obviously, my current one), although spelled differently.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Actually from what I've read, most players found the ice surface to be amongst the best in the NHL. Isn't that what should be of most importance to a "hockey" player?
This year's player's poll didn't have Mullett ice in top 5 and not sure it even got a vote for best ice.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017

There is a difference between someone being brought in as family to LEARN and DEVELOP into the role they are going to be left, There is a difference between someone who knows they are out of their depth and has no idea what they are doing, and someone who assumes everything they know is right and that they know more than the people who have been in the business 40 years.

You wanna groom your son to take over the franchise when you're gone? Sure. By all means. Let him sit in the meetings. Let him hear GMBA talk about what makes a winning roster and what their plan is. Listen to what Tourigny says about on ice coaching and building a culture. Listen to how Gary Bettman and XG handle media.

Don't give your kid power over social media, power over the staff, and tell them they can do whatever they want. Maybe also don't raise someone who has zero self awareness and a healthy dose of arrogance, but that ship has sailed and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010

He didn’t give me many favors when I worked for him. Showed up late for work one day and he promptly sent my ass home right in front of all the other employees.

He knew I was hurt by it but later explained to me why he did it. He didn’t want the other employees feeling I could get away with things. Also knew I could put up with any shit from the others later on.

So you worked for you father? I think that was a point I was making.
There is a difference between someone being brought in as family to LEARN and DEVELOP into the role they are going to be left, There is a difference between someone who knows they are out of their depth and has no idea what they are doing, and someone who assumes everything they know is right and that they know more than the people who have been in the business 40 years.

You wanna groom your son to take over the franchise when you're gone? Sure. By all means. Let him sit in the meetings. Let him hear GMBA talk about what makes a winning roster and what their plan is. Listen to what Tourigny says about on ice coaching and building a culture. Listen to how Gary Bettman and XG handle media.

Don't give your kid power over social media, power over the staff, and tell them they can do whatever they want. Maybe also don't raise someone who has zero self awareness and a healthy dose of arrogance, but that ship has sailed and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Being put in charge of social media is no big deal. I worked for a Japanese production company and the owner put his wife in charge and she did a great job.

AM Jr. was not running the company, but I bet when it comes to having him LEARN and DEVELOP,
being around his father and the number of diverse companies that he owns, is a better experience than any Ivy League business School education.

I'm a baby boomer and I think that's a huge advantage. It seems every day there's a story of people's lives being ruined because of unsubstantiated rumors or hearsay on some social media platform. I'm amazed at how sure people are on this site about Meruelo and his family. These are people that have never met either of them or witnessed what's been said about them. I've learned early on to not make a judgement on someone I've never met or know anything about.
We don't really know what AM Jr. did or how he handled it.

Reactions: Desert Ice 11

LAIslanderFan

Nov 18, 2010
This year's player's poll didn't have Mullett ice in top 5 and not sure it even got a vote for best ice.
Many of the players equate the ice with the arena experience. MSG made the top 5 in a poll and the ice there is notoriously bad because of all the other uses (basketball, concerts...
My understanding is the pipes under the concrete are closer together than other rinks (probabaly because it's aa newer rink) and that makes the ice surface better. If you google enough articles, players comments were 100% complimentary of the ice. One of the people on the site, I believe it was "GhostofTommyBolin" skated on it and spoke quite highly of it. I think that's the only positive thing he's ever posted. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen and Jakey53

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018

This is the way.

But i have seen a lot of companies were the kids took over and things changed.
I worked for one a couple of years back and an employee who worked for them (40y+) told me that back in the day the owner would always go through one Department of his two factory sites in the city every friday. And talked to the workers, supervisors etc.
Watched them work. Asked them questions and knew what was going on.
People appreciate that and it helps both the company and workers If everybody knows whats going on.
But his kid never does that. And while He worked in most departments of the two main factories before taking over, there is now a disconect between the workforce and the leadership.

And yes the company is thriving but things can change on a dime in the buisness world. So having a good connection between to your workforce is good, because then you see problems faster and can adjust fastern

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer Rose

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
All that being built and yet we can't fid someone that wants to own here rich enough to build his own arena and entertainment center without some sort of city or taxpayer involvement.
<blockquote class="tiktok-embed" cite="" data-video-id="7362018181533207850" style="max-width: 605px;min-width: 325px;" > <section> <a target="_blank" title="@bvrealestate" href="https://www.tiktok.com/@bvrealestate?refer=embed">@bvrealestate</a> @City of Phoenix is changing at a rapid pace. Take a look at these 25 huge projects that are already underway in 2024. If you can’t see where the growth of this city is headed after watching this, I don’t know how else to explain it. This information was sourced from an article posted by the Phoenix Business Journal on 01&#47;19&#47;24. <a title="phoenix" target="_blank" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">#phoenix</a> <a title="scottsdale" target="_blank" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">#scottsdale</a> <a title="growth" target="_blank" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">#growth</a> <a title="news" target="_blank" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">#news</a> <a target="_blank" title="♬ Big Time - Confidant" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">♬ Big Time - Confidant</a> </section> </blockquote> <script async src="https://www.tiktok.com/embed.js"></script>

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
About Doan. Met him a bunch of times, we talked horses, kids, anything but hockey or medicine. Love the guy. He’s in the right place with Treliving. I wouldn’t have wanted him to be in this AM meat grinder. Junior did him a favor when all said and done.
Doan left to learn. He was not ready, and Doan knows this. He left for a job in the NHL capital of the world. He is in the hockey pressure capital of the world as well.

Working for your father is hard. I'm talking from experience.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I am curious as to why Meruelo was approved as an owner in the first place. It's apparent that his tendency to skip bills, his strongarm tactics, etc., are historic in nature and not just limited to his time as owner of the Coyotes. None of this was a red flag to the NHL?

I think if you dial it back to when he became Coyotes owner five years ago, the NHL either:

1. Was unaware of Meruelo's past business tactics. If so, this means the NHL did an incredibly poor background check. By comparison, Katie Strang was able to suss out this info with a few phone calls.

2. Was aware of Meruelo's past business tactics, and yet still made the determination that this was not a problem for them and that he remained a good candidate for NHL ownership. If so, that is shady on behalf of the NHL, and calls into question what other sort of behaviors are happening with other clubs and the league itself.

3. Was aware OR unaware of Meruelo's past business tactics, and that any alternative to the outgoing Coyotes ownership was seen as an improvement. The NHL saw Meruelo as a solution, or a temporary solution, to the prior ownership of Andrew Barroway and his cash shortages.

Whichever scenario you pick, all three reflect poorly on the NHL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So you worked for you father? I think that was a point I was making.

Being put in charge of social media is no big deal. I worked for a Japanese production company and the owner put his wife in charge and she did a great job.

AM Jr. was not running the company, but I bet when it comes to having him LEARN and DEVELOP,
being around his father and the number of diverse companies that he owns, is a better experience than any Ivy League business School education.

I'm a baby boomer and I think that's a huge advantage. It seems every day there's a story of people's lives being ruined because of unsubstantiated rumors or hearsay on some social media platform. I'm amazed at how sure people are on this site about Meruelo and his family. These are people that have never met either of them or witnessed what's been said about them. I've learned early on to not make a judgement on someone I've never met or know anything about.
We don't really know what AM Jr. did or how he handled it.
Great post. Isn't social media great.:sarcasm::laugh::laugh:Why doesn't anyone bring up that Jr. and XG had a big part of hiring GMBA. The only person that I heard from the mouth anything about AM and the Coyote's is Nash. He said he had nothing but good things to say, said they stayed in the best hotels and their plane was first class. He said he was always treated well.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
All that being built and yet we can't fid someone that wants to own here rich enough to build his own arena and entertainment center without some sort of city or taxpayer involvement.
<blockquote class="tiktok-embed" cite="" data-video-id="7362018181533207850" style="max-width: 605px;min-width: 325px;" > <section> <a target="_blank" title="@bvrealestate" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">@bvrealestate</a> @City of Phoenix is changing at a rapid pace. Take a look at these 25 huge projects that are already underway in 2024. If you can’t see where the growth of this city is headed after watching this, I don’t know how else to explain it. This information was sourced from an article posted by the Phoenix Business Journal on 01&#47;19&#47;24. <a title="phoenix" target="_blank" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">#phoenix</a> <a title="scottsdale" target="_blank" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">#scottsdale</a> <a title="growth" target="_blank" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">#growth</a> <a title="news" target="_blank" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">#news</a> <a target="_blank" title="♬ Big Time - Confidant" href="TikTok - Make Your Day">♬ Big Time - Confidant</a> </section> </blockquote> <script async src="https://www.tiktok.com/embed.js"></script>

I wonder what kind of incentives these big projects are getting? You really think the cities on some of these big projects aren't involved?

I am curious as to why Meruelo was approved as an owner in the first place. It's apparent that his tendency to skip bills, his strongarm tactics, etc., are historic in nature and not just limited to his time as owner of the Coyotes. None of this was a red flag to the NHL?

I think if you dial it back to when he became Coyotes owner five years ago, the NHL either:

1. Was unaware of Meruelo's past business tactics. If so, this means the NHL did an incredibly poor background check. By comparison, Katie Strang was able to suss out this info with a few phone calls.

2. Was aware of Meruelo's past business tactics, and yet still made the determination that this was not a problem for them and that he remained a good candidate for NHL ownership. If so, that is shady on behalf of the NHL, and calls into question what other sort of behaviors are happening with other clubs and the league itself.

3. Was aware OR unaware of Meruelo's past business tactics, and that any alternative to the outgoing Coyotes ownership was seen as an improvement. The NHL saw Meruelo as a solution, or a temporary solution, to the prior ownership of Andrew Barroway and his cash shortages.

Whichever scenario you pick, all three reflect poorly on the NHL.
The NHL doesn't rely on social media to form their opinions on people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad