Winnipeg owners in NYC tuesday to meet with NHL Exec. committee

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
So, if MH and COG had finalized a sale, why does it seem that MH wouldn't have had to go through this same thing? Emergency BOG vote. This is something that probably goes on for normal sales, not the hush hush ones MH/NHL tried to do.

I do fear that even though TNSE has displayed a mature attitude, jumped through all the NHL hoops and even sold the season ticket drive very quickly, the NHL could throw a swerve and deny this sale because some guy in Atlanta who has a 20 dollar bill in his wallet wants to keep the team in Atlanta.

I understand that you dont want to get to overly optimistic until it is all "done"
But personally, I think they are way to far gone for anyone to show up in Atlanta to buy and keep the team there.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
The current economics makes it difficult for small market teams to survive, let along turn a profit due to the fact that broadcast revenue is a big portion. It is alarming that these guys don't have this set up, network partnership or anything out there. Will advertising and broadcasting contracts extend into manitoba and possibly into other provinces? Is there a guarantee for hockey night in canada to be broadcast from games in winnipeg (could pay 1-2 players' salary for that week)?
Most of this is ridiculous but I have to comment on one thing - EVERY TEAM GETS 1/30TH OF THE MONEY FROM THE HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA CONTRACT, regardless of how many times they are shown on HNIC. In fact most teams want to NOT be on HNIC, which would then free them up to sell that game as a local broadcast. The Leafs would absolutely love having only 2 games on HNIC a year, allowing them to sell 80 games to Sportsnet, Leafs TV, etc.

Carry on.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
This meeting will go as follows.

The representatives of all 28 teams (+ the artificial respirator representing Phoenix) will be seated around a table, and the Winnipeg crew will walk in, put the season ticket holder list and waiting list on the table. The Habs, Leafs, Rangers, Flyers, Wings, Kings, etc, you know the rich teams who financed Atlanta, say attaboy and sign. The other poorer teams see that they will get higher welfare checks, so they sign too. Bettman tries to throw in a demand for a 20,000 arena to move the team, which causes Geoff Molson to rise from his seat and ***** slap him behind the head. And then he does it again as retribution for the league borking the Molson Coors sponsorship deal. Now properly subdued and crying, Bettman signs.

You know this is how it will happen.

Noeller

Dec 13, 2007
Oil Country

The representatives of all 28 teams (+ the artificial respirator representing Phoenix) will be seated around a table, and the Winnipeg crew will walk in, put the season ticket holder list and waiting list on the table. The Habs, Leafs, Rangers, Flyers, Wings, Kings, etc, you know the rich teams who financed Atlanta, say attaboy and sign. The other poorer teams see that they will get higher welfare checks, so they sign too. Bettman tries to throw in a demand for a 20,000 arena to move the team, which causes Geoff Molson to rise from his seat and ***** slap him behind the head. And then he does it again as retribution for the league borking the Molson Coors sponsorship deal. Now properly subdued and crying, Bettman signs.

I'd actually buy it, if they televised it on PPV ;)

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The Leafs would absolutely love having only 2 games on HNIC a year, allowing them to sell 80 games to Sportsnet, Leafs TV, etc.

Carry on.

I'm not sure that is true. Because HNIC games are national games, they would not be blacked out in the Toronto broadcast region; hence, it would mean more broadcasts of other teams come into their region, which could reduce the viewing fanbase for the Leafs and hence reduce the price that they could charge for local games.

Plus I think there is something to gain by the team being broadcast outside its local TV territory. Even if it is just goodwill towards Leaf fans who are now stuck in the broadcast regions of other Canadian teams.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON

I don't think that will happen. However, any timeline that results in Gary Bettman being *****ed slapped, gets a :thumbu: from me...:laugh:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Sigh. People are making too much out of this.

TNSE is not meeting with the BoG - it is meeting with the 6-member NHL Executive Committee of the BoG.

This is part of the standard process in approving a sale. The prospective owners meet with the Executive Committee, the Committee then makes a formal recommendation to the full BoG, which later holds the official vote to approve the sale.

Case in point: Terry Pegula met with the Executive Committee on Jan 29, and the BoG voted to approve the sale at a full BoG special meeting on Feb 18.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door

Should't it be 27 teams as the Stars are under the tender loving care of the Creditors on top of the artificial respirator?

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Additionally, the meeting is to figure out where exactly they are at reliance on gate revenue v. Licensing and to ensure they have transitioned from an AHL mindset (gate and licensing driven) to a NHL mindset.

Mr.Thompson did not get to be a billionaire by losing money in a business, he made money. If he can not make money, he will unload the big club (this will be a sticking point IMO) . The league wants to make sure the team is in a position, hence the scrutiny.

It seems like reality does not strike some here, I hope some can see the issues involved here.

I found this line hilariously ironic.

Do you know ANYTHING about TNSE's business plan, especially WRT the SHED? Do you understand that this is about way more than the hockey team and the NHL? The hockey team is an anchor tenant that will make the whole business plan work.

Take some time and read about it, and then you might understand more about why people consider this franchise to be one of the more stable ones in the league despite the fact that it is 'brand new'. It has very little to do with David Thomson's wealth.

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
I found this line hilariously ironic.

Do you know ANYTHING about TNSE's business plan, especially WRT the SHED? Do you understand that this is about way more than the hockey team and the NHL? The hockey team is an anchor tenant that will make the whole business plan work.

Take some time and read about it, and then you might understand more about why people consider this franchise to be one of the more stable ones in the league despite the fact that it is 'brand new'. It has very little to do with David Thomson's wealth.

I agree. Thomson believes in this because he is looking at the potential of the SHED project. There is potential in the area to light up downtown. Having an anchor tennant like the NHL bringing people to the area is huge too. Also, for players, season long suites in the hotel complex might be a luring thing to some young players who don't want to stay in Winnipeg all year.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
So, if MH and COG had finalized a sale, why does it seem that MH wouldn't have had to go through this same thing? Emergency BOG vote. This is something that probably goes on for normal sales, not the hush hush ones MH/NHL tried to do.

I do fear that even though TNSE has displayed a mature attitude, jumped through all the NHL hoops and even sold the season ticket drive very quickly, the NHL could throw a swerve and deny this sale because some guy in Atlanta who has a 20 dollar bill in his wallet wants to keep the team in Atlanta.

True North has a signed purchase letter in place to buy the Thrashers. To my knowledge, no such signed agreement was in place with MH & Phoenix. If the NHL were to back out now, the liquidated damages TNSE would receive would far exceed the sales price. The BOG vote will be a formality at this point. The last hurdle was the ticket sale drive which was a smashing success. That team is playing in Manitoba next year.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Here's to hoping the members of TNSE accidentally spill the pitcher of red Kool-Aid on the board room table all over the League's Executive Committees' new suits. ;)

Only chance we got.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
True North has a signed purchase letter in place to buy the Thrashers. To my knowledge, no such signed agreement was in place with MH & Phoenix. If the NHL were to back out now, the liquidated damages TNSE would receive would far exceed the sales price. The BOG vote will be a formality at this point. The last hurdle was the ticket sale drive which was a smashing success. That team is playing in Manitoba next year.

Uhh - no.

Any sales agreement between ASG & TNSE would have to be conditional on approval by the NHL. That is all ASG can legally sell - a franchise in Atlanta, subject to League approval on both the transfer of ownership and relocation. There would be no damages under the purchase agreement.

If the NHL vetoed the deal, the only potential damages would be if TNSE and/or ASG sued the NHL on anti-trust grounds.

That said, it's pretty clear that the BoG will approve the sale with no issues.

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

:handclap:
That's made me chuckle

p.s. Go Nords

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
I really, really, really find it amusing that some people think there is any chance this deal gets thrown out.

It will pass unanimously.

southpaw24

Dec 3, 2005
Owen Sound, ON
True North is dealing with a different animal in the NHL, where gate revenue does not make the lion's share, and a small tv market where broadcasting revenue is going to be a fight. If any of these things goes wrong, try want to scrutinize that he won't unload the team to cut his losses.

There are a ton of jokes about DT being a billionaire, but the 13k is one portion of it. The 13k is going to ensure the mts centre is maintained and staff is paid. Owning a sports team in a new market is much like sitting at a roulette table and a gamble.

If the team starts bleeding money, then the same trouble as in 96 will happen again under the current ownership. There are certain issues that concern me as a fan of hockey overall. All I am saying is that I am happy there's a fanbase willing to pay (though they could have and should have charged more if the demand was that great).

The current economics makes it difficult for small market teams to survive, let along turn a profit due to the fact that broadcast revenue is a big portion. It is alarming that these guys don't have this set up, network partnership or anything out there. Will advertising and broadcasting contracts extend into manitoba and possibly into other provinces? Is there a guarantee for hockey night in canada to be broadcast from games in winnipeg (could pay 1-2 players' salary for that week)?

What type of radio/internet broadcast will there be? Who is a major sponsor? New ads
Around mts.

These are the questions being asked, the "moneyball" questions. Consequently the same signs you should be looking for. Manitoba telecom has the naming rights to the arena, but the naming rights to each section are important like here in nj belvedere owns the rights to the ice lounge along with local business groups. These are the true signs of security in a market.

Ummm really?

AndersUlfBobby

Sec 6A Row 29 Seat 1
May 24, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Jacobs
Snider
Ilitch
Leipold
Dolan

... I think... brain farting here

Jacobs!! Jacobs!!.... oh oh, those of us who remember the WHA/NHL merger (okay expansion if you insist) back in the 1970s remembers that Jacobs was one of those who was most against the WHA teams joining the NHL.

manisback121

Feb 28, 2008
Ummm really?

Graduated with a concentrated minor in economics, with business and economics credits in sports and entertainment industries as this was initially what I wanted to do in school as an undergrad. Almost had a paper published for microeconomics class analyzing the evolving business model of the national hockey league. Reliance on the media and advertising industries has grown more in the recent 20 to 30 years than it had between the 50s and 70s with the slow integration of license to broadcast games.

Media broadcasting and consequently television dollars were instituted to assist the recovery from when Ore retired and the coming of the great one. Gretzky's publicity and such increased demand astronomically to where tv demand was so great that the teams in the league could no longer walk away from the cash and exposure when it was evident that gate revenue was no longer going to help turn a profit.

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
He did go through the same thing. He received unanimous approval from the Executive. A ringing endorsement. There may or may not have been muffins.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=344997

Hulsizer met with the executive committee of the NHL Board of Governors this week and came away with the group's unanimous endorsement of his purchase of the team.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I'm going to guess that Thomson, Chipman and Co. have done their homework on the Winnipeg situation. Certainly more than any of the armchair economists posting here at least. Things are looking promising.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Graduated with a concentrated minor in economics, with business and economics credits in sports and entertainment industries as this was initially what I wanted to do in school as an undergrad. Almost had a paper published for microeconomics class analyzing the evolving business model of the national hockey league. Reliance on the media and advertising industries has grown more in the recent 20 to 30 years than it had between the 50s and 70s with the slow integration of license to broadcast games.

This is an unusual statement to make when attempting to establish one's credentials. Was the manuscript not submitted or was it rejected by the referees during peer review?

davemac1313

Jan 20, 2011
Keewatin, Ontario

Media broadcasting and consequently television dollars were instituted to assist the recovery from when Orr retired and the coming of the great one. Gretzky's publicity and such increased demand astronomically to where tv demand was so great that the teams in the league could no longer walk away from the cash and exposure when it was evident that gate revenue was no longer going to help turn a profit.

Yet the elusive Mega TV deal failed to materialize, was it because the American market overall views Hockey as NOT Americas past time or was it the failure of league governance to capitalize?

It is still today a gate driven league, it will never be Baseball where half empty stadiums don't matter, cause TV pays the bills. No fannies in the seats mean no revenue, means no owners willing to lose, which is where we are today.

Until the fans realize that if they sit at home and watch, rather than fill the arena, markets will struggle and fail. Sell all the tickets, get a waiting list, all which pays the bills, and the other, TV and licensing etc are the gravy for the owners and you ensure a healthy league.

Economics says make money and then it is easier to make more. Make money with great product, fair price and a Thank You to you fans and you are sure to make even more.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca

Media broadcasting and consequently television dollars were instituted to assist the recovery from when Ore retired and the coming of the great one. Gretzky's publicity and such increased demand astronomically to where tv demand was so great that the teams in the league could no longer walk away from the cash and exposure when it was evident that gate revenue was no longer going to help turn a profit.

well then you are going to LOVE the first 4 star hotel in winnipeg that True North is planning to build across portage from MTS centre.
the team is only a small part of a BIG plan for downtown Winnipeg.... wish i had a link...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad